• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Sorry, but can you say why that's an important distinction for you?

I can't believe you don't get the distinction. On one hand, the list would be about a single person giving $25,000. The other is about a person putting together a group of people who totaled $25,000. There could be people on the latter list who gave $10 or $100.

After yesterday, the Dems should be able to run any natural born American citizen, who is over 35 and not in prison, beat Trump and take back the Senate. The Daily Beast reporting about Russian national TV stating that Trump is a "Russian Agent" should have ended the 2020 election.

A foreign ,adversarial government has labeled a sitting POTUS as their agent. It should be impossible to lose after this.

If the Dems are too stupid or too cowardly or to prissy to not make this the entire core of their info and ads on every platform, they deserve to be disbanded and relegated to the trash heap of history.

Last edited:
Sorry, but can you say why that's an important distinction for you?

Because you had just posted it was important to you. You posted that Pete doesn't take money from certain people and I pointed out that was people who helped fundraise.

My thanks to the peanut gallery.

Sure, a lobbyist could be the listed fundraiser and a bunch of saintly nuns gave the $25k. Or a schoolteacher's name could be on that bundler list there, and all the people who gave to reach the $25k point could all be fossil fuel execs.

Pete says he doesn't take money from lobbyists. I asked you if it mattered whether it was the name on the check or the name of the person collecting the checks re: Pete's claim. My guess is the slogan is meaningless either way. He's cashing the checks. He's just not openly courting lobby money like Dems and Pubs always have. Is it an important distinction to you whether he's accepting a $25 check from a lobbyist or a $25,000 check that a lobbyist bundled up?

Unless you know where each of those $25 or $100 or $10 checks came from, you can't make that statement.

I care that people are only giving the legal $2800 max donation.

I would like to work toward state and federally financed elections that would not rely on fundraising at all. That’s a huge barrier of entry for a lot of talented people.

Cool, I'm sure we're mostly on the same page then. I think the bundling allows people to shed their scruples about who's giving them money, that's all.

We may have a different understanding of “bundlers.” My understanding is bundlers are volunteers who help raise funds for a campaign. So if a stay at home mom from Ocala got on board with Pete back in March and held a monthly event where friends and other local supporters gave $25-50 or so each time and eventually it go up to $25,000, she would be on that list.

It’s possible that stay at home mom could be some corporate tool who is laundering money from big pharma through donations supposedly from Trish and Judy down the road. But that’s silly to say without any evidence.

What did I get wrong?

Nothing, I don't think. There are bundlers (who knows who they recruit to get donations) and there are people who host fundraising events.

Here are some bundlers working for Pete:

Steve Elmendorf—partner and co-founder of lobbying firm Subject Matter

Elmendorf lobbied for multiple members of the Partnership for America’s Health Care Future, a health care industry-funded nonprofit founded to defeat Medicare for All and Medicare public-option plans. As of the third quarter of this year, Elmendorf was also registered to lobby for the Federation of American Hospitals, oil company BP America, Wall Street giant Goldman Sachs, Verizon, Facebook, and dozens more corporate clients.

Bradley Tusk—NYC lobbyist and political consultant for Uber and other startups

Tusk, dubbed “Silicon Valley’s favorite fixer,” hosted an Oct. 21 campaign event for Buttigieg in Manhattan. Previously, Tusk was a top aide to former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, who was convicted of federal corruption, and was campaign manager for Mike Bloomberg’s successful third term for New York City Mayor, made possible only after a 29-22 Council vote in October 2008 to change the city’s term-limit laws. Consulting for Uber, an August 2018 Wall Street Journal profile credited Tusk with delaying for years sought-after regulatory caps on the company’s growth by New York City government. Tusk is currently a registered lobbyist for the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association of the City of New York (PBA), the largest labor union representing police officers in the city.

