• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

I would suspect that a main reason is that they didn't get those benefits when they were younger and they were paying taxes to support the elderly generation of their day.

Petty AF. Classic boomers.

I mean there’s a lot of that same argument from generations younger than boomers that paid off their student loans so fuck loan forgiveness that I didn’t get.

Just argue against or for the policy as you see fit.

I don't think it helps to blame it on some generational BS.

If you think it does or makes you feel better, have at it.

But really, people are not so different. "Boomers" growing up today would be like kids of today, and vice versa. Sure, when you came along has something to do with who you are. But I think it's lazy and offensive rather than effective to just blame "those" (certain-aged) people instead of arguing for a truth, policy, or proposition that you believe is good (etc.).

I know what you believe. I’m saying that you shouldn’t lump yourself in with boomers+ (Sanders/Warren and their supporters, in particular) that believe in something else.

Hilarious. Changing the subject again. Long before you came to these boards, I was on the side of universal care. I've been for everyone, of any age being able to buy into Medicare coverage.

If you had ever worked in HR, you'd understand allowing every individual and every company to be able to do this would accomplish the goal of reaching universal care quickly and seamlessly. If a company has 100 or 1000 employees, the ability to save 25-35% of the top would drive almost all of them to the Medicare option as soon as they could end their current contracts.

We all see your visceral distaste for me and any boomer who won't kowtow to you or not click their heels to agree with you 100% without any discussion or negotiation. Rather than trying to build a coalition that will get you where want to be, you'd throw the baby out with the bath water than not get 100% of what you want, when you want it.

But really, people are not so different. "Boomers" growing up today would be like kids of today, and vice versa. Sure, when you came along has something to do with who you are. But I think it's lazy and offensive rather than effective to just blame "those" (certain-aged) people instead of arguing for a truth, policy, or proposition that you believe is good (etc.).

Boomers growing up today would shit their pants because of how difficult it is to be a young adult vs. when they were young adults.

Boomers growing up today would be just like today's young folks.

BINGO!!!!

There's nothing new with a generation blaming the one(s) before it for all their ills.

Would they be swimming in educational debt and unable to purchase homes, too, or would the fact that a different generation would have had a hand at the financial sector changed anything?

Asking for a friend who still has more student loan debt than assets and probably won't be able to buy a home (in a non-coastal city) until they turn 40.

Boomers growing up today would shit their pants because of how difficult it is to be a young adult vs. when they were young adults.

That's absurd. rj mentioned Vietnam - let me elaborate. The vast majority of the 58,000 names on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial were boomers. In total, 10,000,000 boomers (40% of the male boomer population) served in the armed forces. I graduated from HS in 1967. From 1964 on, I worried about being sent to Vietnam. In my senior year, I knew many classmates who were scared shitless about not being smart enough or having the funds to go to college. They correctly knew that they were draft fodder. On the day I graduated I found out that an older friend from HS had been killed in Vietnam.

I took ROTC at Wake only because I figured it would be better to have more training when I got sent over there. I quit ROTC after my sophomore year and considered escaping to Canada when I heard that my ROTC platoon leader and my physics lab partner had been killed in Vietnam. Imagine sitting around one night in late 1969 when the first draft lottery was held, the results of which would decide the likelihood that you would get drafted. One of my friends drew #366 - another one drew #1 (he left school the next day to save his parents his tuition cost). I got #111, which felt like a slow death.

Even though I couldn't get a job after graduating from Wake due to my draft number, I was one of the lucky ones. As it was, I woke up every fucking day after my draft physical wondering if it was the day I'd get my draft notice. When Nixon called a delay in drafting in late September (one of the few things that mother fucker did right), I was no doubt less than a week away from being drafted as my local Selective Service station was drafting #110-125 in September. I wasn't in the clear until late December when Nixon decided to hold back on the draft until 4/72.

I personally lost 6 friends in Vietnam - not guys just I knew of - real friends. Three others came back with what we now call PTSD. All became alcoholics and two were married and divorced multiple times. All are still having nightmares over what they endured.

You don't know shit about what boomers around my age went through as young adults.

That's absurd. rj mentioned Vietnam - let me elaborate. The vast majority of the 58,000 names on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial were boomers. In total, 10,000,000 boomers (40% of the male boomer population) served in the armed forces. I graduated from HS in 1967. From 1964 on, I worried about being sent to Vietnam. In my senior year, I knew many classmates who were scared shitless about not being smart enough or having the funds to go to college. They correctly knew that they were draft fodder. On the day I graduated I found out that an older friend from HS had been killed in Vietnam.

I took ROTC at Wake only because I figured it would be better to have more training when I got sent over there. I quit ROTC after my sophomore year and considered escaping to Canada when I heard that my ROTC platoon leader and my physics lab partner had been killed in Vietnam. Imagine sitting around one night in late 1969 when the first draft lottery was held, the results of which would decide the likelihood that you would get drafted. One of my friends drew #366 - another one drew #1 (he left school the next day to save his parents his tuition cost). I got #111, which felt like a slow death.

Even though I couldn't get a job after graduating from Wake due to my draft number, I was one of the lucky ones. As it was, I woke up every fucking day after my draft physical wondering if it was the day I'd get my draft notice. When Nixon called a delay in drafting in late September (one of the few things that mother fucker did right), I was no doubt less than a week away from being drafted as my local Selective Service station was drafting #110-125 in September. I wasn't in the clear until late December when Nixon decided to hold back on the draft until 4/72.

I personally lost 6 friends in Vietnam - not guys just I knew of - real friends. Three others came back with what we now call PTSD. All became alcoholics and two were married and divorced multiple times. All are still having nightmares over what they endured.

You don't know shit about what boomers around my age went through as young adults.

That’s rough. But those doesn’t justify making things harder for generations to come. “We had to suffer through the draft so we’re going to start endless wars to prop up a military industrial complex.”

That’s rough. But those doesn’t justify making things harder for generations to come. “We had to suffer through the draft so we’re going to start endless wars to prop up a military industrial complex.”

I can't edit my last post, so here's an additional comment: I was responding to Stricland33's assertion that "Boomers growing up today would shit their pants because of how difficult it is to be a young adult vs. when they were young adults."

I'm not defending my generation's record of leadership. I hope the following generations will do better, but human beings have always been a crappy lot. Based on what I know about bullying in school these days, there's still a long ways to go. Hell, just look at how the posters on this forum treat each other.

It’s what they’re doing now. In so many areas where they hold power today as a cohort they’re ruining it for everyone else. If later generations do the same, they’ll deserve the same criticism. But Boomers deserve to be called out now.

Back