• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Bernie bros hate it when you tell them this

Any body who transitioned from Bernie to Trump clearly didn’t understand what Bernie was all about. Suggesting the Bernie and Donald come from the same place either from a campaign substance or spirit perspective is disingenuous and misguided. Some of their policies may have looked similar (e.g., TPP withdrawal) but is was completely superficial. I get so tired of Bernie trashing. He is a really good dude who has done a tremendous amount for the progressive cause.

Having said that, thus far I’m not supporting Bernie in this election. He too old and he’s lost his inspirational edge. So far I’m supporting Warren.

Bernie is a good dude but he definitely has attracted some major assholes into his camp, the type of people who seek instability rather than positive social change.

Here's an interesting poll that compares who Democrats would vote for vs. who they would magically wish could be president.
https://www.avalanchestrategy.com/electability

Here's the big takeaway. Warren is the "magic wand" leader in a very close race.
When perceived electability is removed from consideration, the Democratic primary race tightens significantly.

• When choosing a preferred president absent considerations of electability, 21% chose Warren, 19% chose Biden, 19% chose Sanders, 16% chose Buttigieg, 12% chose Harris, and 4% chose O’Rourke.

Other takeaways:

The Democratic electorate is experiencing a mix of extreme urgency, relatively low confidence and a mix of unsettled emotions

• 97% of likely Democratic voters believe it is very or extremely important to beat Trump
  • Only 28% of likely Democrat voters believe that a Democratic nominee will certainly win in 2020, compared to 61% of likely Republican voters.

Seems like Republicans are extremely overconfident. Fewer than 10% doubt a Republican will win.

Only 2/3 of likely Biden voters actually want him to be President. More people want Sanders, Warren, and Pete to be president than say they will actually vote for him.

I'm not sure if the other candidates were in this poll, but if they were it looks bad for them. There's no indication there are voters who are saying they're for a top 6 candidate who really want a lower tier candidate.

Last edited:
And the point that I was making re: Bernie bros is that, despite what you wish to think, there is an overlap between the messages Bernie and Trump were putting forward to voters. To Bernie’s credit, he actually meant the things he said and hasn’t been gaslighting the country for 4 years.

I should have read this first. Sorry for jumping on you ADT. There wasn’t overlap in the message though it was some small over lap in the policy preferences. Bernie’s message was about holding trading partners to modern labor and environmental standards while Trump was about 19th century protectionism and they both concluded that pulling out of the TPP was optimal. Completely different messages with the same policy outcome.

Bernie is a good dude but he definitely has attracted some major assholes into his camp.

Not accusing you of doing this, but picking one's candidate based off how their support acts on social media is probably not the best idea. Especially when the Democrats' "playing nice" has gotten us where we currently are

Not accusing you of doing this, but picking one's candidate based off how their support acts on social media is probably not the best idea. Especially when the Democrats' "playing nice" has gotten us where we currently are

Given that's how supporters rally support, I think it's a factor. Either way, the "Bernie or Bust" attitude is a problem with his base as well as the failure to accept the W and bring people into his camp. It's like they want to be permanent outsiders.

Steve Harvey: Top 7 answers on the board. We asked 100 white men “How do you respond when someone calls you a racist?”

*buzzer sound*

Family A: “I don’t have a racist bone in my body”

Harvey: Survey says?

*ding*

Harvey: #2 answer

Family B: “Some of my best friends are black.”

*ding*

Harvey: #1 answer. Do you want to play or pass?

Family B: I think we’ll pass, Steve.

Harvey: Good call, player.

Steve Harvey: Top 7 answers on the board. We asked 100 white men “How do you respond when someone calls you a racist?”

*buzzer sound*

Family A: “I don’t have a racist bone in my body”

*ding*

Harvey: #2 answer

Family B: “Some of my best friends are black.”

*ding*

Harvey: #1 answer. Do you want to play or pass?

Family B: I think we’ll pass, Steve.

Harvey: Good call, player.

I'm gonna jump in and steal.

"I was the veep for Obama"

Is it the same thing to “defend” segregationists as to work with them if you are together in a legislative body and can find reasonable common cause?

Bernie is a good dude but he definitely has attracted some major assholes into his camp, the type of people who seek instability rather than positive social change.

Here's an interesting poll that compares who Democrats would vote for vs. who they would magically wish could be president.
https://www.avalanchestrategy.com/electability

Here's the big takeaway. Warren is the "magic wand" leader in a very close race.
When perceived electability is removed from consideration, the Democratic primary race tightens significantly.

• When choosing a preferred president absent considerations of electability, 21% chose Warren, 19% chose Biden, 19% chose Sanders, 16% chose Buttigieg, 12% chose Harris, and 4% chose O’Rourke.

Other takeaways:

The Democratic electorate is experiencing a mix of extreme urgency, relatively low confidence and a mix of unsettled emotions

• 97% of likely Democratic voters believe it is very or extremely important to beat Trump
  • Only 28% of likely Democrat voters believe that a Democratic nominee will certainly win in 2020, compared to 61% of likely Republican voters.

Seems like Republicans are extremely overconfident. Fewer than 10% doubt a Republican will win.

Only 2/3 of likely Biden voters actually want him to be President. More people want Sanders, Warren, and Pete to be president than say they will actually vote for him.

I'm not sure if the other candidates were in this poll, but if they were it looks bad for them. There's no indication there are voters who are saying they're for a top 6 candidate who really want a lower tier candidate.

This all makes a fair amount of sense. And it's pretty much where I'm at. The 2 candidates I like the most are Klobuchar and Buttigieg, but Klobuchar has generated no support, and I'm concerned about Buttigieg's lack of experience and electability. And yeah, while it sucks ass, it appears that being female is an impediment to being elected president. And as unpopular as Trump is outside his base, I am worried that this election could still be lost.

Is it the same thing to “defend” segregationists as to work with them if you are together in a legislative body and can find reasonable common cause?

When that reasonable common cause was anti-busing and anti-desegregation legislation?

Why should it be impressive that racist old dudes liked Biden?

It’s also amazing how mere association with Barack Obama turned this guy into a front runner.

It’s also amazing how mere association with Barack Obama turned this guy into a front runner.

And much of that mere association is because Democrats didn't have a good bench to draw from for VP candidates.

Another example of Obama choosing the conservative option

Who were the other options in 2008? The Clintons and DNC had just spent the last 8 years making sure Hillary was the only "presidential" option.

Back