Here are some people who have hosted fundraisers for Pete:

David Fares— 21st Century Fox senior vice president of government relations

As vice president of government relations at 21st Century Fox, Fares oversees millions of dollars in lobbying expenditures each year aimed at influencing the federal government and states on issues like intellectual property enforcement, taxes, data privacy, and media ownership rules.

Thaddeus Burns—head of public affairs at Merck

Burns hosted a campaign event in Geneva on Oct. 24 at the home of former Ambassador to Finland Charles Adams, who was on the Obama campaign’s national finance committee and previously a partner at high-powered lobbying firm Akin Gump. Burns was a registered lobbyist at Akin Gump from 1999-2007, a period during which he represented clients in the pharmaceutical industry including Merck, Pfizer, Human Genome Sciences, and Wyeth. From 2014-2017, he was a lobbyist for General Electric, where he lobbied mostly on trade and intellectual property issues.

Rich Weissman—former senior vice president at Bank of America

Wesisman hosted a fundraiser for Buttigieg at a private resort in Palm Springs on Nov. 20, the Intercept reported. Attendees who contributed more than $1,000 were invited to a “meet and greet” reception with the mayor, while those contributing at least $250 were given general access to the event. In 2013, Weissman joined the board of directors of the Log Cabin Republicans, “a Republican organization working to build a stronger, more inclusive Republican Party.”

That's not to speak of some of the people whose money Pete has returned:

Alexandra Walsh and Beth Wilkinson—attorneys at D.C. law firm Wilkinson Walsh + Eskovitz

Washington lawyers Walsh and Wilkinson represented Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh in his confirmation hearing amidst accusations of sexual assault by Christine Blasey Ford and other alleged victims. Buttigieg attended a July fundraiser co-hosted by Walsh, and in November the campaign told the Guardian US that it returned the law partners’ maximum donations and renounced their support.

Stephen R. Patton—lawyer with Kirkland & Ellis in Chicago

Patton led an effort to block the release of a video depicting the deadly shooting of African-American teenager Laquan McDonald, according to multiple reports. Following a public backlash after an Associated Press article identified Patton as a Buttigieg bundler, the Buttigieg campaign returned the contributions Patton had collected, as well as Patton’s own contribution, and cut ties before an Oct. 18 event.

Neither Bernie nor Warren have any rich or famous people helping them. Got it.

Neither Bernie nor Warren have any rich or famous people helping them. Got it.

Can't speak for Warren, but I can say Bernie doesn't have donors or fundraisers with profiles like the above.

And you know everyone and everything that goes on in those two organizations. WOW!!

The fact that Mayor Pete is a serious candidate shows how weak the rest of the field is.

Ph et al, does the list of bundlers that Townie shared bother you at all?

Or is it more of an "all in the game" thing?

I'm not sure how any candidate I like would get elected only with support from people I like. So that part doesn't bother me. It's a huge country.

I'm bothered by the influence of money on politics, but I think democracy much like health care is difficult to do in a capitalist economy.

I'm not sure how any candidate is supposed to run for president without any contributions or help from anybody in a major corporation, people with money, and/or assholes.

My guess is if you want to go after Bernie's donors, you're looking at people like Cornel West or some other Bernie surrogates who may have said problematic things in the past. I'm guessing you'll also find some racist West Virginian who gave $3. Or it may trouble you to learn that in 2016 he endorsed a candidate who had extensive ties to financier, child sex trafficker, and serial rapist Jeffrey Epstein!

Come on dude, read!

I don't know who made all 4 million donations to Bernie's campaign either. I know who he's not accepting money from though.

Who? How much scrutiny goes into it? Like if someone who worked at a cell center for Merck donated to Bernie, would they return it?

Well, Townie posted two bundlers, and it looks like both are lobbyists and Pete later said he would not accept money from lobbyists or allow them to raise money for him, and I also understand he returned the money ($2800) from Elmendorf and the $30k total he received from lobbyists. If true, I am not sure why anyone would be bothered.

Back