• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report on Cal State Fullerton Titans - 11 AM Friday Morning ESPN Networks

Actually DM said postgame that the zone was because we didn't stay in front of the mighty Titans.

From the bracket, looks like WF plays the winner of Monmouth/Valpo on Sunday morning at 10:30 am. Valpo is #147; Monmouth is #222.

As for the game and reading everyone's comments, just amazing how miserable this fanbase is.

Fullerton returned essentially everyone from a team that won 20 games last year and made the tournament. They were picked 2nd in the Big West in the pre-season poll: https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/10/18/17996536/big-west-preseason-power-rankings-uc-santa-barbara-leads-a-crowded-field-at-the-top-max-heidegger. They are a #100 to 200 team. Fullerton opened the season at Arizona State, who is predicted to be an NCAA Tourney team, and Fullerton lost in double OT. The line on today's game was WF -2.5. Everyone that predicted a result on this thread projected a loss but ATS (Kudos), yet WF won. When the game was close, everyone predicted an implosion that didn't happen.

WF won an ugly game against a mediocre team. Not great, but also not as atrocious as many here are trying to characterize it.

Chill out. If you can't enjoy winning hoops - and it has been a while since we were able to - you can at least relieve the agony with gallows humor.

My quick 2 cents:

* Wright Jr. is a player. He's the type of kid you absolutely need to have every two years. I think he is at minimum a 3 year player who should get better and stronger each year. He's clutch now.

* Hoard has a lot to learn. Reminds me of Aminu in a lot of ways. I hope we have a staff that can make him better over the course of the year. A little too early to judge, but I think he should really consider 2 years in college

* Sarr starting to work it out

* For Johnson to keep getting subbed in for defense, he sure can't stay in front of his man. And commits dumb fouls. He looks like he should be a good defender, so there is that.

* Last minute defensively is why I suspect Danny will never get it as a coach unless he finds a defensive guru to sit beside him loyally. The only way UCF gets back in that game is to shoot quick 3s. What do we do? Allow them to dribble essentially to the 3 point line before applying pressure. So lame. At least pick up at half court.

* Wish Sunday had a scholly.

* Team plays loose and seems to really like one another. Mucius had a bad game. For our offense to work, we have to have a post player who demands a double-team. Well, we have him in Hoard so don't dangle him around the 3 point line. Right now, he's a below average stretch 4, so don's play him as one.

I imagine a bunch of you will scoff, but I do like this collection of players. A lot. We have holes, we lack experience, but we are talented. We can be fun to watch.

I don't want to give much oxygen to the miserable fanbase contingent, but understand firing for cause happens after a narrative has been established. Each season gets a new narrative. You don't fire someone 3 games into a season because of last year's narrative - unless the narrative is that they strike or yell at players and have continued to do so. The decision was made to roll the dice with Manning (I think the right one, if not a good one), and the last thing any rational supporter should want is to dismiss a highly respected person in the basketball community at this stage. Prior to the ACC tourney is about as soon as any of you idiots should be shooting for. Otherwise, hello 6th offer next year. Nobody takes the job. So while I understand the frustration, many of you have zero context. Every year EVERY YEAR, those under Odom, those under Prosser, under Tacy, under Dino, we have miserable early season games that were ugly. We won most of those because we were far superior, but they happened. Because we won them, they were quickly forgotten. But just because yesterday's game sucked and this game most sucked, doesn't speak to much.

It's the me-want-now era, and it's Trumpian. Highly recommend you knock it off until this season's narrative develops. If for no other reason, it's healthier. You're wasting your time. And it screams of irrationality. There was certainly an argument to fire Manning after last season. Those desires fell on deaf ears then and most certainly do now. Have a nice turkey day, and a happy holidays, then a nice new year's. Settle back into work for six weeks. By then, the narrative will be well established.

Plus, again, you are trying to cut down the wrong tree first. You want new blood - the spot it is needed first is at AD. Without that change, nothing dynamic can happen in a coaching turnover.

