• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Amazon new HQ split between NYC and Northern Virginia

I think I heard that one. I hadn’t thought much about the issue until then.

Thanks. That’s the article I was talking about above.

I haven't looked at the details, but I'd be curious to understand how these deals compare to stadium public financing swindles.

Inside Georgia’s secret bid for Amazon’s second headquarters

The total incentive package would have topped $2 billion. It would have included $1.3 billion in “mega project tax credits,” a $320 million sales tax break for construction materials, and a $100 million direct investment in the headquarters site.

One of the components would have been an on-site “Amazon Georgia Academy” operated with the help of the University System of Georgia and the state tech college system. The price tag was listed as “incalculable/TBD” by state officials.

It would have offered a 24-week boot camp program for staffers, undergraduate and post-graduate coursework, and state-sponsored recruiters to help fill the company’s jobs. The state would pay to build the academy and pick up the first five years of operating costs – including salaries of professors and recruiters.

This is where it gets more interesting. The state proposed an exclusive lounge at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport for Amazon executives, along with 50 free parking spots. And the firm developing a nearby hotel offered a plot of land for an “Amazon Experience Center” near the sprawling airport.

Deadspin is doing some good work. Those MD and NJ deals are baffling.

Back