• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fire Danny Manning Campaign

Wellman is the only AD we've had in the modern FBS era. Who knows what others could do given the opportunities that his predecessors didn't have.

This is correct. But it also doesn't change the fact that in 26 years under Wellman we have 19 NCAA championships (in 7 different sports). The next best is 6 NCAA championships in 28 years under Hooks (all in golf).

This is correct. But it also doesn't change the fact that in 26 years under Wellman we have 19 NCAA championships (in 7 different sports). The next best is 6 NCAA championships in 28 years under Hooks (all in golf).

Well when you put it that way, let's keep Wellman around another 15 years!

Unfortunately, miserable AD shills like RC have already alerted Wellman and his cronies to your plan, so they'll be ready for it, dig their feet in, and it won't work. Such is life under ze fuhrer.

FWIW I think all of the coaches in Wake Forest's other sports are good. I don't think a Fire Wellman campaign would work regardless of how well funded and run it is. I'm fine with Ron staying as long as he doesn't hire Danny's replacement. It should be a decision he has a voice in, but not the final decision, so really he won't be an important decision maker. Ideally all alumni should be made aware of the potential candidates and have a little time to voice for a favorite.

Edit: Since Jaybone didn't understand what I meant by this. It simply means that when a list of potential candidates is made, it should be reported publicly. Not that all alumni literally get to have a say, but that it is able to be discussed publicly instead of some behind closed doors botch job like name redacted's hiring was. It would minimize the chance of a complete dud hire if everyone is aware a dud candidate on the final list.

Last edited:
FWIW I think all of the coaches in Wake Forest's other sports are good. I don't think a Fire Wellman campaign would work regardless of how well funded and run it is. I'm fine with Ron staying as long as he doesn't hire Danny's replacement. It should be a decision he has a voice in, but not the final decision, so really he won't be an important decision maker. Ideally all alumni should be made aware of the potential candidates and have a little time to voice for a favorite.

I agree with this except for the last part. It just doesn't work that way. Plus, if the fans were in charge we would have hired Pete Lembo and John Pelphrey.

Disagree. If Welllman sticks around, even if he is not involved in the basketball hire, and it turns out to be a great one, he'll get the credit. That is what he wants. He needs to be shown the door with Manning.

Disagree. If Welllman sticks around, even if he is not involved in the basketball hire, and it turns out to be a great one, he'll get the credit. That is what he wants. He needs to be shown the door with Manning.

Who cares? Wake would have a great basketball coach - that's all I would care about.

I agree with this except for the last part. It just doesn't work that way. Plus, if the fans were in charge we would have hired Pete Lembo and John Pelphrey.

Yup, don't want the fans literally in charge, but don't make the entire process private and hire someone who was 36-58 at their last job.

I should add that the fans also would not have gone for John Beilein, because he was too boring.

Who cares? Wake would have a great basketball coach - that's all I would care about.

Why can't he just be fired with Manning? What is the point of keeping him around. He is past his prime.

Hence, why I suggest the private email campaign first. .

Private e/m campaign? Autonomous, anon bots?? Why? Wasn't the billboard effective because it brought shame and embarrassment on the AD?

But I agree, it's probably time to direct frustration at Wellman. But a billboard to fire an AD when the soccer, tennis and field hockey teams are competing yearly for championships would probably ring hollow. We know how much he screwed up the BB program. But it doesn't change the fact that Manning is NOT thee MAN.

Private e/m campaign? Autonomous, anon bots?? Why? Wasn't the billboard effective because it brought shame and embarrassment on the AD?

But I agree, it's probably time to direct frustration at Wellman. But a billboard to fire an AD when the soccer, tennis and field hockey teams are competing yearly for championships would probably ring hollow. We know how much he screwed up the BB program. But it doesn't change the fact that Manning is NOT thee MAN.

