• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

https://www.who.int/ageing/ageism/en/

"Ageism is the stereotyping, prejudice, and discrimination against people on the basis of their age. Ageism is widespread and an insidious practice which has harmful effects on the health of older adults. For older people, ageism is an everyday challenge. Overlooked for employment, restricted from social services and stereotyped in the media, ageism marginalises and excludes older people in their communities.

Ageism is everywhere, yet it is the most socially “normalized” of any prejudice, and is not widely countered – like racism or sexism. These attitudes lead to the marginalisation of older people within our communities and have negative impacts on their health and well-being."

Another example of a trend on twitter that portends a different meaning than an outside glance

I still find it kind of funny that Wake grads who live in the internet just really don't understand how twitter works. My current trending: Dolly, #ImForbiddenToCroakBefore, #FakeBottledWaterFacts, MetLife, and #DisneyPlus, and Jack Johnson

Yes, people would be outraged if this happened, as they should be, considering youth is not a protected category. Under federal law, it is perfectly legal to discriminate against an employee because of their age, so long as they are under 40.

Cool system we’ve got here. But no need to change I suppose.

Yes, people would be outraged if this happened, as they should be, considering youth is not a protected category. Under federal law, it is perfectly legal to discriminate against an employee because of their age, so long as they are under 40.

Seems like a reason for young people to be upset in a workforce dominated by people 40 and over.

No. Not at all in my experience. There’s an emphasis on bringing in a mix of faculty at all experience levels. The job market has gotten a lot tougher so the general trend is that millennials entered the market with stronger vitaes than Gen Xers did.

Grad students come in all ages and experiences too. We have two grad students who are twice as old as our latest faculty hire.

but it must be nice knowing you could discriminate against millennials if you wanted to

but it must be nice knowing you could discriminate against millennials if you wanted to

My company has a minimum age for a PTO increase. To get an extra week, you have to both have 5 years of service AND be at least 40. Which seems pretty bullshit to me, but as Junebug noted, perfectly legal.

nothing on the NYT's wishy-washy "endorsement"? Seems obvious to me they wanted to just endorse Klobuchar, but given her polling they needed a real option so threw in Warren, too. Why the need to endorse so early if you don't have a firm commitment?

this is just one of many, many examples of why there is no such thing as a true "liberal media."

My company has a minimum age for a PTO increase. To get an extra week, you have to both have 5 years of service AND be at least 40. Which seems pretty bullshit to me, but as Junebug noted, perfectly legal.

Yeah, that's a bullshit policy.

We have open PTO. Its value depends on how well you work with your supervisor.

Sing it Andy !

nothing on the NYT's wishy-washy "endorsement"? Seems obvious to me they wanted to just endorse Klobuchar, but given her polling they needed a real option so threw in Warren, too. Why the need to endorse so early if you don't have a firm commitment?

this is just one of many, many examples of why there is no such thing as a true "liberal media."

You couldn’t write better satire if you tried.

What genius came up with that policy?

Pramila Jayapal endorses Sanders yesterday. That’s both co-chairs, vice chair, and whip of the progressive caucus.

Another way of thinking about it, he got endorsements from AOC, Tlaib, Omar, and Jayapal, AND he’s a sexist. Honestly how can you not be impressed by that bipartisanship?

Back