• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

for starters, having a billionaire buy his way into the nomination should be the antithesis of what the party wants to be

bloomberg as the democratic candidate in 2020 would be the death of the party, and i say that entirely seriously

It should be the clarion call for a Dem Congress to create publicly funded elections. If a Dem Senate is worried about the Roberts Court, then expand it.

no way

if this were the case then he'd, you know, back Biden or Klob

it's an ego play, and perhaps he just wanted something to do

Straight up backing Biden or Klob runs into campaign financing rules that he doesn't have to abide by as a presidential candidate. He's got a lot more freedom to spend money as long as he's still in the race.

Please show your work.

For all the talk about Bernie being a radical, he's very much working within the confines of capitalism. He's not so much about guillotines and bloody revolution and more about redistribution of power to the working class via unions, labor stoppages, grassroots activism, etc. It's part of a long leftist tradition in America that has been ebbed and flowed through our history with the basic premise that if we are the richest and most powerful nation on Earth we should also take care of everyone within our borders. Not since Eugene Debs has there been an actual leftist get this far in the political process, and Sanders is doing so under the guise of the Democratic party.

That same party has, using the Sanders framework of class consciousness, been working far closer to class solidarity with the media class (privileged, educated, etc.) than the working class, and especially so since the Clinton years. Sanders has mobilized a voting bloc of disaffected nonvoters, perhaps generational nonvoters, people whose parents didn't vote and whose grandparents didn't vote because nobody within their lifetimes has spoken to their particular set of needs. Put another way, more people listened to Bernie Sanders on Joe Rogan's podcast than watched every single 2020 Dem primary debate combined. Sanders has not attempted to reach that audience by pandering to their homophobia or xenophobia or sexism or anti-vaccine views (most of which are views that get socialized out of us in college, and the young men that make up Rogan's audience are generally not college-educated). Instead, he's done so with a consistent message of dignity and unity and taking on the powerful ruling class in America. For that reason, his message resonates not just with the Rogan audience, but with a multi-generational, racial pluralist audience, because his policies are popular and they'd help a majority of Americans, plain and simple.

The quiet part Sanders is not saying loudly just yet is that the Democratic Party establishment, and you need look no further than the nominated DNC committee, is exactly that ruling class. I've said it this way before, but it exists not as an opposition party to Republicans, but to sand down their rough edges and make the planet habitable just as long as Nancy Pelosi and her $55MM is alive. In nearly any other wealthy nation on Earth, the American Democratic Party would be considered center right.

I'm not suggesting Sanders would split and run third party if he lost the nomination, but the Democratic party would permanently lose the left if Bloomberg was the candidate. For all the rah rah go team Dem solidarity, they'd be told loudly to their face neither party has their best interests at heart.

This is from Sirota, so take it with a grain of salt, but:

For all the talk about Bernie being a radical, he's very much working within the confines of capitalism. He's not so much about guillotines and bloody revolution and more about redistribution of power to the working class via unions, labor stoppages, grassroots activism, etc.

How will he empower the working class if he’s planning to raise middle class taxes? Is your belief that forming more unions will raise wages enough to counter the taxes?

How will he empower the working class if he’s planning to raise middle class taxes?

The idea is that revenue from tax increases will fund programs that will improve social mobility for the working classes so that they, too, may one day become middle class.

My question too.

To the video of Biden getting confrontational - it seems like it's becoming a bit of a Biden trend at this point to flick a switch on people he thinks are becoming confrontational themselves. My guess is he wants to start laying some of the groundwork for seeming tough in anticipation of a Trump matchup? It's lame, but I'm guessing the core 65+ Biden voters are either sympathetic to it or really dig the fire. See: the last one I remember: "You're a damn liar".

I think he's getting tired of campaigning.

I'm with Bym. I have issues with both Sanders and Bloomberg, and Bloomberg's perceived path to the nomination is pretty fanciful. That said, I'll vote for either of them as the Dem nominee against Trump. It's pretty simple, any Dem against Trump.

I would really like for the Bloomberg supporter to show his logic, now that Townie has risen to his challenge.

Re: any dem but Trump. Didn't we take a vote and literally everyone but RJ indicated their support for that position?

If Bolton is worried about his height, maybe he'd make Muggsy his VP.

Re: any dem but Trump. Didn't we take a vote and literally everyone but RJ indicated their support for that position?

I've said I'm voting for any Dem against Trump many, many times.

If you can't understand a "vote" for Numbers/Dufus is a joke, then, you are a joke. It's been a running joke on the board regarding polls for over a decade.

Last edited:
Back