• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

I think “socially liberal, fiscally conservative” is just code for “I vote with the religious right all the time but I feel a little guilty.”

Centrists nowadays are pretty much just conservatives who want people to think they support social change.

I've always taken "fiscally conservative but socially liberal" to just mean they don't like the idea of high taxes but also don't care if gay people get married/don't want the government legislating what people choose to do with their bodies. Socially liberal in this context doesn't generally include criminal justice reform or interest in racial issues and would probably just be better stated as "I'm a big fan of smaller government period across the board"/more of a libertarian vantage point.

I've also found the same people revel in calling themselves "moderates" or "centrists" because they have taken a couple talking points from each political party but from an ideological perspective are mostly conservative rather than liberal.

Yeah. They tend to make "devil's advocate" arguments that invoke conservative talking points and think it's unreasonable to value a WaPo report over a National Review column.

People that say they are "socially liberal and fiscally conservative" are reverse listing their electoral priorities.

People that say they are "socially liberal and fiscally conservative" are reverse listing their electoral priorities.

Yeah. I think most liberals are fiscally conservative in terms of not wanting to spend on dumb shit like wars and corporate welfare, but that's not what "fiscally conservative" means.

Liberals don’t want to spend on war and corporate welfare? That’s news to me.

I've also found the same people revel in calling themselves "moderates" or "centrists" because they have taken a couple talking points from each political party but from an ideological perspective are mostly conservative rather than liberal.

"Moderates" or "centrists" like rjkarl, newenglanddeac, and connorel?

Liberals don’t want to spend on war and corporate welfare? That’s news to me.

I actually believe that they don’t, but they’re also terrified of criticizing the officials that they elected who do want to spend on war and corporate welfare. But don’t you dare criticize liberal politicians who fetishize war and corporate welfare. Rinse repeat.

I think it means the government should stay out of peoples lives and strive to provide equal opportunity for people, while not financing things like medicare for all, walls, wars, higher education, wasteful welfare, sociology professors, etc...

I think it means the government should stay out of peoples lives and strive to provide equal opportunity for people, while not financing things like medicare for all, walls, wars, higher education, wasteful welfare, sociology professors, etc...

I think people who use that turn of phrase are different than people who identify as libertarians, which is what you're describing

Yeah, the meaning of "fiscally liberal" is subject to just as much disagreement as "fiscally conservative."

I believe people should have the right to get an abortion, I don't think abortions should be financed or subsidized by tax payers.

Socially liberal, fiscally conservative.

It's almost inconceivable for one person to be so wrong about so many subjects.

Let's look at "wasteful welfare". Food Stamps is not just a dietary/humanitarian program. It's a huge, huge, huge jobs program. It's budgeted at $84B (https://www.usgovernmentspending.com/food_stamps ). It creates jobs all up and down the chain from farmers to gas station to truckers to grocery clerks and many more. Housing subsidies help pay for schools by paying real estate taxes in thousands of communities.

As to medicare for all- People pay for their medicare. In Medicare for All millions more people will be covered and paid for. There would be massive numbers of jobs created to care for and support them. It would lower costs dramatically which would put billions more into the economy as well as a healthier workforce creates lower costs.

I find that most people who say that are essentially saying "Yes, that is a problem, but I don't want to pay to fix it."

What's so ridiculous about the state of today is that we can't even agree on what the problems are, let alone agree on how to fix them.

I believe people should have the right to get an abortion, I don't think abortions should be financed or subsidized by tax payers.

Socially liberal, fiscally conservative.

Translation: only the affluent should have the right to an abortion.

Back