• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Garcetti interests me. Any major red flags on him?

He's definitely got "it" , but not being able to fix the homeless problem in LA hurt him.

It's also unclear what Garcetti has actually done. He says all of the right things and clear has "it," but he is more of a booster than a politician. He has an awful reputation in policy circles in LA, especially with how he has mishandled some amazing funding initiatives (and the associated money) around homelessness prevention and transit-oriented development. I think that this will be exposed when he tries to enter national-level politics.

It's also unclear what Garcetti has actually done. He says all of the right things and clear has "it," but he is more of a booster than a politician. He has an awful reputation in policy circles in LA, especially with how he has mishandled some amazing funding initiatives (and the associated money) around homelessness prevention and transit-oriented development. I think that this will be exposed when he tries to enter national-level politics.

This February article seems favorable re: homelessness - https://www.dailynews.com/2018/02/0...-has-generated-millions-to-help-the-homeless/
Transit wise, Elon Musk's company should be starting soon: https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/4/18061316/elon-musk-boring-company-la-tunnel-video

I don't know much about LA, but is there really something that national media can nail him on?

Garcetti interests me. Any major red flags on him?

This February article seems favorable re: homelessness - https://www.dailynews.com/2018/02/0...-has-generated-millions-to-help-the-homeless/
Transit wise, Elon Musk's company should be starting soon: https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/4/18061316/elon-musk-boring-company-la-tunnel-video

I don't know much about LA, but is there really something that national media can nail him on?

He's just all talk, even dating back to his time on city council. He's rarely here and doing his job as mayor. He has been a big proponent of increasing funding for homelessness prevention, transit, and transit oriented development, but remarkably little has happened under his watch. He may ultimately be implicated in this pay-for-play scandal in the City Council's Housing Committee. The Olympics will be a disaster for the city, though I doubt he'll get any heat for that if he runs for national office. I'm sure there's dirt dating back to his father who is a bit of a scumbag. He has a weird relationship with his identity. At any point in time, he runs/politics as a progressive Jew or a progressive Latino.

I wouldn't mind him running for president or vice president. I just think that he has a really short resume given the stage that he was given.

I don't think Hillary should run -- simply because she lost last time and someone else should get the chane. But I am tired of the BS narrative that she blew it. Of course she made mistakes (like not heading to the midwest at the end), but she lost because a) she is a woman; 2) she was unfairly lied about and denigrated by the right wing smear maching for 25 years and 3) racist rubes were getting payback for having to deal with a black guy being in office for 8 years.

It's crazy to me that we place more blame on her instead of the shitty Americans who voted for Trump or didn't vote for her. It's also crazy to me that we see this narrative from posters on the left on this board, but they are men who also denigrate Pelosi or provide lukewarm/begrudging support to Warren or Gillibrand.

I like Biden a lot, but the idea that the best ticket is old white guy and new white guy who just lost to old white guy is just too perfect.
She lost because minority voters didn't go to the polls. Less people voted for Trump than Romney nationally ... the Dem base just didn't show up for Hilary at all.

And I'm not sure if they show up for Biden or even Beto either. The Dem base isn't white or male, and is pretty sick of white dudes.

Only the shitty ones.

She lost because minority voters didn't go to the polls. Less people voted for Trump than Romney nationally ... the Dem base just didn't show up for Hilary at all.

And I'm not sure if they show up for Biden or even Beto either. The Dem base isn't white or male, and is pretty sick of white dudes.

Trump got 2 million more votes than Romney.

Trump got 2 million more votes than Romney.
He got less votes as a percentage (-1.1%) than Romney. The increase in raw votes from 2012 to 2016 is attributable to population inflation.

He got less votes as a percentage (-1.1%) than Romney. The increase in raw votes from 2012 to 2016 is attributable to population inflation.

Great fucking argument. Can you break it down to actual registered voters ?

Steyer takes step toward 2020 presidential bid

Former billionaire investor, climate activist and impeachment agitator Tom Steyer will take several steps toward a 2020 presidential bid Tuesday.

That will include a six-figure web ad buy on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram, along with a full-page ad in USA Today and other Gannett newspapers outlining a political platform, a revamped TomSteyer.com and the announcement of five town halls across the country, the first of which will be in the crucial early primary state of South Carolina, according to copies of the ad and platform provided to POLITICO.

sigh

He won’t get traction with Dem voters. Candidates will respect him as Mr. Moneybags though.

Agreed. I don't think we'll end up with a nominee who isn't a pol. And I was pleased to see Mr. Avenetti graciously take himself out of any viability with his potential domestic assault.

Beto O’Rourke frequently voted for Republican legislation, analysis reveals

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...Fqh-1OfGs4B98DFKCU7CJC5R18l-8K-wOvOpDiY2yArJo

O’Rourke has voted for GOP bills that his fellow Democratic lawmakers said reinforced Republicans’ anti-tax ideology, chipped away at the Affordable Care Act (ACA), weakened Wall Street regulations, boosted the fossil fuel industry and bolstered Donald Trump’s immigration policy.

Consumer, environmental, public health and civil rights organizations have cast legislation backed by O’Rourke as aiding big banks, undermining the fight against climate change and supporting Trump’s anti-immigrant agenda. During the previous administration, Barack Obama’s White House issued statements slamming two GOP bills backed by the 46-year-old Democratic legislator.

O’Rourke’s votes for Republican legislation – which at times put him at odds with a majority of Texas Democratic lawmakers in Congress – underscore his membership in the New Democrat Coalition, the faction of House Democrats most closely aligned with business interests.

But at least he can skateboard

Beto O’Rourke frequently voted for Republican legislation, analysis reveals

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...Fqh-1OfGs4B98DFKCU7CJC5R18l-8K-wOvOpDiY2yArJo

O’Rourke has voted for GOP bills that his fellow Democratic lawmakers said reinforced Republicans’ anti-tax ideology, chipped away at the Affordable Care Act (ACA), weakened Wall Street regulations, boosted the fossil fuel industry and bolstered Donald Trump’s immigration policy.

Consumer, environmental, public health and civil rights organizations have cast legislation backed by O’Rourke as aiding big banks, undermining the fight against climate change and supporting Trump’s anti-immigrant agenda. During the previous administration, Barack Obama’s White House issued statements slamming two GOP bills backed by the 46-year-old Democratic legislator.

O’Rourke’s votes for Republican legislation – which at times put him at odds with a majority of Texas Democratic lawmakers in Congress – underscore his membership in the New Democrat Coalition, the faction of House Democrats most closely aligned with business interests.

But at least he can skateboard

Can’t wait to hear how he’s a far left communist on FNC !

Who cares how Beto actually votes, what does he think about the kneeling football players?

Back