• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report on Cal State Fullerton Titans - 11 AM Friday Morning ESPN Networks

It was a win. Ugly but a win. The players are happy their perseverance paid off. They were behind most of the game but outscored Fullerton 19-10 over the final 6:17 to secure the win. Despite my aggravation with Manning and Wellman, I'm pleased the players can celebrate. My pleasure does not extend to the coaching staff or the athletic director.

Last edited:
I was able to watch the last 15 minutes on my lunch break. We have better players and, apart from Brandon, our best players are really young. The point is that there is more potential; but there is a ton of work to be done and probably not enough time in which to do it. If they could just learn to stay in front of the player they are supposed to be guarding, they could be fun to watch...as opposed to utterly exasperating.

jaybone, everyone agrees Wellman is the problem and we aren’t going to fire Manning right now. Stop using that as some holier than thou logic.

The fire Manning thread I think probably refutes that, PH.

By everyone, I think you mean sensible people. By your definition of everyone, I can declare that everyone in Florida voted for the non-racist candidate for Governor.

By everyone, I think you mean sensible people. By your definition of everyone, I can declare that everyone in Florida voted for the non-racist candidate for Governor.

Manning deserves to be fired. No one honestly thinks he’s going to be fired before February at the earliest.

It's not about patience or looking for improvement that does not exist. WF is going to play at least 27 more basketball games through the beginning of March. For those that detest WF basketball in its current state, not sure why you watch. I will still follow the Deacs. Doesn't mean that I'm happy with the program. Doesn't mean that I want Manning to coach next year. That said, I'm not going to feel bad about being happy when WF wins some of those games or seeing both the negatives and the positives in the outcomes.

I get that people lose credibility when they claim things are wonderful (historically competitive) when they are not, but they also lose credibility when they say something is the worst thing ever when its not.

This is just a fallacious justification for your "better phan" admonishing of the disgruntled masses. Most of the time, the sporting teams you support will bring you more angst, frustration and even misery (if you let it) than joy and exhilaration. In fact, I'm often a disappointed and salty, hot-take fan of my Atlanta Falcons, yet I keep buying season tkts. Hell, I even went to games when Bobby freakin' Petrino was our coach but enjoyed cursing him in the stands with my fellow section's fans, well the ones that showed up. I didn't even throw in the towel after last year's epic disaster in the wake of *shudder* 28-3!! It's what fans do. Why must y'all lecture people here about their gallows humor and their expression of disgust? Especially when the writing is so obviously imprinted on the wall? Not to mention, this is where y'all wanted to "Discuss Wake Athletics FREELY" and look what you got? A toxic stew of caustic fans who like to have public forum dick measuring contests and engage in off-color to inappropriate humor at the expense of everyone, AD, coach and occasionally players (although there does seem to be a line there thank goodness). But why in the heck do y'all expect any different? Die hard Wake fans are like any other fan base

Had to watch this one delayed due to actual work from 11-12:30pm.

Yeah, that was ugly. Decent win. If we can beat Valpo/Monmouth, that'd be a 2-1 result, which was probably best case given this field. I think Racer said it the other day... The easiest path to 2-1 here was to drop the first game.

Good to see Smart out there... He didn't contribute much to the box score, but I thought he added toughness underneath that we don't otherwise have. He should be good for 10-15 mpg and a 5 fouls. That's fine.

I like Wright Jr, a lot... his size and ability to handle the ball are very helpful. Shoots it well enough.

Love Mucius, but this was not his day. If his shot isn't falling (and it wasn't), he needs to contribute in other ways... I guess he had 5 boards, but he seemed largely invisible.

Johnson is just OK. Doesn't add a whole lot, but doesn't take anything away, either.

Sarr & Brown have been disappointments so far. I like Sarr best when he protects the rim, rebounds, and runs the floor. Don't need or want the offense to ever really flow through him. Brown still disappears WAY too often... Needs to be more aggressive in driving to the hoop (like Wright did a few times).

But this team's success will largely depend on Childress... He was up and down this game. When he's bad, our offense is horrible. He also still forces his way to the hoop too often with no real plan... He's way too short (and below the rim) to finish those drives consistently.

I hope Manning realizes that it needs to be Childress, Wright, Brown, Hoard, & Sarr... With Mucius subbing in as instant offense and Johnson/Smart coming in to give guys a rest. I mean, that's basically what we did today... Just seemed like our offensive execution was abysmal. Defense, I guess, was better... Helped that they missed a ton of open 3s.

Stop injecting political discourse into this. Keeping Manning till he somehow figures it out is far from sensible. Stooge.

