Page 7 of 352 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757107 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Quote Originally Posted by JManslow View Post
    Schumer is gonna get got before Pelosi. He’s fucking garbage and thinks it’s the 1970s/80s instead of tribal warfare.
    I get the impression that a lot of older (just old) Senate and House Democrats think nothing has changed in Congress in thirty or forty years, and the goal of congressional politics is still to seek out and get compromises with Republicans and cut deals to "get things done." Modern politics, as far as the GOP is concerned, consists of waging total war in which you never compromise with Democrats, but instead you beat them into the dirt, ram through 100% of your right-wing agenda, and then rub the Democrats noses in it. Compromise with evil LibDems is the last thing on their agenda, and the last thing McConnell wants. Guys like Schumer just don't seem to get it, and neither do many other Dem old-timers.

Duckworth/Beto

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WFFaithful View Post
    Duckworth/Beto
    Trump doesn't respect her because she lost her legs. He only respects people who come back from war with no scratches or injuries.

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Deac View Post
    I get the impression that a lot of older (just old) Senate and House Democrats think nothing has changed in Congress in thirty or forty years, and the goal of congressional politics is still to seek out and get compromises with Republicans and cut deals to "get things done." Modern politics, as far as the GOP is concerned, consists of waging total war in which you never compromise with Democrats, but instead you beat them into the dirt, ram through 100% of your right-wing agenda, and then rub the Democrats noses in it. Compromise with evil LibDems is the last thing on their agenda, and the last thing McConnell wants. Guys like Schumer just don't seem to get it, and neither do many other Dem old-timers.
    This. Republicans have been engaged in tribal warfare and old school Dems still don't get it. Republicans aren't going to work in good faith. Conservative media isn't going to give Dems credit for compromising.

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Deac View Post
    I disagree. Schumer isn't in it to compromise at all. His goal is to tie everything to trump. He just isn't good at it. the Trump base will love Trump no matter what and Schumer's "Trump is evil" pitch without doing anything meaningful is condescending and ineffective.

Quote Originally Posted by cville deac View Post
    https://ballotpedia.org/Pivot_Counti...onal_districts

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...Romney-in-2012

No, this was a thing. Not a yuge thing, but a thing. My recollection is probably more Obama/Trump than Romney/Clinton, but there was more Dem/Pub crossover than usual in 2016, probably due to the insurgent populism that was significant in both parties. I think the 538 folks had also commented on it a couple times. But sure, love your hashtags.
    Again, I'm not sure what you are arguing because those links don't prove this:

Quote Originally Posted by cville deac View Post
    What happened was some of the Bernie crowd who were drawn to Trump's message of tearing down Washington and liked his message on trade and immigration broke for him instead of Hillary and vice-versa.

"NPR has interviewed key advisers to nine potential presidential candidates in the days since the midterm elections. Most of the conversations were conducted anonymously, so staffers could speak openly about politically sensitive matters.

Here's a glimpse at the potential 2020 Democratic presidential field:

Senators
    Cory Booker of New Jersey
    Sherrod Brown of Ohio
    Kamala Harris of California
    Kirsten Gillibrand of New York
    Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota
    Jeff Merkley of Oregon
    Bernie Sanders of Vermont
    Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts

Representatives
    John Delaney of Maryland (declared)
    Beto O'Rourke of Texas
    Eric Swallwell of California

Governors
    Steve Bullock of Montana
    John Hickenlooper of Colorado
    Jay Inslee of Washington
    Terry McAuliffe of Virginia (former)
    Deval Patrick of Massachuetts (former)

Others
    Former Vice President Joe Biden
    Businessman and former Mayor Michael Bloomberg, New York City
    Attorney Michael Avenatti
    Mayor Eric Garcetti, Los Angeles
    State Sen. Richard Ojeda of West Virginia (declared)
    Activist and philanthropist Tom Steyer
    The fact that that isn't even the full list of potential candidates speaks to the fact that, with a first-time candidate from the world of reality television in the Oval Office, all previous notions about paths to the presidency have gone out the window..."

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/14/66712...ntial-hopefuls

Quote Originally Posted by WFU71 View Post
    "NPR has interviewed key advisers to nine potential presidential candidates in the days since the midterm elections. Most of the conversations were conducted anonymously, so staffers could speak openly about politically sensitive matters.

Here's a glimpse at the potential 2020 Democratic presidential field:

Senators
    Cory Booker of New Jersey
    Sherrod Brown of Ohio
    Kamala Harris of California
    Kirsten Gillibrand of New York
    Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota
    Jeff Merkley of Oregon
    Bernie Sanders of Vermont
    Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts

Representatives
    John Delaney of Maryland (declared)
    Beto O'Rourke of Texas
    Eric Swallwell of California

Governors
    Steve Bullock of Montana
    John Hickenlooper of Colorado
    Jay Inslee of Washington
    Terry McAuliffe of Virginia (former)
    Deval Patrick of Massachuetts (former)

Others
    Former Vice President Joe Biden
    Businessman and former Mayor Michael Bloomberg, New York City
    Attorney Michael Avenatti
    Mayor Eric Garcetti, Los Angeles
    State Sen. Richard Ojeda of West Virginia (declared)
    Activist and philanthropist Tom Steyer
    The fact that that isn't even the full list of potential candidates speaks to the fact that, with a first-time candidate from the world of reality television in the Oval Office, all previous notions about paths to the presidency have gone out the window..."

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/14/66712...ntial-hopefuls
    I really hope that they don't do any debates until the field is under 10. The GOP clusterfuck of 2015-16 should never be repeated. Give me a stage with Biden, Harris, Klobuchar, Warren, Sanders, and Booker*, that's fine. But blowing it up any bigger than that is a recipe for disaster because then it becomes about whoever ignores debate norms the most and shouts over everyone.

*I'm not suggesting that this be the 6 best for the stage, just an example.

I disagree with you
    Betown3d

Quote Originally Posted by AsesinoDeTortugas View Post
    I really hope that they don't do any debates until the field is under 10. The GOP clusterfuck of 2015-16 should never be repeated. Give me a stage with Biden, Harris, Klobuchar, Warren, Sanders, and Booker*, that's fine. But blowing it up any bigger than that is a recipe for disaster because then it becomes about whoever ignores debate norms the most and shouts over everyone.

Just split up the debates into groups of no bigger than 6.

I disagree with you
    just have all of them play Fortnite

Rusty Larue

Quote Originally Posted by AsesinoDeTortugas View Post

I doubt it. Trump was a specifically Republican phenomenon. The media’s repetition of the lines that “norms have been destroyed by partisan politics” or that “now that Trump has won, anyone can win their party’s nomination” doesn’t make them true.

Yeah. Any Dem that tries that will be rejected.

It would be nice if they could come up with 6 policy issues that are most important to voters and have them submit a written recommendation of what they would attempt if elected. Publish them at the same time and let voters digest it without interruption or back and forth that happens during early debates. I'd rather everyone had the same opportunity to discuss their opinions than the loudest or whoever the moderator chooses to speak.

I disagree with you
    Quote Originally Posted by MHBDemon View Post

Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Yeah. Any Dem that tries that will be rejected.
    My fear, and why I mentioned it, is that all of them will be so desperate to get their message out about why they should be the nominee that they will all do it, intentionally or not. This kills enthusiasm and organic, grassroots support for a candidate that naturally becomes one of the favorites rather than just being the loudest.

Word from DSA higher ups is that they’ve been contacted by Bernie exploratory committee. #scoop

I disagree with you
    he'll be 79 years old. hard pass