• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bullshit Moscow Mitch Says

IMO, the "gives to charity and does great things for people individually" isn't much different from the "I have a black/brown friend at work, so I can't be a racist" line. I know several conservatives who are nice people personally, and donate to charities or help the needy who come by their church asking for help and all that. It's not to be discounted, but what most conservatives refuse to recognize, imo, is that individual acts of charity don't necessarily make up for supporting uncharitable political leaders and policies that actively harm large numbers of people. Cutting the social safety net, restricting various rights of people not like you, is more important in many ways than whether you're willing to give some money or private assistance to individuals. Hubert Humphrey near the end of his life said that "The moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children, those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly, and those who are in the shadows of life - the sick, the needy, and the handicapped." Helping some people on an individual level means a good deal less if you also support policies and leaders who harm much larger numbers of people on a greater scale, imo.

well that's a stupid opinion because one is a subtly racist comment, whereas the other is a good Samaritan making a difference in his/her community.

I can respect the rest of your post.

Sorry, if you are a nationalist, you are white nationalist. There is no middle ground only a feeble attempt to justify his position.

No sane person wants totally open borders. It is certainly not a position of the DNC or its leadership. Using this lie is the same as Africaaners in apartheid South Africa telling anyone who would listen how "well" they treated blacks in their country. It's every bit as racist as they were.

Trying to promote this BS is simply a way to avoid saying, "I don't want any more black or brown people becoming Americans.

This just shows you are unable to think past your biases. A portion of the nonwhite population feels the same way about their country as the nationalists who happen to be white. Denying that is a flat our fallacy.

Last edited:
well that's a stupid opinion because one is a subtly racist comment, whereas the other is a good Samaritan making a difference in his/her community.

I can respect the rest of your post.

Having heard both excuses repeatedly over the years, and knowing these people as I do, I disagree that it's stupid. In fact, many of them who give to charity also have used some version of the "I have a black/brown friend" over the years, and a good many have told racist jokes in private among friends and family. They're still nice as can be in person, including to blacks and other minorities, but I've heard both lines too often to consider it stupid.

Having heard both excuses repeatedly over the years, and knowing these people as I do, I disagree that it's stupid. In fact, many of them who give to charity also have used some version of the "I have a black/brown friend" over the years, and a good many have told racist jokes in private among friends and family. They're still nice as kind be in person, including to blacks and other minorities, but I've heard both lines too often to consider it stupid.

Like most of my views, I fully understand that the people you described above exist, AS WELL as those who don't make racist jokes and don't use subtly racist "I have a black friend" comments. My problem with labeling certain people in groups is there are typically a lot of overlooked gray areas that are filled with wonderful citizens who sadly get lumped into the category you're talking about. Is that fair?

This just shows you are unable to think past your biases. A portion of the nonwhite population feels the same way about their country as the nationalists who happen to be white. Denying that is a flat our fallacy.

Nationalism across the world is based in white supremacy and bigotry and has been since at least the 1930s. The nationalism in France, Germany, Poland and other places aren't anti-European immigration. It's about African and Muslim immigration.

DAvid Duke and other white supremacists often say they don't hate blacks, Asians and Jews, they just love white people. This is exactly what you are trying to do.

Nationalism across the world is based in white supremacy and bigotry and has been since at least the 1930s. The nationalism in France, Germany, Poland and other places aren't anti-European immigration. It's about African and Muslim immigration.

DAvid Duke and other white supremacists often say they don't hate blacks, Asians and Jews, they just love white people. This is exactly what you are trying to do.

So there aren't any Black, Hispanic or Asian citizens in this country that are nationalists?

I see the parallels to “he gives to charity” and “I have a friend who is a person of color.” The former is frequently used to show that they give back to the community and are philanthropic so therefore it’s okay for them to be against higher taxes. The latter is used to show that they cannot possibly be racist because they interact favorably with a person of color.

Neither instance (anecdotes) provides a persuasive argument for why we shouldn’t raise taxes to increase revenue to areas of need - merely because some people do give to charity - or why systemic racism doesn’t exist or someone can have prejudiced views against a group of people while still having favorable interactions with someone in the group.

I see the parallels to “he gives to charity” and “I have a friend who is a person of color.” The former is frequently used to show that they give back to the community and are philanthropic so therefore it’s okay for them to be against higher taxes. The latter is used to show that they cannot possibly be racist because they interact favorably with a person of color.

Neither instance (anecdotes) provides a persuasive argument for why we shouldn’t raise taxes to increase revenue to areas of need - merely because some people do give to charity - or why systemic racism doesn’t exist or someone can have prejudiced views against a group of people while still having favorable interactions with someone in the group.

Right, but what everyone here has failed to even entertain is that maybe this person doesn't have inherent racist views. Country first = you're racist. believe in capitalism = you're racist ... Want to give back to community = all optics and selfish motives...

Did I get that right? You guys are something else.

I’m sure, but historically non-white nationalist groups have been violently repressed in the United States.

Thanks, RJ :rolleyes:

FTR, I don't disagree with your post. I just wanted RJ to admit that there is a portion of US citizens, who are nonwhite, and consider themselves Nationalists.

Right, but what everyone here has failed to even entertain is that maybe this person doesn't have inherent racist views. Country first = you're racist. believe in capitalism = you're racist ... Want to give back to community = all optics and selfish motives...

Did I get that right? You guys are something else.

At some point if you support a bunch of positions that disproportionally impact people of color your views are racist even if you don’t personally find them to be right? There’s not much dispute that favoring much stricter borders while also championing a low regulated form of capitalism has been a net positive to white people and a net negative for people of color is there?

At some point if you support a bunch of positions that disproportionally impact people of color your views are racist even if you don’t personally find them to be right? There’s not much dispute that favoring much stricter borders while also championing a low regulated form of capitalism has been a net positive to white people and a net negative for people of color is there?

Way to disregard my overall point that our policies aren't as black and white as everyone here likes to make them. There are many, many black people who consider themselves capitalist. Are you saying that they're racist?

Back