• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Twitter found out a prominent left-leaning Twitter personality gave the max donation to Mayor Pete. They freaked out and demanded an explanation.

https://www.businessinsider.com/nic...or-buttigieg-donation-college-assault-2019-12

The Twitter user who Cliffe addressed in a since-deleted tweet wrote, "several of my friends will just straight-up f---ing die young if Buttigieg got elected and keeps our health insurance system as it is, but I guess it's probably more important to have solidarity with your rich Harvard classmates than with the f---ing people."

In her now-deleted tweet and in replies that are still public, Cliffe explained that she decided to donate to Buttigieg when she first learned that he was running because he saved her "from a potential assault in college."

Based on published accounts, he didn't use a spreadsheet or PowerPoint either. He just did the right thing because he's a good person.

That scene in the film is creepy like much of the film. If he plagiarized a Labour ad, that’s probably even better.

Tom Steyer put out an ad that disqualifies him. It is supporting term limits. Ask the 40+ Republicans who lost in 2018, if we have term limits or not. It's called voting.

CNN: How Buttigieg has drawn the fury of the online left

Throughout the Trump presidency Democrats have insisted that removing him from office is a top priority, but the #neverPete sentiment is testing that.

Asked whether he would vote for Buttigieg if he were the nominee, Uhl wouldn't say.

"I don't know," he replied. "On a theoretical level, you're under no obligation to vote. Not voting is as important to consider as a speech mechanisms as voting."
Bremner, the senior at Grinnell College, bristled at the question.

"I dislike when people ask me this question," he said. "The Democratic Party needs to take seriously whether it wants to get the support of young people."

"They're completely ignoring us and they still expect us to vote for their corporate candidates?" he asked.

This part is both sad and hilarious:

"He tried to fashion himself as someone more progressive on the outset and is now caving," said Jordan Uhl, 32, a progressive organizer who has been a vocal anti-Buttigieg voice. "You could say similar things about Biden, but Pete is much more brazen about it."
"Biden has a much longer history in public service and that's what leads people to not latch on to the same attacks as Pete," he added.
Uhl cited former President Barack Obama as an example of a candidate who represented generational change and who he characterized as a crusader for systemic change to the political system.
But presented with the argument that some of Obama's policies would be considered more moderate than Buttigieg's in today's Democratic Party, Uhl paused.
"The thing is Obama was willing to speak to systemic issues and a lot of younger people are becoming increasingly disillusioned and cynical because time and time again candidates would pay lip service and not do it," he said. "Pete's not even trying."

His explanation for vitriol toward Pete but not Biden is inherently ageist. Pete talks about systemic issues all the time and an honest review of his record as mayor shows he addressed them. Some things worked and others didn't. Part of the lesson Pete learned was mayors are limited about what they can do, particularly in red states.

I'm more and more convinced that much of the hate for Pete comes from people who don't bother to listen to him.

Here's a good article about Pete's journey to understand race.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...cc77ca-1ab7-11ea-826b-14ef38a0f45f_story.html

That summer, Buttigieg became an adopted member of a black family living in Hyde Park. He ate dinner with them, helped Ferguson’s son with his math homework and eventually gained enough trust from Goldie that she allowed him to walk her.
On the job, Buttigieg was interviewing black men who had been assaulted by police and forced into false confessions. He made the connection between that and the advice Ferguson’s husband told their son when he was grumpy one morning: Start the day with gratitude that you are alive.
Ferguson said she told him about her childhood, growing up in a palatial home in Oklahoma, where black travelers stayed overnight because there were no hotels around serving them. She talked about her father spending nights on the front porch with a shotgun in hand; outsiders were throwing rocks at the property after he registered African Americans to vote.
Before then, Buttigieg said he thought “racism was about these big epic clashes that you read about in school.” But Ferguson’s experience “helped me to understand what it’s like when these problems leap off the page,” he said.
Growing up, Buttigieg had related to African Americans through novels such as Ralph Ellison’s “Invisible Man” and Toni Morrison’s “The Bluest Eye,” a seminal work that explored the inner-tumult of a black girl who wanted white features in a world that didn’t appreciate her beauty. Buttigieg saw himself in Pecola Breedlove, the book’s main character. As the son of a Maltese immigrant with a funny name and a young man struggling with his sexual orientation, he, too, felt like an outsider.
“I was trying to figure out how to conform to the environment around me because I was always feeling a little different, a little off from the norm,” said Buttigieg, who publicly announced he was gay in 2015. “Maybe just because I was from a family that was a little different, maybe because I was beginning to understand that I was different.”
Ferguson recalled that telling Buttigieg he was privileged was “quite disturbing for him.” It was hard for him to reconcile the feelings of being an outsider that he had of himself with the reality that he might be receiving benefits that others might not.
“He got very emotional,” recalled Ferguson, who is supporting his presidential bid.
“Don’t get emotional,” she told him. “Do something about it. And he did.”

