• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report on Cal State Fullerton Titans - 11 AM Friday Morning ESPN Networks

CSF got waxed by a UCF team yesterday that din't make a postseason tournament last year and finished 22 spots behind Wake in KemPom last year. Don't lecture people about how happy we should be that we played down to their level and looked like we'd probably lose in the first half.

You have a point. But in regards to UCF, they lost their two best players in early January last year. So that’s why they had a rough year.

Sorry some people have been crushed and beaten down only to emerge from the ashes as fans that take pleasure in how much shittier can we be type aspect. The fire Manning thread reminded me that the most enjoyment I have gotten out of the last decade of basketball has been the putting up of billboards, DV7’s winter is coming buildup and let down, the rolling of the quad when Bz was fired, the small timeframe with the seedling of hope that a coaching search brought, and being proven right as the shills slowly try to walk back their way too long documented support of dumpster fires.

Good call. It wasn't unexpected, but it's nice that we have posters who can ground us simpletons and remind us that barely edging out a team ranked in the 150's, and only because our 5-star player finally realized he was better than everyone on the court, is a great thing. There's nothing to be upset or discouraged about. Surely not the fact that in Y5 we are making the same mistakes as in Y1, with similar results. Surely not the fact that Manning was incapable of putting together an offense that would get Hoard the ball. This is a great day. I, for one, am going to enjoy this great success! Given what I saw today, I suspect Duke and K are starting to get worried...that they won't beat us by 50.

Who are you even talking about?

There is nobody here touting success.

We won a game we should have won. That’s better than losing. I don’t think anyone has even posted that they think we played well.

The fire Manning thread I think probably refutes that, PH.

By everyone, I think you mean sensible people. By your definition of everyone, I can declare that everyone in Florida voted for the non-racist candidate for Governor.

Keep your ignorant takes to sports. I am sure the tunnels would be happy to have your racist comments included in with all the others there.

Being forced to play zone in this game could be a good thing. This team could be a good zone team with it's length. I don't know if we have the patience to play it, if the coaches can coach it, or if we can rebound out of a zone. I would prefer to be good man to man team, but something is not right with man defensive scheme. I like defenses that slow down player movement and limit the ability of cutters to move. I know "freedom of movement" is point of emphasis for officials, but good man defensive teams manage to clog up the works for offenses. UVA and Duke both effectively manage to limit offensive movement. They have different approaches, but the end result is similar. We try to do a lot of ball denial like Duke, but we are not physical or intense enough across the board to make it work.

UCF beat St. Joe’s 77-57.

Can’t say I saw that coming.

Charlie Brown and Taylor Funk both played well (again), but the rest of St. Joe’s shit the bed.

Charlie Brown and Taylor Funk both played well (again), but the rest of St. Joe’s shit the bed.

Probably were unable to run their offense due to the unexpected presence of opponents in their close vicinity.

Huh? Pretty much a perfect description of a Wake Forest BB fan...have you been to the tomb-like Joel for a game recently?

Ennui, adj. - a feeling of listlessness and dissatisfaction arising from a lack of occupation or excitement.

And of course, some rail against message board decorum police as an outlet to break from the mundane and feeling of apathy and tedium.

Yes, my post was responding specifically to yours about how les miserables on this board seem plenty occupied "finding...fun in other ways" -- specifically, "railing against the message board decorum police".

The bigger point is that some people seem to take pleasure in this misery, wishing for the Deacs to fail to get the guy canned. Not my style, that's all.

Wow. That's college hoop. UCF lost Florida Atlantic in their last game before the tournament. FAU is one of the worst teams in the country.

When you're pretty deep in the tenure of the second coach in a row who is putting together an all-time bad ACC record, you can't really expect fans to be patient and understanding. We are deep in a lost decade.

So my top takeaway from these two games is that in each one we did something, pretty much across the board team-wise, that was simply infuriating to watch over and over again. Once noticed, it stood

Today that thing was screening on offense. It didn't matter who was setting the screen - they all looked the same. Player goes out to set a screen, doesn't really get it set correctly, and even if they had it wouldn't matter because the offensive player never came close to properly setting up his man to get screened or simply dribbled away aimlessly too early. Every time it happens the offense makes zero progress, after it happens twice the shot clock is about toast. Infuriating. My high school team was better at it.

Yesterday it was closing out on shooters. We actually had a number of well-timed closeouts, only to have our defender either stop 2 feet short of an actual close out or get there but then do a half-assed challenge with one hand that didn't actually contest the shot. Infuriating.

Are people really defending Fullerton as a NCAA tournament team from last year without also mentioning that they were a fucking 15 seed who lost by 26 in the first round?

That context is a bit important, right?

I would love nothing more than for the lights to come on with this coach and team, exceed all expectations and for Danny to show himself to be a good coach. Heck, it is that slight slimmer of hope that makes me continue to watch, so don’t mistake my snide posts and jokes to mean I don’t care. In fact I still care a lot and long for the days of being proud and excited about Wake Forest basketball. It’s just year after year we see the same crap, the lack of coaching and a product that should be beneath our standards. So far this season nobody can possibly think it will be any different, so if having some fun and making some jokes on a message board is how some of us want to get through it, then we have that right. Yes we know Danny won’t get fired during the season, we know until Wellman is gone you are just cutting off the tail of snake and not the head. Also, doesn’t mean we have to be part of the sunshine brigade and smile through it.

Are people really defending Fullerton as a NCAA tournament team from last year without also mentioning that they were a fucking 15 seed who lost by 26 in the first round?

That context is a bit important, right?

But, but they were an NCAA tournament team with all their starters back and somehow Danny pulled us through:dancindeac:

Wow. That's college hoop. UCF lost Florida Atlantic in their last game before the tournament. FAU is one of the worst teams in the country.

Maybe all those teams suck.

Maybe all those teams suck.

Possible, but UCF KP is now up to 53 in spite of losing to #276 FAU.

More likely that UCF is good, St. Joe’s is OK, Fullerton sucks, and we are somewhere in between St. Joe’s and Fullerton.

But I guess suck is a relative term.

I’d argue the field for this tourney is mediocre, but not shitty. WVU is probably very good... We’ll know more about UCF based upon how that game goes, but they’ve been impressive the first 2 games.

Sorry some people have been crushed and beaten down only to emerge from the ashes as fans that take pleasure in how much shittier can we be type aspect. The fire Manning thread reminded me that the most enjoyment I have gotten out of the last decade of basketball has been the putting up of billboards, DV7’s winter is coming buildup and let down, the rolling of the quad when Bz was fired, the small timeframe with the seedling of hope that a coaching search brought, and being proven right as the shills slowly try to walk back their way too long documented support of dumpster fires.
You forgot Margaret Johnsons interview of [Redacted]. Definitely a bright spot.

Looking at that list, I've gotta go with rolling the quad after firing [Redacted] as the single greatest basketball moment in the last decade. It contrasted so nicely with Ron's press conference where he painfully announced the firing.

As for manning. Who gives a shit? We suck. Nothing is going to happen. It's way easier when you give up the ghost. I want to care again, but that's another 5 years away at least. Enjoy Clawson while we have him!

St Joes didn't shit the bed. Being there and watching the game live, St Joes had UCF up in their grill and could not get off the easy long jumpers like they did against us so they had to force a bunch and they did not go. Then when they tried to take it to the rack they had 7'6" Tacko Fall back there to either block the shot or alter the shot. They also had another 6'11" guy in there with Fall and they play helpside defense. St Joes was playing a much different ball club today than they were yesterday in terms of experience & defense.

Back