• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

I think the true swing voters in the 2020 election -- in the sense that they are definitely going to vote, but unsure which mainstream party candidate to vote for -- are the upper and upper middle class voters who abhor Trump's behavior and lack of tact, but are scared of the personal financial implications of a more leftist president

I agree with this and think of my cousin who is an exec for a large company in Richmond. He's a registered Pub who has been voting Dem in recent years because of all the crazies VA Pubs have been running recently in statewide elections. He said he's voting for a generic Dem but not Sanders. I'm not sure which is worse - nominating Sanders and losing those folks or not nominating Sanders and having a significant number of his supporters staying home.

I agree with this and think of my cousin who is an exec for a large company in Richmond. He's a registered Pub who has been voting Dem in recent years because of all the crazies VA Pubs have been running recently in statewide elections. He said he's voting for a generic Dem but not Sanders.

If it comes up again, ask him what he's so worried about. What does he think would realistically happen in this hypothetical Sanders presidency that is so different/bad than the other dem candidates? I just don't see it, and I think otherwise smart people are falling for silly fearmongering.

I think about folks like my dad: long-time Republican, but switched to Independent ~5 years ago; has made a shift left on many social issues as he engages with a more diverse community that he has become a part of over the last ten or so years; skeptical of the Bernie-stye left for economic reasons. His concerns are:

- public sector's capacity to efficiently administer huge social programs
- any potential slowdown in the economy negatively impacts the most vulnerable the most (a version of rising tide lifts all boats)
- any program without "skin in the game" ultimately leads to abuse

I think these are all fair concerns and that the Bernie Left need to have an answer for them. I think the appeal of Warren vs. Bernie to someone like my dad is the detail she has put forth in her plans.

That said, I also think there is value in the aspirational nature of the Bernie campaign, moving the Overton window of discourse.

I think the true swing voters in the 2020 election -- in the sense that they are definitely going to vote, but unsure which mainstream party candidate to vote for -- are the upper and upper middle class voters who abhor Trump's behavior and lack of tact, but are scared of the personal financial implications of a more leftist president

I don’t think those are really swing voters. The first group may be usually but not in this election. Anybody who doesn’t know if they’ll vote for a Trump or a Dem is voting for Trump. The work it would take to get them to move Dem isn’t worth it.

The second group is Republicans. Reluctant Republicans but still Republicans who would be hard to swing.

Democrats should try to sow doubt in Republicans among these groups but trying to convert them is a risky investment.

By far the better investment for Democrats is increasing turnout. It’s a good long term play and possibly has a multiplier effect. Bring in a young voter and lock them in and you’ve got them for the next 20-40 cycles. You may get that “swing voter” in 2020 but they’ll vote Pub in the midterm. Bring in disaffected Black, Latinx, Muslim, immigrant voters and you may get a whole family, neighborhood, or congregation.

If it comes up again, ask him what he's so worried about. What does he think would realistically happen in this hypothetical Sanders presidency that is so different/bad than the other dem candidates? I just don't see it, and I think otherwise smart people are falling for silly fearmongering.

I'm guessing that he just disagrees with too many of Sanders' policies like M4A, GSL forgiveness, tax increases, foreign policy isolationism.... He's an establishment Pub who is pissed off by Trump and tea baggers but is equally leery of someone like Sanders. He gladly voted for Northam last time around but wouldn't have voted for Perrielo in the general had Perrielo won the primary. And he is an intelligent guy, unlike my evangelical dad who voted for Trump and told me he thought Trump had a great chance of bringing the country together and is now disappointed it didn't happen. My dad, fwiw, did say he wanted to vote Dem this year (and hasn't in a long time), and likes Steyer, Bloomberg and Biden but not Buttigieg (who isn't as far left as Steyer). I wonder what he has against Buttigieg.

Right, because there is no recent precedent where either the house or the senate rolls over to an extremist who is POTUS.

The left’s real weakness is emulating the extremism of the right. Why - just to piss the right off? If you don’t think any of it will be enacted why support it?

I know the answer is “TRUMP MUST GO” and I agree with that but you really have to look at the next four years and beyond as opposed to the next four days when casting a vote for POTUS. If Bernie is either going to be a failure or a successful extremist implementing policies I disagree with, why would I ever vote for him?

I think the one thing almost all of us can agree upon is that Tom Perez is the Danny Manning of national party chairs.

Right, because there is no recent precedent where either the house or the senate rolls over to an extremist who is POTUS.

The left’s real weakness is emulating the extremism of the right. Why - just to piss the right off? If you don’t think any of it will be enacted why support it?

I know the answer is “TRUMP MUST GO” and I agree with that but you really have to look at the next four years and beyond as opposed to the next four days when casting a vote for POTUS. If Bernie is either going to be a failure or a successful extremist implementing policies I disagree with, why would I ever vote for him?

Please, list the extreme policies you think he will enact.

the anti-left wing of CNN is pretty tiring

EP8lxeQVAAEUiwA

For a fixed $150 fee, the Bloomberg campaign is pitching micro-influencers—someone who has from 1,000 to 100,000 followers, in industry parlance—to create original content “that tells us why Mike Bloomberg is the electable candidate who can rise above the fray, work across the aisle so ALL Americans feel heard & respected.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mike-bloomberg-is-paying-influencers-to-make-him-seem-cool-9

ITT bernie bros find out about marketing

For a fixed $150 fee, the Bloomberg campaign is pitching micro-influencers—someone who has from 1,000 to 100,000 followers, in industry parlance—to create original content “that tells us why Mike Bloomberg is the electable candidate who can rise above the fray, work across the aisle so ALL Americans feel heard & respected.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mike-bloomberg-is-paying-influencers-to-make-him-seem-cool-9

This guy has way too much money.

We could use a stiff wealth tax, huh.

two cents! two cents!

hm, back of the envelope, that would be over $1 billion per year for Bloomberg. I guess that makes his $500 million vanity run seem like a bargain.

two cents! two cents!

hm, back of the envelope, that would be over $1 billion per year for Bloomberg. I guess that makes his $500 million vanity run seem like a bargain.

The two cents isn't per year. Isn't it two cents one time on total wealth?

There's an echo in here...

The two cents isn't per year. Isn't it two cents one time on total wealth?

It's annual. But I missed the billionaire's surcharge. So it's over $2 billion.

Ranger is right, this thing is taking forever to load. I'll move over to his new thread.

Back