It's not about patience or looking for improvement that does not exist. WF is going to play at least 27 more basketball games through the beginning of March. For those that detest WF basketball in its current state, not sure why you watch. I will still follow the Deacs. Doesn't mean that I'm happy with the program. Doesn't mean that I want Manning to coach next year. That said, I'm not going to feel bad about being happy when WF wins some of those games or seeing both the negatives and the positives in the outcomes.

I get that people lose credibility when they claim things are wonderful (historically competitive) when they are not, but they also lose credibility when they say something is the worst thing ever when its not.

Good post. Attempting to enjoy your alma mater doesn’t mean you approve the status quo. It just means you aren’t wallowing in misery. It’s pretty clear that outside an unexpected result to the year that Manning deserves to be let go, but nothing I can do to impact that. Might as well find some joy wherever I can. If I can’t find any joy in watching I won’t watch. I certainly wouldn’t willingly torture myself and then multiply my misery by attempting to convince everyone else to be miserable too.

This is just a fallacious justification for your "better phan" admonishing of the disgruntled masses.

Hey.

Not my fault you miserable shitheads love stewing in your own despondency. Just because y'all feverishly fluff each other into what purports to be a consensus about the fanbase doesn't mean it's true.

Enjoy the win. Don't miss soccer on Sunday.

^^^^^^

Doesn't take much convincing around here to be miserable. Heh heh

Plenty of ennui and hand-wringing here on the hard scrabble streets of the cyber campus.

Hey.

Not my fault you miserable shitheads love stewing in your own despondency. Just because y'all feverishly fluff each other into what purports to be a consensus about the fanbase doesn't mean it's true.

Enjoy the win. Don't miss soccer on Sunday.

Watching Wake BB isn't much fun so might as well find our fun in other ways. If it's driving people like you to scold us on a message board, mission accomplished?

Brown's biggest problem is Childress, who rarely looks for him and dribbles way too much.

But this team's success will largely depend on Childress... He was up and down this game. When he's bad, our offense is horrible. He also still forces his way to the hoop too often with no real plan... He's way too short (and below the rim) to finish those drives consistently.

That has been my biggest worry about this season (or at least one of them). As a guy off the bench the past two seasons, it seemed that Childress was either really, really good or just horrible. Not much just consistently good/solid. There were times where it looked like he had never played the game before, and then periods where he would score 11 points in just a couple of minutes. Perhaps some of that was a function of trying to provide a spark off of the bench. As the primary PG, hopefully he can learn to eliminate the terrible play, even if it means less of the bursts of brilliance. I just don't get the sense that he is that classic floor general type - more of a 2G forced to play PG because of his size. Maybe Wright can play some PG and allow Brandon to play some 2G at times? Or maybe if Wright and Brown show they can consistently score (big if), then Brandon will feel less of a need to force it himself? I guess we'll see. My sense is our offense will be Jekyll and Hyde this whole season.

Doesn't sound like ennui to me.

Huh? Pretty much a perfect description of a Wake Forest BB fan...have you been to the tomb-like Joel for a game recently?

Ennui, adj. - a feeling of listlessness and dissatisfaction arising from a lack of occupation or excitement.

And of course, some rail against message board decorum police as an outlet to break from the mundane and feeling of apathy and tedium.

the sad realization - if wake pulls this out there will be those that say "see, it's all coming together."
this was/is atrocious basketball

Good call. It wasn't unexpected, but it's nice that we have posters who can ground us simpletons and remind us that barely edging out a team ranked in the 150's, and only because our 5-star player finally realized he was better than everyone on the court, is a great thing. There's nothing to be upset or discouraged about. Surely not the fact that in Y5 we are making the same mistakes as in Y1, with similar results. Surely not the fact that Manning was incapable of putting together an offense that would get Hoard the ball. This is a great day. I, for one, am going to enjoy this great success! Given what I saw today, I suspect Duke and K are starting to get worried...that they won't beat us by 50.

Good call. It wasn't unexpected, but it's nice that we have posters who can ground us simpletons and remind us that barely edging out a team ranked in the 150's, and only because our 5-star player finally realized he was better than everyone on the court, is a great thing. There's nothing to be upset or discouraged about. Surely not the fact that in Y5 we are making the same mistakes as in Y1, with similar results. Surely not the fact that Manning was incapable of putting together an offense that would get Hoard the ball. This is a great day. I, for one, am going to enjoy this great success! Given what I saw today, I suspect Duke and K are starting to get worried...that they won't beat us by 50.

Jesus Christ you are fucking miserable.

Back