• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Or a majority in both houses (along with the presidency). Getting to 50 Senators will be a difficult task for Dems, but not even close to an impossible one.

One way to guarantee a Republican majority in the Senate is for Dems to nominate an uninspiring “pragmatic” centrist.

Strongly disagree. The senate seats we're hoping to win are in red or reddish purple states. Nominating Bernie would be putting albatrosses around the necks of Dem candidates in those states. Jones is alpo in AL, so that means we have to gain 4 seats to get to 50/50. Should have a great shot to knock off Gardner in CO no matter who the nominee is. But after that, it gets difficult. I'd like to think Ernst is in trouble in IA because of Trump's tariffs. But Trump continues to be fairly popular there despite the economic repercussions of his tariffs, and had been trending redder over the last decade at least until this past midterm. It would be great if Vilsack runs, but that's not the type of state where a more unknown progressive is likely to knock her off. NC and GA are historically redder than IA and will be tougher wins. If Abrams runs, she may have a shot given how close she got in the governor's race, but I don't know that there is another Dem there with enough name recognition for a serious run. NC has an even weaker Dem bench. The other state that could be interesting is ME. If Collins decides not to run, it's a more likely pick-up. If she runs, she has a history of winning big, though maybe her popularity is on the decline. All of the other states are likely too red to have a shot.

Agree with your assessment about Buttigieg. Would love to see him run for a senate seat there, though IN is tough for a statewide run.

don't be ridiculous. you made a blase proclamation about your 'impressions' without even looking at his platform.

You got me. i'm not very familiar with his platform. It's fucking why I asked. Jesus. I heard him on NPR once, and saw him on a Sunday morning show. That I still don't know anything about his platform, after hearing him speak twice, should maybe tell you something. I did hear about how he was good buddies with Zuck, and how he just knows Mark is gonna do the right thing. That was enough to give me skepticism of him. I've also heard he has a bad record of homeless sweeps.

So what do you know about his platform?

i dont know anything about him. i didnt defend or waive him off. I guess i missed his day on PSA

One things for sure, its gonna be an absolutely hellish two years.

At least the candidates other than Schultz are real mostly respected politicians and not clown shows like Trump, Fiorina, Cruz, Cain, Santorum, Huckabee, Bachman, etc.

At least the candidates other than Schultz are real mostly respected politicians and not clown shows like Trump, Fiorina, Cruz, Cain, Santorum, Huckabee, Bachman, etc.

This. When it comes down to it, I would be fine with any of the Dems as President. I don’t really like Booker for example, I would have no issues voting for him.

Just finished listening to today's PSA. The last 10 minutes they laid into the "One True Progressive" argument made by Bernie supporters.

Just finished listening to today's PSA. The last 10 minutes they laid into the "One True Progressive" argument made by Bernie supporters.

Can't wait for MDMH's rebuttal

Perhaps he’s not the only progressive in this race, at least if you take everyone’s platform at face value, but he’s damn sure the biggest reason everyone is gunning for the progressive mantle

I bet the gofundme exec had the best takes!

Back