From the bracket, looks like WF plays the winner of Monmouth/Valpo on Sunday morning at 10:30 am. Valpo is #147; Monmouth is #222.

As for the game and reading everyone's comments, just amazing how miserable this fanbase is.

Fullerton returned essentially everyone from a team that won 20 games last year and made the tournament. They were picked 2nd in the Big West in the pre-season poll: https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/10/18/17996536/big-west-preseason-power-rankings-uc-santa-barbara-leads-a-crowded-field-at-the-top-max-heidegger. They are a #100 to 200 team. Fullerton opened the season at Arizona State, who is predicted to be an NCAA Tourney team, and Fullerton lost in double OT. The line on today's game was WF -2.5. Everyone that predicted a result on this thread projected a loss but ATS (Kudos), yet WF won. When the game was close, everyone predicted an implosion that didn't happen.

WF won an ugly game against a mediocre team. Not great, but also not as atrocious as many here are trying to characterize it.

What is atrocious is year 5 of Manning and we have fans that look at wins like this as improvement. Manning is not the answer and apparently never was like several of us hoped.

CSF got waxed by a UCF team yesterday that din't make a postseason tournament last year and finished 22 spots behind Wake in KemPom last year. Don't lecture people about how happy we should be that we played down to their level and looked like we'd probably lose in the first half.

My quick 2 cents:

* Wright Jr. is a player. He's the type of kid you absolutely need to have every two years. I think he is at minimum a 3 year player who should get better and stronger each year. He's clutch now.

* Hoard has a lot to learn. Reminds me of Aminu in a lot of ways. I hope we have a staff that can make him better over the course of the year. A little too early to judge, but I think he should really consider 2 years in college

* Sarr starting to work it out

* For Johnson to keep getting subbed in for defense, he sure can't stay in front of his man. And commits dumb fouls. He looks like he should be a good defender, so there is that.

* Last minute defensively is why I suspect Danny will never get it as a coach unless he finds a defensive guru to sit beside him loyally. The only way UCF gets back in that game is to shoot quick 3s. What do we do? Allow them to dribble essentially to the 3 point line before applying pressure. So lame. At least pick up at half court.

* Wish Sunday had a scholly.

* Team plays loose and seems to really like one another. Mucius had a bad game. For our offense to work, we have to have a post player who demands a double-team. Well, we have him in Hoard so don't dangle him around the 3 point line. Right now, he's a below average stretch 4, so don's play him as one.

I imagine a bunch of you will scoff, but I do like this collection of players. A lot. We have holes, we lack experience, but we are talented. We can be fun to watch.

I don't want to give much oxygen to the miserable fanbase contingent, but understand firing for cause happens after a narrative has been established. Each season gets a new narrative. You don't fire someone 3 games into a season because of last year's narrative - unless the narrative is that they strike or yell at players and have continued to do so. The decision was made to roll the dice with Manning (I think the right one, if not a good one), and the last thing any rational supporter should want is to dismiss a highly respected person in the basketball community at this stage. Prior to the ACC tourney is about as soon as any of you idiots should be shooting for. Otherwise, hello 6th offer next year. Nobody takes the job. So while I understand the frustration, many of you have zero context. Every year EVERY YEAR, those under Odom, those under Prosser, under Tacy, under Dino, we have miserable early season games that were ugly. We won most of those because we were far superior, but they happened. Because we won them, they were quickly forgotten. But just because yesterday's game sucked and this game most sucked, doesn't speak to much.

It's the me-want-now era, and it's Trumpian. Highly recommend you knock it off until this season's narrative develops. If for no other reason, it's healthier. You're wasting your time. And it screams of irrationality. There was certainly an argument to fire Manning after last season. Those desires fell on deaf ears then and most certainly do now. Have a nice turkey day, and a happy holidays, then a nice new year's. Settle back into work for six weeks. By then, the narrative will be well established.

