• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Will you vote for Beto if he’s the nominee? Or will you vote for the easily corrupted third party?

Yes, I’ll vote for Beto. Will you vote for Bernie (or somebody to the left of Bernie)?

ETA: I don’t mind Beto as a liberal candidate (in the style of Clinton, Clinton, and Kerry). He’s just not a progressive and not my first, second...or tenth preference for the nomination.

Will you vote for Beto if he’s the nominee? Or will you vote for the easily corrupted third party?
That depends, if I talk shit about Beto am I still allowed to vote for him? Based on my experience on the tunnels, many of you don't seem to believe its possible to vote for someone that you actively dislike.

Definitely. Who else would I vote for?

I just think Bernie is a poor candidate. He needs to support younger Progressive candidates who have a broader message.

Definitely. Who else would I vote for?

I just think Bernie is a poor candidate. He needs to support younger Progressive candidates who have a broader message.

He’s less articulate than Beto, but do you honestly think Beto’s platform is better? What is Beto’s platform? Dude seems like a center-left chameleon. Hell, even Cory Booker’s platform has some teeth. I’m actually pretty impressed that it appears that he’s going to run on baby bonds!

Since you didn't add a link it's impossible to tell for sure, MDMH, but I didn't see anywhere in that quote where Beto said he wasn't a progressive. I saw him hedging because he was running against a conservative in Texas and needed moderates to swing his way.

I think you'd be surprised, or will be surprised, when you hear more from the guy. I spent a bunch of time recently with some of his campaign staff and they're pretty progressive people that believe in his progressiveness.

Since you didn't add a link it's impossible to tell for sure, MDMH, but I didn't see anywhere in that quote where Beto said he wasn't a progressive. I saw him hedging because he was running against a conservative in Texas and needed moderates to swing his way.

I think you'd be surprised, or will be surprised, when you hear more from the guy. I spent a bunch of time recently with some of his campaign staff and they're pretty progressive people that believe in his progressiveness.

Did you read the article that looked at his actual record? Talk is cheap. Our records speak for themselves, especially when being a center dem didn’t even win him a senate seat.

He’s less articulate than Beto, but do you honestly think Beto’s platform is better? What is Beto’s platform? Dude seems like a center-left chameleon. Hell, even Cory Booker’s platform has some teeth. I’m actually pretty impressed that it appears that he’s going to run on baby bonds!

I didn’t realize Beto, Bernie, and Booker were the only three options. Perhaps we can try another letter of the alphabet.

Pathetic to see people repeating the mistakes of 2016 by focusing their support on only one candidate so early, especially an old established candidate. It’s going to discourage good young Progressives from stepping up.

https://www-independent-co-uk.cdn.a...texas-2020-trump-president-race-a8687666.html my qualm with Beto has a lot more do with his congressional voting record, and his membership in the the New Democrat Coalition which is openly moderate, pro-corporate, and de-regulatory. As for being "a progressive", he was asked directly and wouldnt respond. I'm sure he has many staffers and volunteers who are liberal and excited, but they arent the ones who cast the votes.

I didn’t realize Beto, Bernie, and Booker were the only three options. Perhaps we can try another letter of the alphabet.

Pathetic to see people repeating the mistakes of 2016 by focusing their support on only one candidate so early, especially an old established candidate. It’s going to discourage good young Progressives from stepping up.
Biden

I have posted a few times that my preferred candidates are some combo of Gillibrand, Brown, and Harris.

You brought up Bernie, Ph. I would be thrilled with a candidate as left as Bernie to join the list above, but I just can’t see it happening in such a crowded field. 2016 was a unique circumstance where Clinton and the DNC dissuaded Clinton’s competition from even bothering to run, which opened the door for Bernie.

I think you’re really just arguing with yourself and folks like Shoo, Sig, ChrisL, etc. I talk about younger and more progressive candidates all the time. So does mdmh to a lesser extent.

I have posted a few times that my preferred candidates are some combo of Gillibrand, Brown, and Harris.

You brought up Bernie, Ph. I would be thrilled with a candidate as left as Bernie to join the list above, but I just can’t see it happening in such a crowded field. 2016 was a unique circumstance where Clinton and the DNC dissuaded Clinton’s competition from even bothering to run, which opened the door for Bernie.

