• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

I like Julian Castro's Marshall Plan idea, though I think it would be a nightmare getting the money to the right places without it disappearing. Still a much better long term solution.

Are we going to bother with Schultz discussion here or just wait for him to evaporate?

Sometimes I think about commenting on Schultz, but then I remind myself that he's one random dude running as an independent who gets a hugely outsized amount of attention because he has a ton of money.

I remain salty at the idea of a man who tried to get taxpayers to buy him a basketball stadium running on a platform of "we can't afford that."

I like graphs. So here is one from February breaking down how politically the candidates stack up from Moderate to Liberal.

ai2html-graphic-desktop.jpg

The numbers don't come through but they go 0-100 with Lib to the left and Moderate to the right, with Warren at 27 to Klobuchar at 73. We can squeeze Sanders to the left of Warren and probably put O'Rourke somewhere around Klobuchar. Biden is probably just to the right of Klobuchar.

This is from a site called voteview.com, really fun to play around with, especially when you check out both houses, and see how much of the center is up for play.

Anyway, the point of the graph is to show how current candidates stack up against previous Democratic Candidates

The Average 2020 Candidate is 51, Clinton 63, and Kerry Obama at 66. So historically speaking, a candidate like O'Rourke or Biden would be the way to go, but with the current race to the left, who knows.

There are several candidates who I am not as familiar with, and who are not reprsented on teh graph, I would be interested to hear where you think they would land.

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/12/poli...field-more-liberal-than-past-years/index.html

I like graphs. So here is one from February breaking down how politically the candidates stack up from Moderate to Liberal.

The numbers don't come through but they go 0-100 with Lib to the left and Moderate to the right, with Warren at 27 to Klobuchar at 73. We can squeeze Sanders to the left of Warren and probably put O'Rourke somewhere around Klobuchar. Biden is probably just to the right of Klobuchar.

This is from a site called voteview.com, really fun to play around with, especially when you check out both houses, and see how much of the center is up for play.

Anyway, the point of the graph is to show how current candidates stack up against previous Democratic Candidates

The Average 2020 Candidate is 51, Clinton 63, and Kerry Obama at 66. So historically speaking, a candidate like O'Rourke or Biden would be the way to go, but with the current race to the left, who knows.

There are several candidates who I am not as familiar with, and who are not reprsented on teh graph, I would be interested to hear where you think they would land.

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/12/poli...field-more-liberal-than-past-years/index.html

Kerry and Clinton lost to absolute buffoons. Why would a candidate like O'Rourke or Biden be the way to go?

I don’t think people vote along a continuum.

Kerry and Clinton lost to absolute buffoons. Why would a candidate like O'Rourke or Biden be the way to go?

Based on the results of recent Democratic Primaries, the moderate candidates, such as O'Rourke or Biden, have gone on to the General Election, however as I stated above, with the current race to the left, that does not look to be the path to victory anymore.

I don’t think people vote along a continuum.

My interpretation is that people tend to vote for the politician whose ideas closest match their own, and with the Democratic Party shifting to the left, alot of the ideas that were once considered too liberal, are now being thought of as more mainstream. So maybe people dont vote along a continuum, but the ideas that alot of people tend to be talking about now are shifting, so are people's political positions.

The winner of the Dem primary will be the candidate that can distill liberal ideas down to basic soundbite level ideas. Instead of campaigning on the particulars like “Medicare for All” or “Green New Deal”, I think the winner will be the person who can get those working class pseudo-Republicans to understand that means “we want to make sure YOU have health care” and “we want YOU and YOUR KIDS to breathe clean air and have more job opportunities”. Make the pseudo-GOP Dem primary candidates have to run on anti-health care and anti-jobs/clean air. Because that is what it comes down to. Sound bites. (Which is sad)

I don’t think people necessarily vote for someone whose ideas match their own because most voters don’t have fully informed views about most issues.

I agree with Turtle in some respects. I think it’s more about confidence that someone will advocate for them and ability to communicate effectively.

Dems have another moderate they can vote for

Because the only way Trump is re-elected is if the Dems go out and nominate someone left of center. Hillary Clinton was a twice in a lifetime horrible candidate. Run someone who the public likes who is at or right of Hillary on that scale above and Trump will be destroyed in the general. There are so many independents and GOPers who are just ready to crush him. Nominate Elizabeth Warren or Kamala Harris and he'll have a path. Go towards someone like Beto or Klobuchar and he'll get destroyed.

Back