• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report on Cal State Fullerton Titans - 11 AM Friday Morning ESPN Networks

You forgot Margaret Johnsons interview of [Redacted]. Definitely a bright spot.

Looking at that list, I've gotta go with rolling the quad after firing [Redacted] as the single greatest basketball moment in the last decade. It contrasted so nicely with Ron's press conference where he painfully announced the firing.

As for manning. Who gives a shit? We suck. Nothing is going to happen. It's way easier when you give up the ghost. I want to care again, but that's another 5 years away at least. Enjoy Clawson while we have him!

I loved watching Margaret Johnson kick redacted in the ass.

If she could only interview scumbag Elrod.

Couple thoughts:
1. Brown needs to start taking it to the rim. Had wide open lane and content to jack 3’s. Waste of his body, finishing ability and ft skills. Disappointed he just hangs out at 3pt line.
2. Wright is way better than I expected.
3. Hoard is a tough matchup and stresses defenses—need to be more focused on running offense through him. My guess is they may not want to put too much on him too soon but unless Brown has an epiphany there is no other great option.

Couple thoughts:
1. Brown needs to start taking it to the rim. Had wide open lane and content to jack 3’s. Waste of his body, finishing ability and ft skills. Disappointed he just hangs out at 3pt line.
3. Hoard is a tough matchup and stresses defenses—need to be more focused on running offense through him. My guess is they may not want to put too much on him too soon but unless Brown has an epiphany there is no other great option.

I agree that Brown needs to drive more, but he was 2-5 on threes today. That’s 40% and very good.

Couple thoughts:

JR is gonna be good

St Joes didn't shit the bed. Being there and watching the game live, St Joes had UCF up in their grill and could not get off the easy long jumpers like they did against us so they had to force a bunch and they did not go. Then when they tried to take it to the rack they had 7'6" Tacko Fall back there to either block the shot or alter the shot. They also had another 6'11" guy in there with Fall and they play helpside defense. St Joes was playing a much different ball club today than they were yesterday in terms of experience & defense.

I wasn’t there, but I watched the game.

Brown and Funk were 16-28 (8-13 from 3). The rest of the team was 5-23 (1-12 from 3).

Not taking anything away from UCF... They looked very good and played defense.

My point was that Brown and Funk got theirs, but the rest of the team provided zero help.

That’s shitting the bed to me.

Sarr has made one 2-point shot and has 3 defensive rebounds in this tournament so far.

In our first pre-season tourney loss last year against Drake, Doral had 7 buckets and 12 boards.

Manning's patched together enough talent at guard to make up for Craw and Woods, but Doral's exit destroyed any chance this team had of being good this year. That will really be the story of Manning after he's fired when this season closes out. He significantly upgraded the talent getting into the program so we at least had a chance, unlike with [Redacted]. But it doesn't make much difference if you can't convince anyone to stay long enough to produce results on the court.

You can't continue to have dumpster fire years and build a program. Manning's teams have continually shown to be less than the sum of their parts.

I agree that Brown needs to drive more, but he was 2-5 on threes today. That’s 40% and very good.

That is the hard part---shooting the 3 for him isn't necessarily a bad shot. I just think if that is all he does he is going to average 8-10 points and have games where is he a nonfactor since its predicated upon others setting up the shot. That was fine for someone like Wilbeken last year who couldn't do anything but shoot. But, good things will happen when he takes it to the rim. He could easily manufacture points off FT line. This is an example of guard development/coaching that doesn't seem evident. Hoard, Wright, and Brown should be relentless taking it to rim and forcing refs to call a foul one way or the other. The former 2 seems willing so far but Brown not so much....

Sarr has made one 2-point shot and has 3 defensive rebounds in this tournament so far.

In our first pre-season tourney loss last year against Drake, Doral had 7 buckets and 12 boards.

Manning's patched together enough talent at guard to make up for Craw and Woods, but Doral's exit destroyed any chance this team had of being good this year. That will really be the story of Manning after he's fired when this season closes out. He significantly upgraded the talent getting into the program so we at least had a chance, unlike with [Redacted]. But it doesn't make much difference if you can't convince anyone to stay long enough to produce results on the court.

Think we miss Crawford much? He got the ball into the post and gave Doral space. Brandon has not done that at all. If you watch the game, you can see that Brandon has no concept of spacing. The rare time he gives the ball to Sarr, Brandon is close enough to the center as to allow his man to keep Sarr from driving. Add to this, as opposed to Craw, Brandon does not get the team into our offense quickly enough to open space for our bigs.

Think we miss Crawford much? He got the ball into the post and gave Doral space. Brandon has not done that at all. If you watch the game, you can see that Brandon has no concept of spacing. The rare time he gives the ball to Sarr, Brandon is close enough to the center as to allow his man to keep Sarr from driving. Add to this, as opposed to Craw, Brandon does not get the team into our offense quickly enough to open space for our bigs.

Not really. You can't compare Crawford/Doral to Brandon/Sarr. Sarr has zero game with his back to the basket. Last year in the ACC Craw average 6 assists and 3.7 turns per 40. Chill averaged 5.5 assists and only 2.9 turns. Factor in that Chill played more minutes without Doral and it's basically a wash. Crawford was plenty selfish and played horrible defense - Childress is tiny and still outrebounded Crawford per 40.

Brandon is fine. So far he's putting up 15/5/4 - a point or so behind Crawford but with fewer turnovers - better in every other category. So no, we don't miss Crawford at all as his productivity has essentially been completely replaced so far.

We miss the guy who was putting up double-doubles every game that got replaced by a center that doesn't have a dunk yet this year.

If Sarr got space, he would be much better. You can't do anything in the post if you have no space and are effectively doubled every time you touch the ball.

You didn't factor in Chill playing against the bench last year versus playing against starters this year.

If Sarr got space, he would be much better. You can't do anything in the post if you have no space and are effectively doubled every time you touch the ball.

You didn't factor in Chill playing against the bench last year versus playing against starters this year.

Sarr can't get space for the same reason that he can't get defensive rebounds a 7 footer should. He gets moved by lesser players. He routinely gets take completely out of the lane. Even the St. Joe's guards were killing him on the boards.

Not sure what playing against bench players last year has to do with your argument for Chill. First, he's starting this year so comparisons against Craw are all valid. Second, if Doral's on the bench it doesn't help Chill passing the ball inside to be playing against bench guys. We had no talent inside other than Doral last year.

Think what you want, it just seems like an opinion that's hunting for a justification. It's not rocket science - we were atrocious last year because we had a complete vacuum at the 4 and couldn't defend. We're going to be slightly less atrocious this year because of Hoard and Mucius, but we have a complete vacuum at the 5 and we still can't defend.

Less than 12 hours to tip... Where is Pilchard with the new thread?

Amateur hour around here.

That is the hard part---shooting the 3 for him isn't necessarily a bad shot. I just think if that is all he does he is going to average 8-10 points and have games where is he a nonfactor since its predicated upon others setting up the shot. That was fine for someone like Wilbeken last year who couldn't do anything but shoot. But, good things will happen when he takes it to the rim. He could easily manufacture points off FT line. This is an example of guard development/coaching that doesn't seem evident. Hoard, Wright, and Brown should be relentless taking it to rim and forcing refs to call a foul one way or the other. The former 2 seems willing so far but Brown not so much....

Brown just doesn’t have that type of game. Junior and Hoard do, but Brown doesn’t. Brown is a bit slow and not very explosive, so he struggles to finish. Brown has an interesting build, he’s strong and has really big feet, but he’s not that athletic. On offense, I think he should focus on 3s, midrange jumpers, and offensive rebounds.

Back