Buttigieg said he saw their reality up close one summer when he visited his roommate, Uzodinma Iweala, a Ni­ger­ian American who lived in the wealthy, mostly white Washington suburb of Potomac, Md. In one day, Buttigieg kept seeing what he called “racial bullshit.”
He recalled someone stopping Iweala to ask if he lived in the neighborhood — while presuming that Buttigieg did. Hours later, they went to a party at the house of Iweala’s friend, who was also black. A white person asked Iweala if he and his friend were related, even though they looked nothing alike.
Buttigieg said the experience showed him how exhausting the “everyday nature of racism” must be.

“If all you have of race and race issues is kind of a history lesson, then you think, as long as you’re not doing anything knowingly racist, everything will be fine,” Buttigieg said. “But of course, the reality is that there’s a lot more to it.”
The knowledge made a big impact on Buttigieg. He became self-conscious. He didn’t want to be the white person who was burdening black people.
“The more conscious I became, the more I felt I needed to be intentional,” he said. “I don’t think it was always obvious to me what that meant.”

Regina Williams-Preston, who fought against the debt-inducing fees she carried after she and her husband bought two fixer-uppers right before Buttigieg’s blight campaign, found Buttigieg too quick to consult data and research papers than the lived experiences of his black constituents.
But she admired how much he tried. He’d take activists out to coffee. During meetings, his staff said Buttigieg began to look out for African Americans making disapproving faces, or raising eyebrows when he was making a point. It happened so frequently that Buttigieg said he started to pull them aside afterward to ask more questions.
His frosty relationship with the black community started to thaw. Williams-Preston would eventually end up on the city council and appreciating his decision to start an office of diversity and inclusion in 2016 so he could address his shortcomings.
As a former diversity trainer herself, Williams-Preston found that Buttigieg was not “very different from many white men who are doing the best as they go.”
“When it comes to Pete, I know there’s a lot of a backlash and truly he’s made a lot of mistakes,” she said. “But the real issue is not Pete; the issue is the worldview through which [his] decisions were being made. And I would say, one thing, as a credit to this leadership, he’s at least been able to listen.”
Williams-Preston is undecided about whether Buttigieg should be president, but she said watching this journey would be a good lesson for future white politicians who have diverse constituents.
“It’s a good opportunity for the country to see what he is going to do,” Williams-Preston said. “How can he change and adapt? He’s young and he’s been on a very steep trajectory, so maybe he’s missed a lot because he’s been on that trajectory. But it’s exciting to see that he’s on a path.”

Last edited:
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/rubycramer/you-dont-know-bernie-sanders

Bernie Sanders — the guy who admits he can be grumpy and “nasty” and a “real son of a bitch,” the guy who’s known for giving the same speech over and over again — that guy is trying to win this campaign, maybe his last, by making people feel less alone.

Very good piece. No matter what you think of Bernie, he’s making central to his campaign the ideas of personal dignity and human empathy. He’s a good man.

Reminds me of sailor talking about TDS.

I mean all three of you are good examples of confirmation bias at this point if we're being honest.

Ph, I'm sorry, but how are those claims ageist? Is it just the Biden's "career" comment in that article?

I mean all three of you are good examples of confirmation bias at this point if we're being honest.

Ph, I'm sorry, but how are those claims ageist? Is it just the Biden's "career" comment in that article?

Yeah. "Biden has a much longer history in public service and that's what leads people to not latch on to the same attacks as Pete."

It's more telling that he was speaking from frustration that he's probably one of many people who tried to make the same attacks on Biden that fell flat, so now they're going after Pete.

Is Biden really going to win the nomination? Because I assumed it was going to be Warren, and now I don't think that's going to happen.

Yeah. "Biden has a much longer history in public service and that's what leads people to not latch on to the same attacks as Pete."

It's more telling that he was speaking from frustration that he's probably one of many people who tried to make the same attacks on Biden that fell flat, so now they're going after Pete.

I mean, Biden objectively has a longer career in public service. Pete is trying to leverage his mayor experience into the presidency. It's a different time horizon, no?

Is Biden really going to win the nomination? Because I assumed it was going to be Warren, and now I don't think that's going to happen.

I think Biden and Sanders are running a two man race at this point. I'm still a big Warren fan, but she hasn't gained any lost traction since the last debate.

I think Biden and Sanders are running a two man race at this point. I'm still a big Warren fan, but she hasn't gained any lost traction since the last debate.

That's so fucking depressing. We have Donald Fucking Trump as President and the best we can do is 2 guys who are only slightly younger than John Lennon. And behind them is another fucking boomer and then a guy who is so young that the best qualification he can come up with is that he is the mayor of like the 10 largest city in Indiana.

Good work America!

Back