• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

"new white guy who just lost to old white guy is just too perfect."

Is this about Beto and Cruz? They're close to the same age.

Shitty Americans are baked into elections. Good candidates know how to deal with it. The harsh reality is that Hillary fell well short of Obama's 2008 and 2012 numbers. She did not run a good campaign. She made several missteps that doomed her campaign. Sure, other bad things happened to her, but she didn't adjust as well as she could have.

I think you missed the point between new white guy and old white guy, but ok. Also, Ted Cruz seems a lot older. And whiter.

I think you missed the point between new white guy and old white guy, but ok.

So who is the new white guy who just lost to an old white guy? You're talking about somebody specifically, right?

So who is the new white guy who just lost to an old white guy? You're talking about somebody specifically, right?

Yes, Beto -- new to the scene. Cruz - old white guy (who has been around awhile and seems older than he is but is still 47, which qualifies as old under the ADEA).

OK. They both entered Congress in 2013, but I get your point.

I like the idea of Moulton, I especially like the idea of Trump trying to start shit with a veteran. I doubt it would affect his base, but the idea of Trump calling a Marine weak and anti-law and order will have to piss alot of them off. The problem is Moulton isn't that well known, even in Mass. He represents a wealthy district, and can get fundraising going, but he would really need to do something in the next two years to get a little more spotlight.

I really don't understand this Deval Patrick thing that is going on. Is it because he is a centrist?

Democrats need to start being for shit that matters -- healthcare, housing, infrastructure, education -- instead of just not being Republican.

When I think back to the Hillary campaign, I remember her running as 1) not Donald Trump 2) experienced and 3) potential first female president. I don't remember her policy platform to improve the lives of the average American.

A lot of the candidates listed so far seem like a continuation of this strategy.

I like the idea of Moulton, I especially like the idea of Trump trying to start shit with a veteran. I doubt it would affect his base, but the idea of Trump calling a Marine weak and anti-law and order will have to piss alot of them off. The problem is Moulton isn't that well known, even in Mass. He represents a wealthy district, and can get fundraising going, but he would really need to do something in the next two years to get a little more spotlight.

I really don't understand this Deval Patrick thing that is going on. Is it because he is a centrist?

Tammy Duckworth gives you a veteran, Purple Heart recipient, daughter of a WWII vet, Daughter of the American Revolution, and she's already taken on Trump by calling him "Cadet Bone Spurs."

Democrats need to start being for shit that matters -- healthcare, housing, infrastructure, education -- instead of just not being Republican.

When I think back to the Hillary campaign, I remember her running as 1) not Donald Trump 2) experienced and 3) potential first female president. I don't remember her policy platform to improve the lives of the average American.

A lot of the candidates listed so far seem like a continuation of this strategy.

TITCR

I think Biden is a terrible idea for multiple reasons. A Harris/Beto ticket would be very effective IMO. Duckworth/Sherrod Brown could also be effective. At this point I think Warren is damaged goods, and Bernie is too out of touch with POC to be POTUS, and too popular/proud to run as VP.

Last edited:
kamala harris, who i like a lot, cannot win

Democrats just took back the House by becoming (both candidates and voters) younger, more progressive, and more female. The 2020 nominee should check off at least 2 of those three boxes. Nominating an old white centrist male from the East Coast seems like a mistake.

Democrats just took back the House by becoming (both candidates and voters) younger, more progressive, and more female. The 2020 nominee should check off at least 2 of those three boxes. Nominating an old white centrist male from the East Coast seems like a mistake.

This.

I’m not too worried because primary turnout is going to be HUGE. I’m more worried about internal divisions within progressive groups. I’m already seeing people complain that Beto or Harris or whoever isn’t progressive enough.

The best way to ensure that the party runs a minority candidate is for Bernie to announce. I hope it doesn't play out like that because I don't like the optics of a schism between Democrat POC and white progressives. I'd rather the party announce a diverse progressive ticket early and Bernie/Warren endorse it.

The best way to ensure that the party runs a minority candidate is for Bernie to announce. I hope it doesn't play out like that because I don't like the optics of a schism between Democrat POC and white progressives. I'd rather the party announce a diverse progressive ticket early and Bernie/Warren endorse it.

I don’t like the optics of white progressives having Bernie/Warren as their standard bearers.

the unfortunate problem with this is that the Electoral College system denies a straight-line analysis between House elections and Presidential elections

overall, you're right and I think the Democrats win the popular vote (again)

the question is whether the 10 or so key states stack up to demographic analysis you offered as well (it may, I just don't think it's apples to apples)

Back