• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Junebug didn’t see it on Drudge.

People all over the country have family stories like this. Somehow it’s a “grift” because a prominent Democrat has one too.

Junebug didn’t see it on Drudge.

People all over the country have family stories like this. Somehow it’s a “grift” because a prominent Democrat has one too.

My mom told my daughter on FaceTime last week that her feet were so big (size 10.5 at 12 years old) because her great great great grandfather was half Native American from the Blackfoot tribe in Minnesota. I quickly told my daughter she was not allowed to check that box on her college application in 5 years and to be wary of the story if she ever ran for President.

If I was Native American I would be more offended by her lying about her race in an attempt to gain an advantage than that joke.

This is a strange take. Sure both things suck, but you’d be more offended by someone try to join your group on false pretenses than by some one calling your group a bunch of violent savages?

This is a strange take. Sure both things suck, but you’d be more offended by someone try to join your group on false pretenses than by some one calling your group a bunch of violent savages?

Did you even see Soul Man ?

I would like to come back to this. Have you seriously never heard of affirmative action? You see, the way it works, in theory at least, is that certain institutions, academic institutions being a great example, attempt to remedy past discrimination that results in present underrepresentation of minorities by having present preferences for certain groups that have historically been discriminated against. The merits and demerits of the practice aside, it has the present result of favoring certain historically disadvantaged races and ethnic groups. Thus, if someone claims to be a member of a historically disfavored but now favored group, they are more likely to get a job, a promotion, recognition, etc. than if they weren’t a member of that group. In this way, in these institutions, it is now a positive benefit to be a member of a historically disadvantaged group whereas historically advantaged groups are now disadvantaged. This doesn’t mean that someone in a historically disadvantaged group didn’t earn the job on merit, but it is easy to see why someone in a field that uses affirmative action might claim membership in a historically disadvantaged group even if their right to claim membership in that group is tenuous, at best.

I’m surprised you’ve never heard of this. What is your job again?

That’s not the way it works. That’s just more white victimhood BS. It doesn’t even make sense. If there’s a large system in place to advantage non-white people over white people, why are non-white people disadvantaged?

Warren has apologized many times and worked to rectify her actions. Meanwhile, the POTUS continues to use racist jokes and mockery to degrade her.

In theory, anyway, that is the present result of prior discrimination, particularly in a field like academia with tenure, which makes the prior discrimination difficult to remedy immediately. Why are you so resistant to this?

Resistant to what? The idea that affirmative action unfairly advantages the disadvantaged? Because it's not true and doesn't even make sense.

What fact did you state?

It's not an advantage to not be a white guy. You don't seem to understand that odds are the best person for the job is probably not a white man. They only make up like 33% of the population. If a non-white person gets hired, it's not because they had an advantage. It's probably because they were the best person for the job.

How warped is it to sit here and claim a woman from Oklahoma who went from a stay at home mom to Harvard professor to Senator to possible president got there because she told people her family told her she had some Native American ancestry? As if being Native American is some golden ticket.

Last edited:
I would hope your daughter wouldn’t be stupid enough to believe and repeat that story by the time she is old enough to run for president.

It really has nothing to do with how smart she is, but mostly to do with having a dad that will teach her the idea and story is stupid. Her grandmother isn’t stupid either, MBA, MA in economics and a JD, but she had no role models to teach her that the story was probably false and even if it was true, that didn’t make her an Indian.

Anyway, this analysis of Pocahontas’ motivation for repeating a false family narrative is fun and all but it doesn’t change the fact that referencing Native Americans (a warranted self label or not) as taking scalps is racist.

Warren has apologized many times and worked to rectify her actions. Meanwhile, the POTUS continues to use racist jokes and mockery to degrade her.

^This. There is no comparison between Trump and Warren (or any of the Democratic nominees, for that matter.) Trump says and tweets and does things that are so far beyond anything the Democratic candidates have done that you'd have to be willfully obtuse not to notice. Warren has a minor controversy over the Native American heritage story, repeatedly apologizes, and the GOP still ridicules her as "Pocahontas" and regards her as a massive fraud. Meanwhile, their hero has done a hundred times worse, and all they do is shrug, or even cheer him on. And you could say the same for almost any of the other Democratic candidates in comparison to Trump. #whatabout #theyareallthesame

You're gay.

ETA: A better way to say this would be, "if Numbers could take a joke as well as he takes a dick, the world would be a better place."

Last edited:
Also, scalping kicks ass. There's nothing demeaning about it. Native Americans were not mindless savages. They just had a different (but still incredibly rich) culture.

It pains me to belittle the opinion expressed, but, while valid because it's an opinion, it sounds like more of a kneejerk "don't hurt me anymore" coupled with some pussy-victim ideology that they've been fed by someone else. Unfortunately, that probably shames their ancestors more than it doesn't.

Honor their ancestors. Acknowledge their way of life.

Back