• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

This is a crowded primary field. The eventual nominee will win with without votes from the vast majority of Dem voters. The primary should be like team coming together to pick their best player, not a nasty battle royale that leaves all participants scarred. The tweet thread scares me. Those are people who will never vote for Pete. Part of the incumbent advantage is that the incumbent is the "devil you know." People who convince themselves that Pete is the devil will either not show up or vote for Trump so they can try to get their candidate again in four years.

At what cost, though? You obviously have animus towards Mayor Pete. If it bears out that he is the candidate most likely to defeat Trump, I don't care if he slaughters puppies in his basement and eats them for breakfast, you go vote for him. There's no room for ideological purity, or policy or anything else other than 'is this the mostly likely candidate to beat Trump'. Period, control-c, control-v eleventy billion times plus infinity. Period. Period. Period. Don't bother arguing the issues because it's irrelevant. I know that sucks, but we're past that point now. It's a singular motive now. Sorry.

Don't police Strickland's posts! He wants everyone to know that Pete is an odious republican!

If it bears out that he is the candidate most likely to defeat Trump, I don't care if he slaughters puppies in his basement and eats them for breakfast, you go vote for him.

giphy.gif

This is a crowded primary field. The eventual nominee will win with without votes from the vast majority of Dem voters. The primary should be like team coming together to pick their best player, not a nasty battle royale that leaves all participants scarred. The tweet thread scares me. Those are people who will never vote for Pete. Part of the incumbent advantage is that the incumbent is the "devil you know." People who convince themselves that Pete is the devil will either not show up or vote for Trump so they can try to get their candidate again in four years.

Why is Pete trying to convince his followers that Warren and Sanders are devils? It cuts both ways, man. Again, Pete started the negative campaigning to try and skim support off of Biden’s and Warren’s bases. Why you’re okay with this is beyond me.

Also, you don’t know what you’re taking about re: NY Communities for Change. Their base votes early and often, responsible for big electoral victories at the state level and - again - major players in Obama’s 2008 run. You need groups like NYCC in your corner. You don’t alienate them. Those are the Democrats that you can’t afford to lose.

I’m sorry if this post triggers you, birdman. Thanks again for GW!

Why is Pete trying to convince his followers that Warren and Sanders are devils? It cuts both ways, man. Again, Pete started the negative campaigning to try and skim support off of Biden’s and Warren’s bases. Why you’re okay with this is beyond me.

Also, you don’t know what you’re taking about re: NY Communities for Change. Their base votes early and often, responsible for big electoral victories at the state level and - again - major players in Obama’s 2008 run. You need groups like NYCC in your corner. You don’t alienate them. Those are the Democrats that you can’t afford to lose.

I’m sorry if this post triggers you, birdman. Thanks again for GW!

Apology accepted, thanks.

Do you have links to or examples of Pete's negative campaigning? When did he say Sanders was the devil?

Unlike Bernie, who was apparently OK with his supporters openly revolting against the Democratic nominee at the 2016 national convention.

or shouting down town halls/harassing candidates with GOTCHA videos ripe for the twittersphere

Unlike Bernie, who was apparently OK with his supporters openly revolting against the Democratic nominee at the 2016 national convention.

He campaigned harder for Clinton than Clinton did, but thanks for playing.

Who cares? That was ages ago, when everyone, expect the Bobs, thought Trump was a joke and would lose in a landslide. It's time for unity in Democratic Party. Lectro and BSF are running the country right now, who cares if Bernie supporters were less than enthusiastic for Hillary except in the sense that we should learn our lessons and unite the left.

Bloomberg went halfway in pledging $10M to support Dems in Trump voting House districts. He should pledge another $50M to support Senate candidates in contested races.

If Trump wants to attack Hunter Biden, ALL of the Dem candidates should start asking for investigations into Trump's adult kids and Jared. Every day, one of the Dems running should be doing this.

Apology accepted, thanks.

Do you have links to or examples of Pete's negative campaigning? When did he say Sanders was the devil?

I posted a tweet from his campaign earlier that you can find thats a good example of this.

When did I or anybody say that Pete was the devil? Do you have any links?

Who cares? That was ages ago, when everyone, expect the Bobs, thought Trump was a joke and would lose in a landslide. It's time for unity in Democratic Party. Lectro and BSF are running the country right now, who cares if Bernie supporters were less than enthusiastic for Hillary except in the sense that we should learn our lessons and unite the left.
I tried telling you guys how dangerous bernie was early.

I posted a tweet from his campaign earlier that you can find thats a good example of this.

When did I or anybody say that Pete was the devil? Do you have any links?

I didn't accuse you of that. You said Pete was odious and running as a Republican, which I consider worse than the devil actually, but I didn't accuse you of calling him the devil. Odious is a heavily negative word; it means repulsive. Mitch MConell is repulsive, Trump is repulsive, Pete is a little too close with Wall Street and his policy proposals are too deferential to the corporate power and aren't progressive enough. There's a difference.

What happened to you, man?

I'm not going to word this well at all, but have you noticed multiple posters attitudes/reactions toward you (and townie) have changed recently? I like both of you a lot and I think we agree on the vast majority of stuff, but I've felt myself wanting to push back against you and defend Pete (which certainly feels weird). When I think about it, first I'm bummed because again, why do I feel like I want to argue with people I like and agree with. But I think it's because there is a perception that you are being unreasonable, or at least disproportionate, with some of these attacks. Maybe it's just the framing or whatever, but some of it feels more tribal than actual good faith or fact based, reasoned arguments. Like assuming a guy does is scummy or unethical without evidence because of a job he had out of school. Or calling a guy a republican when there is such a giant chasm between him and any GOP policy. Those are just bad, unconvincing arguments. I sort of expect it from MHB, he's shown he's not particularly interested in discussed policy or real solutions. But not you guys.

And it feels a bit asymmetric too (at least from the reasonable posters). Like I think Bernie is dead wrong about nuclear, and therefore don't love his climate plan. But I think he's a good dude trying to do his best to do what he think is right, I'm not fundamentally questioning his motives or what kind of person he is without good evidence. By all means call out Pete because you believe his arguments are wrong. But this this GOP operative, Mckinsey scum, purity test stuff all feels a little gross to me.

This should be the Dems mantra until the election is over.

They need to throw away their designer coffees, wine and cheese and participation trophy mentality.

Back