• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Because if there is one thing Townie gets, it's the Black experience.

I do want to congratulate him on his recent marriage though.

Black%2BFace.jpg

I saw that article was trending and thought, oh shit, that must be a really solid piece nailing Pete for something recent he really messed up. Then I read it and it is all based on one pretty innocuous quote from 2011 and blames Pete for everything wrong in Indiana and the nation -- smart! It is a completely trash article.

That article read like someone went in with an axe to grind and manufactured a narrative around a quote from 8 years ago.

Complete trash is accurate.

I did go to decent public schools in Winston-Salem, and had the benefit of some diversity in the classroom before the Wake bubble. I didn't post (or read) the article because of my own experience though, but because I found one different from my own to be edifying. It's ok that it didn't resonate with you or that it irked you that it vilified Pete. The anger is telling too, though.

I disagree that the article blames Pete for causing problems. In fact, I found the writing quite lucid, especially the quote I already pulled out, which is to say Pete knows better than what he's saying here, and he's knowingly perpetuating sterotypes that are unhelpful at best and damaging at worst. We don't really have much history to judge him on other than his one run for elected office where these quotes are taken from. So far the education policy the debates have focused on has generally been student loan debt cancellation and not primary or secondary ed. He doesn't have a section about it on his Issues page of his website either, just higher ed.

Warren wants to cancel $640B in overwhelmingly college debt for white people but only $7B for black entrepreneurs?

Exactly how will she lower rents by 10%? Talk about a pipe dream. This is like a 5th grader saying if you elect her for student council that she'll end pop quizzes and have double recess.

Here's another piece that should drum up some discussion:

https://www.politico.com/news/magaz...-obama-2020-democrats-candidates-biden-073025

I think David Klion put it well: Obama’s post-presidency is grating and full of contradictions. He considers himself the leader of the party but refuses to lead. He considers himself a success but the mere fact of Trump’s presidency belies this. He won on hope and counsels hopelessness.

I don't really put so much of the blame or responsibility on Obama's shoulders, I think he's done enough. But the Dem establishment can't help itself, the whole Neera Tanden wing trying to save the country from a Bernie presidency.

Warren wants to cancel $640B in overwhelmingly college debt for white people but only $7B for black entrepreneurs?

Exactly how will she lower rents by 10%? Talk about a pipe dream. This is like a 5th grader saying if you elect her for student council that she'll end pop quizzes and have double recess.

lol very cool stuff man, great summary, overwhelmingly college try

Here's another piece that should drum up some discussion:

https://www.politico.com/news/magaz...-obama-2020-democrats-candidates-biden-073025

I think David Klion put it well: Obama’s post-presidency is grating and full of contradictions. He considers himself the leader of the party but refuses to lead. He considers himself a success but the mere fact of Trump’s presidency belies this. He won on hope and counsels hopelessness.

I don't really put so much of the blame or responsibility on Obama's shoulders, I think he's done enough. But the Dem establishment can't help itself, the whole Neera Tanden wing trying to save the country from a Bernie presidency.

what?

The college debt issue is a negative one for the general election. There are tens of millions more people who did not or could not go to college than those who did. This is a simple fact. To compound that with a massive giveaway to those who did will cause a backlash. It will be a bigger culture war issue than all the others combined.

I know you guys hate hearing any reality that challenges your sacred cows, but this is reality.

The college debt issue is a negative one for the general election. There are tens of millions more people who did not or could not go to college than those who did. This is a simple fact. To compound that with a massive giveaway to those who did will cause a backlash. It will be a bigger culture war issue than all the others combined.

I know you guys hate hearing any reality that challenges your sacred cows, but this is reality.

Chalk anti-Hindu up for RJ Bingo

I saw that article was trending and thought, oh shit, that must be a really solid piece nailing Pete for something recent he really messed up. Then I read it and it is all based on one pretty innocuous quote from 2011 and blames Pete for everything wrong in Indiana and the nation -- smart! It is a completely trash article.

Yeah. It’s a shit article.

This is how you know it’s shit. “And if you ask how he got into Harvard or became a Rhodes Scholar, Mayor Pete would probably insist that it had nothing to do with whiteness.” Pete has spoken on his own white privilege plenty of times.

The quote from 2011 isn’t much different than what Obama said throughout his presidency. Doesn’t make it right but it’s not some virulent racism. It also makes the assumption that Pete learned nothing about race between Obama’s first term and the Trump era or between running for mayor and being mayor or from 29 to 37 years old.

I agree with RJ here. This student debt forgiveness policy is a loser in the general election, and easy pickings for Trump. Not to mention it’s so politically unviable, why even waste energy on it when it could potentially backfire in a very important election.

Back