Yeah. And I could see 2020 being a circumstance where Bernie bros and other Progressives dissuade other Progressives from even bothering to run. But in this case, it would be so Bernie would corner the market of Progressives to split the moderate/centrist/people who don't want Bernie vote.

I’m not sure Bernie can beat Trump. Beto ruins Trump, y’all might want to keep that in some consideration.

Beto is a good dude and the type of candidate that America needs, we don’t need the loud and vocal fringe ruining another election. Bernie needs to go away.

Pretty much. Beto strikes me as someone who felt he needed to be as Progressive as Texas could handle in order to compete vs. Cruz. If he plans to run against Cornyn, he'll probably stay that way. If he plans to run nationally, he'll tack further left.

I think Progressives need to understand that they don't have to move further left as the party moves left. That's a dick move that will just breed discontent. The Progressive left should be focused on marketing ideas to a broader audience rather than trying to brand people as not like them. Convince them, not convict them.

Yeah. And I could see 2020 being a circumstance where Bernie bros and other Progressives dissuade other Progressives from even bothering to run. But in this case, it would be so Bernie would corner the market of Progressives to split the moderate/centrist/people who don't want Bernie vote.

I haven’t seen that happening, though. And Beto isn’t a progressive. Fwiw, Our Revolution has been incredibly supportive to down ballot candidates and initiatives.

Being honest, if there was a "purity test" Bernie wouldnt even pass it. He just happens to have the best politics of the presumed field. I want a liberal populist "champion of the people" type candidate that actually stands for their beliefs. Andrew Gillum, before he started triangulating, was that type of candidate. Beto was never that guy.

Pretty much. Beto strikes me as someone who felt he needed to be as Progressive as Texas could handle in order to compete vs. Cruz. If he plans to run against Cornyn, he'll probably stay that way. If he plans to run nationally, he'll tack further left.

I think Progressives need to understand that they don't have to move further left as the party moves left. That's a dick move that will just breed discontent. The Progressive left should be focused on marketing ideas to a broader audience rather than trying to brand people as not like them. Convince them, not convict them.

I think you’re conflating progressives in general with your experience of MHB and mdmh in particular.

And I have yet to see evidence of what you are speculating that Bernie is doing.

I haven’t seen that happening, though. And Beto isn’t a progressive. Fwiw, Our Revolution has been incredibly supportive to down ballot candidates and initiatives.

Well yeah. That's my fear. They'll keep them down ballot instead of in the primary.

I don't know why you keep saying that I'm saying Beto is a Progressive. When I'm talking about Beto, I say Beto. When I'm talking about Progressives, I say Progressives.

The other thing is that Beto’s record exists. I don’t know why you won’t engage with his actual voting record. It’s weird, man. Even before he was a National darling, he was a politician with a voting record that looked a lot different from his rhetoric.

Well yeah. That's my fear. They'll keep them down ballot instead of in the primary.

I don't know why you keep saying that I'm saying Beto is a Progressive. When I'm talking about Beto, I say Beto. When I'm talking about Progressives, I say Progressives.

Your claim was that Bernie is not letting progressives like Beto into the mix, just like Clinton did with the young Dem bench in 2016. Your argument is also really slippery, too. Goalposts are moving too much and you’re fighting with yourself, man. I’m out.

The other thing is that Beto’s record exists. I don’t know why you won’t engage with his actual voting record. It’s weird, man. Even before he was a National darling, he was a politician with a voting record that looked a lot different from his rhetoric.

Because I'm not trying to claim he's a Progressive. I do think he will tack further left if he's running for President as opposed to running in Texas.

Your claim was that Bernie is not letting progressives like Beto into the mix, just like Clinton did with the young Dem bench in 2016. Your argument is also really slippery, too. Goalposts are moving too much and you’re fighting with yourself, man. I’m out.

No it wasn't. My claim was that Bernie's supporters are not going to let Progressives into the mix. The complete fealty to Bernie and early assault on Beto 23 months before the election were a sign they'll use the One True Progressive argument against actual Progressives too.

Back