• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Is there proof that Harris is a particularly adept communicator? Is this just an identity politics thing that they'll relate to her more since she's a woman and younger?

what is your definition of 'adept'. she certainly uses media to keep herself in the light enough to get jobs

Just curious -- much like Strick is -- of why she of everyone will be the one to magically sway everyone over on progressive policies

“I think” is the opinion. I’m interested in this theory about how all moderates are into things like Medicare for all, progressive taxation, anti-interventionism/war, etc. but are just waiting for the right messenger.

he said a lot, not all. but even you might concede that the rejoinder most frequent around here is "cool theory, how do we get there practically?"

“I think” is the opinion. I’m interested in this theory about how all moderates are into things like Medicare for all, progressive taxation, anti-interventionism/war, etc. but are just waiting for the right messenger.

The concept of "all" of any group being on the side of anything is silly.

he said a lot, not all. but even you might concede that the rejoinder most frequent around here is "cool theory, how do we get there practically?"

I’m unzipped and waiting for ChrisL’s magical conversion to progressivism.

Seems Harris is going to embrace the tough on crime, law and order approach as a not so subtle appeal to moderates. I don’t understand how that doesn’t bother more progressives on here.

538 Politics Podcasf had her as the 2nd most liberal Senator of the last 2 years, behind Warren, so there’s a lot to like for those demographics. (FWIW, Sanders was 5th most liberal. Sorry M&M Bros.) I have a feeling Harris is going to push hard on the “smart on crime” angle, for better or for worse. That will also help with the listed demographics, but may not be the broadest umbrella to being everyone under. As big of an issue in society as mass incarceration and criminal justice is, it isn’t the topic du jour of national politics right now, and with Trump likely in this thing for the long haul, it likely won’t become a huge talking point for the whole of the 2020 race. It does seem slightly calculated to try and grab as many independents and maybe even some moderate Pubs (assuming they still exist; I don’t think they do) while maintaining her liberal bonafides.

It may not be the topic du jour, but mass incarceration is 1 of the few issues where I have some level of hope the federal govt will make positive changes within the next several years. Not while Trump is president, I agree. By now, most all Dems are on board with reform, and a smaller but growing number of conservatives are getting on board as well. I see it as being easier than climate change and further health care reform, and if we have a Dem presidency and house with a Pub senate (which is currently the most likely outcome), it's 1 of the few issues that I can envision being addressed in a bipartisan manner.

I also agree with your assessment of Harris. I do think moderate Pubs and independents still exist, and the optimal outcome for a 2020 nominee is someone who both progressives and blue dogs can not only live with but be a little excited about. She and Beto can probably pull that off better than the other aspirants, and they're also the 2 most charismatic candidates.

*What I have written above is my opinion, which I have posted on this message board. It is not my intent for this post to be construed to be anything other than my opinion, and it is my enduring hope that it not be taken or interpreted as anything else.

I think Kamala Harris is the only candidate so far who could draw moderates and progressives with the same message. A lot of moderates are moderates because they really haven't heard a progressive message explained to them in a constructive way.

By constructive, do you mean not shouted at them in a caustic and condescending manner?

It's a simple premise. Moderates don't like what they've heard from either side, but Americans as a whole have barely heard a progressive message. People can't embrace what they don't know.

I'm going to go ahead and stop shifting goal posts while I'm at it.

I said: "A lot of moderates are moderates because they really haven't heard a progressive message explained to them in a constructive way."

Then ITC said: "in his opinion, many moderates would find progressive policies appealing if explained in a constructive way"

Somehow that turned into Strickland saying: "I’m interested in this theory about how all moderates are into things like Medicare for all, progressive taxation, anti-interventionism/war, etc. but are just waiting for the right messenger."

I'm not saying Harris will appeal to "all moderates." I'm saying she could hold onto the progressive base and continue the 2018 trend of bringing over moderates with the same message.

One thing I'd point out is four out of nine people didn't vote in 2016.

As much time as we talk about winning over moderates and moderate Republicans -- a strategy that doesn't always work particularly well, see Trump 2016 -- there is a whole chunk of people out there that has not been part of the political process, that could be won over with strong messaging about how their lives will be improved.

By constructive, do you mean not shouted at them in a caustic and condescending manner?

Who you referring to cville? If it's hard-line leftists and progressives on Twitter and the like, then I'm with you. But don't think this description fits any particular politician (at least any serious 2020 candidates)

Last edited:
*What I have written above is my opinion, which I have posted on this message board. It is not my intent for this post to be construed to be anything other than my opinion, and it is my enduring hope that it not be taken or interpreted as anything else.

If signatures are still a thing, I want to use this for my posts. 10/10

One thing I'd point out is four out of nine people didn't vote in 2016.

As much time as we talk about winning over moderates and moderate Republicans -- a strategy that doesn't always work particularly well, see Trump 2016 -- there is a whole chunk of people out there that has not been part of the political process, that could be won over with strong messaging about how their lives will be improved.

Who you referring to cville? If it's hard-line leftists and progressives on Twitter and the like, then I'm with you. But don't think this description fits any particular politician

The former, and I had absolutely zero Dem politicians in mind, at least on the national level. But civility in politics has been a yuge issue here in Cville where our city council meetings more resemble the French National Assembly in the 1790s.

Yes. That’s a big part of it. Democrat messaging is traditionally a problem. I think more people are becoming open as they realize Republicans are largely full of shit.

I read an article that said “Medicare for All” is more popular until different types of it are explained to people and even then it’s still over 50%. That’s a good problem to have and not a typical Dem problem. For example, individual parts of ACA were more popular than “Obamacare.”

There’s room to promote progressive ideas. And I think putting these ideas on the big stage will help. Progressives don’t have to shout at people if these ideas are being supported and debates are about how not if.

Civility!

Obviously some progressives are in it for the shouting more than the ideas and actually helping people. So they're going to keep moving the goalposts and shouting.

Obviously some progressives are in it for the shouting more than the ideas and actually helping people. So they're going to keep moving the goalposts and shouting.

Ph, what proportion of the population of moderates are these progressives-in-waiting? Where does one find them?

Again, progressivism and liberalism (let alone moderate conservativism) are political ideologies. It’s okay to believe in tenets of one and not the other. Watering down progressive values to appease moderates and liberals is not a good political strategy. In fact, it goes against every form of organizing that I’ve ever been trained to use. Political organizing is about meeting people in the middle and finding consensus issues. It’s not about converting people to your team.

Back