• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

The best way to ensure that the party runs a minority candidate is for Bernie to announce. I hope it doesn't play out like that because I don't like the optics of a schism between Democrat POC and white progressives. I'd rather the party announce a diverse progressive ticket early and Bernie/Warren endorse it.

Dude, you pick a fight with me like once a week.

Democrats just took back the House by becoming (both candidates and voters) younger, more progressive, and more female. The 2020 nominee should check off at least 2 of those three boxes. Nominating an old white centrist male from the East Coast seems like a mistake.
Why don’t you start by nominating the best candidate for the country instaad trying to check race and gender boxes?

the unfortunate problem with this is that the Electoral College system denies a straight-line analysis between House elections and Presidential elections

overall, you're right and I think the Democrats win the popular vote (again)

the question is whether the 10 or so key states stack up to demographic analysis you offered as well (it may, I just don't think it's apples to apples)

FWIW, this is a figure from last Wednesday put together by 538. Even with some states and races undecided, Dems took the electoral college with at least 278 votes based on popular vote in each state’s house races.

0fa3a8a22aef4446a64967ac2ba504a5.png

Democrats just took back the House by becoming (both candidates and voters) younger, more progressive, and more female. The 2020 nominee should check off at least 2 of those three boxes. Nominating an old white centrist male from the East Coast seems like a mistake.

Younger and more female, yes. More progressive in some bluer states, yes, but not in reddish states. In VA, Spanberger, Luria and Wexton are more on the moderate side (Spanberger has said she won't vote for Pelosi for speaker). One of the things the Dems did this midterm that was better than most is they got a whole lot of good candidates that tended to match their districts and states.

As for 2020, the reason I said Biden might be the right person is I strongly believe he'd win a tete-a-tete against Trump. And yeah, unfortunately liberal northeasterners (outside of maybe Moulton) I see as having issues winning southern and midwestern states. But I'm more than cool going with someone from further west. Beto scares me a bit because his resume is thin - a 3 term congressman, and despite a strong run, he still lost to Cruz. I know nothing of Harris, other than a couple of friends have said she's a good stump speaker. Why do some of y'all say she can't win?

Why don’t you start by nominating the best candidate for the country instaad trying to check race and gender boxes?

1. Race wasn’t one of the boxes.

2. The best candidate for the democrats will inevitably check off at least two of those boxes. If we find ourselves with a candidate who doesn’t, then we didn’t nominate the best candidate.

3. I’m positive we don’t need Republicans involved in the discussion of who Democrats should nominate.

2. The best candidate for the democrats will inevitably check off at least two of those boxes. If we find ourselves with a candidate who doesn’t, then we didn’t nominate the best candidate.

3. I’m positive we don’t need Republicans involved in the discussion of who Democrats should nominate.

wat

Better put, it’s a truism.

Saying “I think the Democrats should nominate someone who checks off the following boxes” is the same as saying “I think the best candidate will check off the following boxes.”

I obviously don’t think those are the most important criteria. I’d rather have Biden be the candidate than Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (if she were eligible to run) for example. But there are enough high quality candidates that are young, progressive, and/or female that it seems silly to look somewhere else unless there is a clearly better candidate.

If your not worried about trying to get my vote in this election, then enjoy feeling good about nominating your hard core leftist while Donald Trump enjoys four more years in office.

If your not worried about trying to get my vote in this election, then enjoy feeling good about nominating your hard core leftist while Donald Trump enjoys four more years in office.

I am not worried about getting your vote. I don't think Democrats should be worried about getting your vote. The amount of policy concessions that you would require in order to get your single vote is a far greater cost than attempting to GOTV with thousands of new voters. I'd rather spend my time getting those new voters.

I am not worried about getting your vote. I don't think Democrats should be worried about getting your vote. The amount of policy concessions that you would require in order to get your single vote is a far greater cost than attempting to GOTV with thousands of new voters. I'd rather spend my time getting those new voters.
This.

Pubs are going to vote for Trump anyway. Why bother trying to get them to fall out of love.

It’s going to be Beto/Harris in some order barring a gigantic scandal.

It’s going to be Beto/Harris in some order barring a gigantic scandal.

you have to wonder if scandals will matter anymore after 4 years of Trump. The next politician to get caught with his/her pants down (metaphor) is probably just going to pull a trump move and deny it and then say so what? Trump obviously is the master of this so it will be interesting to see if other pols will get away with it too or if they will be punished even moreso because Trump escaped from about 500 scandals and people want somebody to pay for it.

I could definitely see Trump making fun of Beto for not being able to beat Ted Cruz, because Lyin' Ted sucks

you have to wonder if scandals will matter anymore after 4 years of Trump. The next politician to get caught with his/her pants down (metaphor) is probably just going to pull a trump move and deny it and then say so what? Trump obviously is the master of this so it will be interesting to see if other pols will get away with it too or if they will be punished even moreso because Trump escaped from about 500 scandals and people want somebody to pay for it.

Scandals will matter for the Democrats, not the Republicans.

Back