• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP St. Joe's Preview 11:30 AM (YES AM) Thursday November 15

Pilchard

Reaction score
This season: 2-0 St. Joe's has had a strong start to the season beating #93 ODU and #219 Monmouth by 15. St. Joe's hosted both games. Reportedly, St. Joe's also blew out last year's NCAA tourney darling UMBC in a secret scrimmage. When the season began, St. Joe's was ranked 105, after the first two wins, the Hawks have jumped to #88.

Offense: The Hawk O is ranked #109, and they play at a moderate tempo -- #161. They don't turn the ball over - averaging only 10 TOs per game (#5). No other offensive numbers stick out. St. Joe's does not hit the offensive glass (#219 in O rebounding). They have shot 34% from 3 (#157), 51.4% from 2 (#141) and 73% from the line (#104). They are an essentially mediocre shooting team, but as set forth below all of their starters can hit 3s.

Defense: St. Joe's strength is their D (#77). They don't give up points in transition, which explains why they suck on the offensive glass. The average length of their defensive possession is #292 (shortest to longest); so, they get back on D and force opponents to beat them with half court O. St. Joe's keeps teams off the offensive glass (#11 in preventing offensive rebounds), and they don't foul (#39 in free throw attempts per defensive field goal attempts). St. Joe's does not pressure the ball (#300 in TO percentage; #302 in steals) and do not block shots (#301 in block percentage). Apparent, that the defensive philosophy is to force extended possessions, don't give up easy shots and prevent 2nd chance points.

Lineup: St. Joe's returned 4 starters, but lost their PG from last year. Their starting PG is a freshman from DC -- Jared Bynum (would've been a nice recruit for WF), and he has done the job: 2nd on the team in minutes, shooting 50% from 3 and he has limited the TOs. All 5 starters can shoot the 3, and they have a small back court and average sized front line (#226 in average height): 5-10 (PG Bynum), 6-0 (2G Lamarr Kimble), 6-7 (SG Charlie Brown), 6-9 (PF Taylor Funk) , 6-8 (C Pierfrancesco Oliva from Italy). St. Joe's has a limited bench as only 2 non-starters average more than 10 minutes a game. Brown is the Hawks leading scorer averaging 20 a game; Kimble is averaging 15 a game, and Oliva 10. Oliva is prone to foul trouble.

Bottom Line: Phil Martelli has coached St. Joe's for 23 years; so, he has a system in place, and his team knows how to execute his gameplan. Martelli last took the Hawks to the NCAA in 2016 when they went 28-8 and won a first round game. St. Joe's has struggled the last two years, but things are looking up for the Hawks this year with four returning starters, and a solid frosh PG. Brandon has to win the PG battle, and WF will need to score in the half court to win. With their small back court, WF should be able to get some uncontested 3 point looks, and WF has a size edge at almost every spot on the floor. KP projects a 76-75 St. Joe's win.

With Neath set to announce at 10am, the good vibes should lift the spirits of the team and propel them to victory!!!

Looking forward to this game... Should be tight.

I hope Wake battles, but my gut says ST Joe's is too experienced and will win from tip to buzzer. Charlie Brown is a stud and is going to be tough to contain IMO. If this game goes as I expect, Wake should finish up the tournament 2-1 by beating Cal St Fullerton and likely Valpo.

I hope Wake battles, but my gut says ST Joe's is too experienced and will win from tip to buzzer. Charlie Brown is a stud and is going to be tough to contain IMO. If this game goes as I expect, Wake should finish up the tournament 2-1 by beating Cal St Fullerton and likely Valpo.

Assuming there's some magic number of wins out there that Wellman is expecting to retain Manning, losing G1 is probably the best shot at getting out of Myrtle Beach with 2 wins.

Assuming there's some magic number of wins out there that Wellman is expecting to retain Manning, losing G1 is probably the best shot at getting out of Myrtle Beach with 2 wins.

Truth. Well, at least the 2nd part of that statement.

This is actually a solid set of teams for this tourney...

KPs:
West Virginia - 14
UCF - 76
St. Joe's - 88
Western Kentucky - 89
Wake Forest - 103
Cal-State Fullerton - 131
Valpo - 133
Monmouth - 219

2-1 would be a nice result... and 3-0 would have me at full attention.

I'm surprised to read that Martelli is still coaching St. Joe's. For some reason I thought he had retired.

Anyway, let's pay these SOBs back for 2004.

Idk, I watched St. Joe’s play Monmouth last night and came away unimpressed with everyone except Charlie Brown. Hoard should have a field day against their two slow footed big men, and their two guards looked to have jacked up form on their jumpers, shooting a combined 2/12 from deep. They attack the rim and don’t turn the ball over, but as far as athleticism or shooting I didn’t see much.

Random Wake Forest / St. Joe's History:

Wake has not played St. Joe's since 3/25/2004... The 84-80 loss in the NCAAs.
Before that, the last game was 12/27/1982 - A 88-65 Wake Forest victory.
Prior to the Wake loss in 2004, Wake had won 3 in a row vs. St. Joe's (1982, 1975, 1969).
Since 1949, St. Joe's is actually Wake's 19th most frequent D1 opponent... Wake is only 6-11 in 17 match-ups.

What streaming service has this game? Some random facebook thing like last year?

It's on ESPNU. It's at 11:30 am for a reason.

St. Joe Fieldhouse was a great place for pick-up games. Besides being good runs, Larry's cheesesteaks was right there. In the spring/summer, The Stand's fantastic water ice was a few blocks away.

Without taking French at St. Joe's summer school, at night, I may not have graduated from Wake.

Back in the day on campus, 2K was running an NCAA Hoops promo for the latest installment of their 2K college hoops video game. Each school in the sweet 16 held a campus wide tournament, then the campus winner played the winner for their actual sweet 16 matchup. All of the winners (elite 8) then got a free trip to the final four for the conclusion of the tourney.

I won the Wake Forest tournament (won an xbox, some 2k games, some other random swag) and lost to this donk from St. Joe's on a buzzer beater 3 (I was up 2) by Pat Carroll. I have hated St. Joe's ever since.

Back in the day on campus, 2K was running an NCAA Hoops promo for the latest installment of their 2K college hoops video game. Each school in the sweet 16 held a campus wide tournament, then the campus winner played the winner for their actual sweet 16 matchup. All of the winners (elite 8) then got a free trip to the final four for the conclusion of the tourney.

I won the Wake Forest tournament (won an xbox, some 2k games, some other random swag) and lost to this donk from St. Joe's on a buzzer beater 3 (I was up 2) by Pat Carroll. I have hated St. Joe's ever since.

and WF has not been back to the Sweet 16 since you choked that one away

thanks for the curse

Back