• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

it's not his responsibility. i think that's why it's called 'philanthropy'

you're right, it's not his responsibility, it's just an unearned power of his that he doesn't deserve, just like his spending millions across the country to push charter schools in poor/minority school districts, sabotaging the public school systems. Bill Gates also refers to that as "philanthropy" and writes it off as a tax expense, but at least the poor kids get to play with Microsoft Surfaces at school.

I’m not gonna waste my time criticizing philanthropic efforts from Gates when his contemporaries barely do jack shit.

Damn, are you really this unhappy all the time about the planet you live on ?

Counterpoint -- please show me how any of those things is the "dem platform". But, the you're racist part is obvi true.

So "Med 4 All" isn't a idea/proposal supported by many (most?) on the left?

And late term abortion isn't supported by many (most?) on the left?

Progressive taxation and "soak the rich... they can afford it!11! isn't supported by many (most?) on the left?

Calls for strict gun control isn't supported by many (most?) on the left?

And we know from the past that racism isn't really racism if someone on the left does it, right?

you're right, it's not his responsibility, it's just an unearned power of his that he doesn't deserve, just like his spending millions across the country to push charter schools in poor/minority school districts, sabotaging the public school systems. Bill Gates also refers to that as "philanthropy" and writes it off as a tax expense, but at least the poor kids get to play with Microsoft Surfaces at school.

you'd prefer they don't have access to computers, in this case

In Gates' situation, how is it "unearned"? He created a massive company, hired hundreds of thousands of people (at high pay rates) and is now giving tens of billions to those who need it.

Mr. Liquid Karma (or God, not sure which title you prefer),

I hereby submit a petition to demote Colonel Angus to Private Angus for conduct unbecoming a rational, critically thinking human.

Sincerely,

Turtle Killer

FaintHairyAdder-size_restricted.gif

If you are unfamiliar with the "philanthropy is bad" take, I'd recommend checking out "The Revolution Will Not Be Funded: Beyond the Non-Profit Industrial Complex."

Very much of the philanthropic work done by the ultra rich is politically skewed and aimed to buttress their deregulatory, anti-government efforts. The Gates Foundation is no different - in no way should anyone ever equate Bill Gates charity with economic redistribution.

https://www.apnews.com/92dc914dd97c487a9b9aa4b006909a8c

Also, its all big fucking tax write off.

Seriously what have you done in your life besides be a drain on our social services. Why don't why you give back something, before shitting on people who do tremendous good.

i mean, he does work for a non-profit assisting low income people in some capacity. so, bad tack, Token

So "Med 4 All" isn't a idea/proposal supported by many (most?) on the left?

And late term abortion isn't supported by many (most?) on the left?

Progressive taxation and "soak the rich... they can afford it!11! isn't supported by many (most?) on the left?

Calls for strict gun control isn't supported by many (most?) on the left?

And we know from the past that racism isn't really racism if someone on the left does it, right?

No
Is a red herring
"Soak" is a relative term. We would still have the lowest top income tax rate in the industrialized world.
Gun control=universal background checks (supported by 85-90% of the public), banning big magazines and bump stocks (favored by 85-90% of the public), the only tough on is banning assault rifles, which a majority of the public agrees on.

No
Is a red herring
"Soak" is a relative term. We would still have the lowest top income tax rate in the industrialized world.
Gun control=universal background checks (supported by 85-90% of the public), banning big magazines and bump stocks (favored by 85-90% of the public), the only tough on is banning assault rifles, which a majority of the public agrees on.

Sure but those policies reflect classic centrist democratic policies. Most on the boards are far left of you and that.

Sure but those policies reflect classic centrist democratic policies. Most on the boards are far left of you and that.

So? Angus said these policies are part of the "dem platform"

I know he gets his talking points from Facebook, Fox News, and InfoWars but that doesn't excuse his ignorance.

If you are unfamiliar with the "philanthropy is bad" take, I'd recommend checking out "The Revolution Will Not Be Funded: Beyond the Non-Profit Industrial Complex."

an excerpt:

When wealthy people create foundations, they're exempt from paying taxes on their wealth. Thus foundations essentially rob the public of monies that should be owed to them and give back very little of what is taken in lost taxes. In addition, their funds are derived from profits resulting from the exploitation of labor. That is, corporations become rich by exploiting their workers. Corporate profits are then put into foundations in order to provide "relief" to workers that are the result of corporate practices in the first place. Rather than thinking of foundations as a source of income for which we should be grateful, Ahn suggests we reimagine them as a target for accountability, just as we might organize to hold corporations or the state accountable to the public good.

Back