Plus, again, you are trying to cut down the wrong tree first. You want new blood - the spot it is needed first is at AD. Without that change, nothing dynamic can happen in a coaching turnover.

I agree with the bolded.

Today was a decent win. We lost to an NCAA team yesterday with a really bad 2nd half and LOL-bad defense. If this team doesn't get any better over the course of the season, then you'd have a strong Manning-out narrative. But this is a better collection of talent - top to bottom - than we had last year.

What is atrocious is year 5 of Manning and we have fans that look at wins like this as improvement. Manning is not the answer and apparently never was like several of us hoped.

That's the problem. It doesn't take one long to see we are a bad, poorly coached basketball team and we should be better in year 5 of the Manning era. I mean he took over for Bzzzkill, so it's not like he had a high bar to start from and somehow we may even be worse than when Bzzz left. God bless those of you that still have patience for this, but if you can't understand why most of us no longer have patience for it, than that's on you.

Today was a decent win. We lost to an NCAA team yesterday with a really bad 2nd half and LOL-bad defense. If this team doesn't get any better over the course of the season, then you'd have a strong Manning-out narrative. But this is a better collection of talent - top to bottom - than we had last year.

I hope you realize that just because a team made the NCAA tournament the prior year, doesn't make it a decent win. There should be in any year, 10 or more prior year NCAA teams, that we should beat easily even if they return every starter and their Wang.

jaybone, everyone agrees Wellman is the problem and we aren’t going to fire Manning right now. Stop using that as some holier than thou logic.

jaybone, everyone agrees Wellman is the problem and we aren’t going to fire Manning right now. Stop using that as some holier than thou logic.

I thought deaconbd had that phrase copyrighted?

I hope you realize that just because a team made the NCAA tournament the prior year, doesn't make it a decent win. There should be in any year, 10 or more prior year NCAA teams, that we should beat easily even if they return every starter and their Wang.

They'll be an NCAA Tourney this year. They're picked to finish 2nd in the A-10.

They'll be an NCAA Tourney this year. They're picked to finish 2nd in the A-10.

That's a lot of travel for Cal St. Fullerton playing in the Atlantic 10.

Some team from the Big South will be an NCAA team this year too, but that doesn't make them a good team.

CSF got waxed by a UCF team yesterday that din't make a postseason tournament last year and finished 22 spots behind Wake in KemPom last year. Don't lecture people about how happy we should be that we played down to their level and looked like we'd probably lose in the first half.

UCF had major injuries last year to Tako, Taylor, and Dawkins. That team never got going. All are healthy now. Beware of the Tako!

I do like the players we have in this group, though post depth is severely lacking. Want to see Hoard become more of an alpha over the course of the year and use his full range of skills. Wright and Mucius contribute quite a bit IMO though I expect them to be up and down quite a bit as freshman.

UCF had major injuries last year to Tako, Taylor, and Dawkins. That team never got going. All are healthy now. Beware of the Tako!

If only we could be as good as UCF in football or basketball . . .

That's the problem. It doesn't take one long to see we are a bad, poorly coached basketball team and we should be better in year 5 of the Manning era. I mean he took over for Bzzzkill, so it's not like he had a high bar to start from and somehow we may even be worse than when Bzzz left. God bless those of you that still have patience for this, but if you can't understand why most of us no longer have patience for it, than that's on you.

It's not about patience or looking for improvement that does not exist. WF is going to play at least 27 more basketball games through the beginning of March. For those that detest WF basketball in its current state, not sure why you watch. I will still follow the Deacs. Doesn't mean that I'm happy with the program. Doesn't mean that I want Manning to coach next year. That said, I'm not going to feel bad about being happy when WF wins some of those games or seeing both the negatives and the positives in the outcomes.

I get that people lose credibility when they claim things are wonderful (historically competitive) when they are not, but they also lose credibility when they say something is the worst thing ever when its not.

Back