Exactly. Wellman has too many things going well in other programs to call for his head right now. It would be nice if something is done before it comes to public ridicule. Wellman can make himself look good if he cans Danny on Monday, even if we have a 3-1 record at that point, publicly stating it didn't look like the team was meeting expectations. Would give him some credibility with the fanbase to publicly state that losing to St. Joe's and barely getting past a #150 team does not meet the expectations for an ACC basketball program, especially when coupled with last year's performance, the massive defections since Danny got here, and the overall record that nearly mimics Bzzzaster, who was fired for underperforming.

Only Rafi could attempt to blame fans and not wellman for the shit that is our basketball program, if you antagonize wellman he’s just going to dig in harder and refuse to do what’s right it’s not his fault it’s the fans fault! If he wasn’t a shill I’d almost feel bad for him as it’s like being in an abusive relationship, “wellman doesn’t hit me because he wants to, he hits me because it’s my fault I’m not a good wife” Rafi.

That's what the last campaign was. #FireWellman and fireronwellman.com were both on the billboard. It didn't work last time. The problem with that approach, in my opinion, is that Wellman is clearly the most successful AD we have ever had, and it's not even close. He has screwed up basketball, but many other aspects of the AD are going really well.

I will say, that if you wanted to start a campaign, the way to do so would be privately, not publicly. Emails, letters, raise money that will be donated once change occurs, etc. I think that would be much more effective and wouldn't reflect poorly on the school.

[Added] Netflix, we made our posts at the same time. As you can tell, I agree regarding the private campaign.

Our two major revenue programs have one winning ACC season between them this decade. Shiny objects and good non-revenue sports are nice but don’t mean shit if you can’t deliver in those two sports.

Exactly. Wellman has too many things going well in other programs to call for his head right now. It would be nice if something is done before it comes to public ridicule. Wellman can make himself look good if he cans Danny on Monday, even if we have a 3-1 record at that point, publicly stating it didn't look like the team was meeting expectations. Would give him some credibility with the fanbase to publicly state that losing to St. Joe's and barely getting past a #150 team does not meet the expectations for an ACC basketball program, especially when coupled with last year's performance, the massive defections since Danny got here, and the overall record that nearly mimics Bzzzaster, who was fired for underperforming.

A perfectly fine take for those who are fine having a phenomenal soccer program, a mediocre football program, and a shit basketball program.

Last edited:
Exactly. Wellman has too many things going well in other programs to call for his head right now. It would be nice if something is done before it comes to public ridicule.

Maybe we can get young Conor to do our bidding in the form of some heady constructive criticism and some actual hard-hitting questions from time to time?

It certainly is a unique situation as Wake does seem to comport itself different from the average ordinary athletic program. We keep the circled wagons very tight together and the Admin is always keen to keep bad press to a minimum by controlling its messaging. So it all comes down to leadership and right now, as we know, it's like the hoping against hope that Wellman will bring some accountability!

Only Rafi could attempt to blame fans and not wellman for the shit that is our basketball program, if you antagonize wellman he’s just going to dig in harder and refuse to do what’s right it’s not his fault it’s the fans fault! If he wasn’t a shill I’d almost feel bad for him as it’s like being in an abusive relationship, “wellman doesn’t hit me because he wants to, he hits me because it’s my fault I’m not a good wife” Rafi.

What are you talking about? You need to work on your reading comprehension. To be clear, I 100% blame our bball situation on Wellman. I just want a great bball coach and I think another public "fire X" campaign will hinder our ability to hire a great coach.

What are you talking about? You need to work on your reading comprehension. To be clear, I 100% blame our bball situation on Wellman. I just want a great bball coach and I think another public "fire X" campaign will hinder our ability to hire a great coach.

This post manages to be both LOWF and vastly overestimate how much the WF fanbase has an impact. On anything. At all. Ever.

This post manages to be both LOWF and vastly overestimate how much the WF fanbase has an impact. On anything. At all. Ever.

Really? How? I'm the opposite of LOWF - I think we can win championships in all sports in which we compete, including sports in which we do not have much historical success (football, women's bball, volleyball, etc). It just takes good coaching.

Back