• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

One more point. If Kamala isn’t President or VP of a brokered ticket, she’s probably the AG pick of the next Dem President.

I get your point as to senators being elected president. It is rare throughout our history. And I agree with Harris as AG - natural fit, and you wouldn't lose a senate seat. But if Buttigieg is the nominee, I would like to think he'd have a running mate with considerable DC experience. Same reason an inexperienced Obama picked Joe. To me, Klobuchar makes a lot of sense. Good geography, and we wouldn't likely lose that senate seat.

But I still gotta ask is Murca ready for a gay president, and is he electable in the general? I had thought America was ready for a mixed race president in Obama, but judging from the backlash, I believe I was mistaken. I say this as someone who likes Buttigieg and finds him refreshing. But whenever I think of nominating someone, I don't just think about who I like. I also think about who is most electable in a general. And while Buttigieg is rising in Dem polls, he still fares toward the bottom of the Dems vis-a-vis Trump. Sure, part of that is he's not well known. But how much of it is too many folks won't vote for someone who is gay or lesbian? I don't know.

And don't say we've already had a gay president. Sure, we've had a gay president and a lesbian 1st lady, but it's not exactly like voters realized either of those things at those times.

America will never be “ready” for any non-heteronormative President, including a female President. Electability is bullshit, we learned that in 2016. Being gay, being black, being a woman, none of that shit matters, the only question should be is whether or not a candidate can perform the duties of the office appropriately, ethically, and impartially.

So, it appears over a quarter of Sanders supporters are still trash.

America will never be “ready” for any non-heteronormative President, including a female President. Electability is bullshit, we learned that in 2016. Being gay, being black, being a woman, none of that shit matters, the only question should be is whether or not a candidate can perform the duties of the office appropriately, ethically, and impartially.

I agree the only question SHOULD be whether a candidate can perform the duties....

Disagree that electability is bullshite. I believe the lesson of 2016 was that the Clintons scared away the legit candidates, which left us with 2 unelectable candidates.

But I got screamed at by our resident Bernie Bros for suggesting there were a number of Dem Bernie primary voters who voted Trump in the general, as evidenced by a number of congressional districts that voted Obama in 2012 and Trump in 2016 and voted Romney in 2012 and Clinton in 2016.

I agree the only question SHOULD be whether a candidate can perform the duties....

Disagree that electability is bullshite. I believe the lesson of 2016 was that the Clintons scared away the legit candidates, which left us with 2 unelectable candidates.

Yep. Most of the current field would have beaten Hillary and Bernie and Trump.

Of course the Clintons scared away candidates in 2008 and Obama stepped up and won.

It’s pretty amazing how obsession with the Clintons has hurt both parties.

A quarter of Sanders supporters and Beto/Pete phans who have their choice of non-white male candidates to support across ideological spectrum and chose the white male candidates anyway!

A quarter of Sanders supporters and Beto/Pete phans who have their choice of non-white male candidates to support across ideological spectrum and chose the white male candidates anyway!

If they revert to Donald in the election if their candidate doesn’t win the nomination sure. I don’t think that it’s tragic to support Pete or Bernie against the democratic field solely because they’re white males.

If they revert to Donald in the election if their candidate doesn’t win the nomination sure. I don’t think that it’s tragic to support Pete or Bernie against the democratic field solely because they’re white males.

I thought we were back to casually calling people who disagree with us misogynists.

I am not really sure how that stat is defensible. I am not steeped in the details because, frankly, both are a little out there for me, but isn't Warren the most similar idealogically to Sanders? Certainly more similar than Trump is you would think.

Also, can we please stop pretending that electing Mayor Pete (or even just nominating him! or even just him running as a legitmate candidate! All things women have done) doesn't represent progress from an equality perspective? He's not just another white male candidate because there's a critical missing qualifier there.

Buttigieg Is Trump’s Kryptonite

https://www.thedailybeast.com/heres-why-pete-buttigieg-is-trumps-kryptonite

“So we don’t know yet who is best positioned to beat Trump. Any Democratic candidate who plays on a different field—who avoids the president’s angry terrain in favor of the sunny uplands where FDR, Reagan and Obama prevailed—will also have a good chance of beating him.

Rivals who are jealous of Buttigieg’s rapturous press coverage should stop rolling their eyes and borrow something from his debut. They, too, can speak in ways that move a nation.”

I am not really sure how that stat is defensible. I am not steeped in the details because, frankly, both are a little out there for me, but isn't Warren the most similar idealogically to Sanders? Certainly more similar than Trump is you would think.

Also, can we please stop pretending that electing Mayor Pete (or even just nominating him! or even just him running as a legitmate candidate! All things women have done) doesn't represent progress from an equality perspective? He's not just another white male candidate because there's a critical missing qualifier there.
Wrong, Bernie and Trump are pulling the populist vote. It’s only natural that there is a crossover of Bernie and Trump voters.

Back