• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

So you’re ignoring the time before he was officially a candidate?

No. Not at all. I acknowledge that he has and continues to support M4A. Early on in his campaign he described M4AWWI as his plan to make it happen.

You’re arguing he changed his stance in Feb in response donations that came months later.

If he supported Medicare for All he could simply support the legislation instead of using conservative talking points against it.

Iowa is in for a treat:

If he supported Medicare for All he could simply support the legislation instead of using conservative talking points against it.

M4A was a vague idea well before it was specific legislation. And if Pete becomes president, several of his primary opponents will be involved in crafting the legislation.

I’m not for keeping private insurance but I realize his plan is simply a way to phase out private insurance over time.

Last edited:
But it wasn’t a vague idea. It meant single payer. It didn’t mean M4AWWI.

But it wasn’t a vague idea. It meant single payer. It didn’t mean M4AWWI.

Still does. That’s what would happen after private insurance phases out. You don’t have to agree but at least argue in good faith.

(sigh) another launch video:

If multiple candidates consistently get 15% of the vote in primaries, we could be in for a brokered convention.

I'd love to know what analysis Patrick is doing to justify jumping in late. I wish we had shorter primaries and shorter elections in general. I get it. But it shows a lack of respect for the process and the hard work that all the other candidates have put in to just throw on a bib and sprint to the end of a marathon.

New rule: if Bain Capital is on your resume, you are barred from the presidency.

No thanks Deval. That said, if on July 16, 2020 you're announced as the Dem candidate, I'm all for you.

Right. Like what are these people reading to think that a billionaire New York mayor and soft spoken Bain Capital guy have a lane in this election in which 25+ people ran and there are only four contenders.

I don't think it's a matter of respect

just political calculation (not a statement on effectiveness of the calculus)

It seems like they are nervous about Biden. But instead of supporting someone else, they are stepping in themselves. Which, if they make any headway (big if), could end up fracturing Biden's support.

Deval's launch seems a bit rushed, I wonder if he was trying to get in before Bloomberg.

If the Top 4 stay in through Super Tuesday and split 75% of each vote, it may be mathematically impossible for anyone to get a majority on the first ballot.

Back