• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fire Danny Manning Campaign

There is a greater than zero percent chance that Manning gets fired before the end of the year.

It’s low. Probably very low. But not zero.
The only way he gets fired midseason is a huge scandal in which he is proven to be the ring leader. Other than that, we are stuck with him for the full year.

The only way he gets fired midseason is a huge scandal in which he is proven to be the ring leader. Other than that, we are stuck with him for the full year.

Somebody else already alluded to it, but Manning is like +750 as the first NCAA coach to be fired this season. That’s good for like 5th or 6th on the list (“Field” is obviously the favorite).

But yeah, I agree that it’s unlikely.

I don’t think you are one of them Ph, but it seems like a lot of people on here don’t think Wellman should lose his job. I’d love to hear the reason why Wellman should stay at Wake a day longer than Manning.

The argument for keeping Wellman goes like this:
1. He is the most accomplished AD in the history of Wake Forest, and it’s not even close.
2. He has overseen the most successful run in the history of Wake football, and football is currently the most important NCAA sport.
3. He was a key player in keeping the ACC together, which kept Wake in a P5 conference.

The argument for firing Wellman goes like this:
1. He screwed up the basketball program, in a major way.
2. Because of how he fired Dino, he has a bad rep in the NCAA basketball coaching community, which makes it challenging for Wake to attract a top coach.

IMO, both of these arguments are reasonable.

What I think will happen is what several others have suggested. Manning will be let go after another lackluster season and then a committee will lead the hiring of a new basketball coach, with Wellman having much less influence than he did over the previous several b-ball hirings.

1. He is the most accomplished AD in the history of Wake Forest, and it’s not even close.
2. He has overseen the most successful run in the history of Wake football, and football is currently the most important NCAA sport.
3. He was a key player in keeping the ACC together, which kept Wake in a P5 conference.

2. Because of how he fired Dino, he has a bad rep in the NCAA basketball coaching community, which makes it challenging for Wake to attract a top coach.

What I think will happen is what several others have suggested. Manning will be let go after another lackluster season and then a committee will lead the hiring of a new basketball coach, with Wellman having much less influence than he did over the previous several b-ball hirings.

On the bright side, unemployment is at record lows. You'll land on your feet elsewhere.

On the bright side, unemployment is at record lows. You'll land on your feet elsewhere.

Good job focusing on the content of my post.

You are so slow on the uptake. Everyone else figured out years ago that I have nothing to do with the athletic department. I guess you have been too focused on the Ponzi scheme known as High Point U.

Good job focusing on the content of my post.

You are so slow on the uptake. Everyone else figured out years ago that I have nothing to do with the athletic department. I guess you have been too focused on the Ponzi scheme known as High Point U.

High Point University?!? What a fucking nutcase.

Oh, and I'll be more than happy to focus on the content of your post. It's absolute bullshit.

Last edited:
Here's one of your posts about High Point U, "I'm heavily involved with HPU as a parent and have served on several boards at the school. I'm not going to spend the rest of the evening discussing how funds are/were raised through private donations." It's from this thread https://www.ogboards.com/forums/sho...ketball/page2?highlight=high+point+basketball

Okay, dumbass. One of my kids went to HPU. Graduated and is doing well in the world. Everyone NOW KNOWS!!! I have no fucking idea how that has ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS THREAD which is titled "Fire Danny Manning".

Jesus, do you feed yourself?

How does the dudes cock taste?

I'll grant you number three and I'll concede that RW gets some credit for the significant upgrade in facilities.

Number one is mostly a function of the length of his tenure, and anyway it's not clear how you measure "accomplished" (I'm familiar with your oft-cited stat about # of nat'l titles won since he's been here).

On number two, he had a pretty low bar to clear. And he did preside over the Caldwell years.

I seriously doubt the decision about a new bball coach will be taken out of RW's hands. More than once in the past he's prided himself on being the sole-decision maker when it comes to hiring new head coaches. I expect he will be "encouraged" by some influential deep pockets to make a change in the spring, then will retire soon after he lines up a replacement. I expected him to retire before a judgment had to be made about Manning, but for very obvious reasons there's no incentive for him to leave.

Also, a lot more items could be added to your second list.

Okay, dumbass. One of my kids went to HPU. Graduated and is doing well in the world. Everyone NOW KNOWS!!! I have no fucking idea how that has ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS THREAD which is titled "Fire Danny Manning".

Jesus, do you feed yourself?

lol at you

wellman fluffer isn’t an official title

They did? I sure as hell don't believe that.

C'mon LK. We went to school at the same time. Aren't you a mod? You should be able to look at my email address and know exactly who I am.

I'll grant you number three and I'll concede that RW gets some credit for the significant upgrade in facilities.

Number one is mostly a function of the length of his tenure, and anyway it's not clear how you measure "accomplished" (I'm familiar with your oft-cited stat about # of nat'l titles won since he's been here).

Thanks for the civil post.

Wake has only had 4 ADs in the history of the school - Hooks for 28 years (6 championships), Wellman for 26 (19 championships), Weaver for 17 (2 championships - both Palmer's debated national championships), and Gibson for 10 (1 championship - baseball). I like championships, which is why I would advocate for that stat (plus they're easy data to find). If there is another readily available stat I would be interested to see it.

I mean we can just throw out Wellman is old as shit, which as a trickle down effect has the AD severely lacking in what makes those departments successful in the 21st century. Time for some new blood instead of someone that probably types with one finger.

Back