• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fire Danny Manning Campaign

The argument for keeping Wellman goes like this:
1. He is the most accomplished AD in the history of Wake Forest, and it’s not even close.
2. He has overseen the most successful run in the history of Wake football, and football is currently the most important NCAA sport.
3. He was a key player in keeping the ACC together, which kept Wake in a P5 conference.

The argument for firing Wellman goes like this:
1. He screwed up the basketball program, in a major way.
2. Because of how he fired Dino, he has a bad rep in the NCAA basketball coaching community, which makes it challenging for Wake to attract a top coach.

I think its simpler:

Argument for Keeping Wellmean - Everything but basketball
Argument for firing Wellman - Basketball

I think its simpler:

Argument for firing Wellman: He is a prick whose arrogance has chased donors to the sidelines, emptied the stands, and cost a decade of students any reason to be connected to the basketball program - which will continue to cost Wake Forest in alumni engagement for years to come.

Actually, the first four words is reason enough: He is a prick.

I think its simpler:

I’m not sure football goes in the “argument for keeping Wellman” column. Exceeding LOWF standards in football isn’t nothing, but it’s not a whole lot more than nothing.

A loss at Wallace Wade on Saturday would bring Clawson’s ACC regular season winning percentage below Manning’s.

I’m not sure football goes in the “argument for keeping Wellman” column. Exceeding LOWF standards in football isn’t nothing, but it’s not a whole lot more than nothing.

A loss at Wallace Wade on Saturday would bring Clawson’s ACC regular season winning percentage below Manning’s.

Not an incredibly fair comparison to equate football and basketball ACC winning percentage. I'm sure you wouldn't say that we should fire Clawson if those two % were identifcal at the end of the season. It's a lot harder for Wake to be good at football and the Clawon hire has been outstanding. I equate Bowl games to NCAA tournament appearances (if you're forcing me to compare the two) and Clawson has exceeded expectations.

Not an incredibly fair comparison to equate football and basketball ACC winning percentage. I'm sure you wouldn't say that we should fire Clawson if those two % were identifcal at the end of the season. It's a lot harder for Wake to be good at football and the Clawon hire has been outstanding. I equate Bowl games to NCAA tournament appearances (if you're forcing me to compare the two) and Clawson has exceeded expectations.

he's trying to bait you

walk away

I think its simpler:

And basketball isn't all bad. Wellman did hire Skip.

His problem in basketball is not recognizing the proper year to fire coaches. And what to say as his reasons for firings. Odom was left to twist in the wind on an expiring contract, then let go.

Dino Gaudio probably should have been given one more year, to coach the team he recruited. The rhetoric around why Dino Gaudio was fired really didn't sit well with most of those who matter (and a lot of those who don't matter as well).

To this day, the hiring of Jeff Bzdelick and the campaign of testimonials puzzles me. I can't imagine that he was "plan A." I can only surmise that many things did not go well and Bz was the end result of that series of events.

Hiring Danny Manning was a reasonable swing at a guy who had a certain aura of "up and coming coach." Progressed under Bill Self from team manager to assistant coach with reputation as good developer of big men. Then was hired ad Tulsa HC and won both regular season and tournament championships in his third year. Because of his NBA career, you can't add "young and hungry" to his resume. When hired at Wake he appeared to be a rising star in coaching. A decent "swing" at the time. Maybe the best available out of the choices.

Unfortunately that has not continued at Wake. Started with a pretty bare cupboard, not much of a "honeymoon" recruiting bump. There wasn't a consensus "can't miss" recruit in the class. And its been an up and down ever since.

Wake is committed to Manning for the rest of this season. Early results do not look like the harbinger of good things to come.

How much more time does he get? What will be the rhetoric when he is let go?

I do believe conference records should be put into the proper context and I don’t think Clawson should be fired if Wake loses on Saturday.

In general though, I think it’s perfectly fair to compare football and basketball ACC winning percentages.

It all comes down to basketball. The arrogance of Wellman regarding the [name redacted] error, the smear campaign against Dino which has appeared to poison the well with Wellman and future coaches, the extension of Dino prior to his dismissal, the hiring of an unknown quantity in Danny Manning, which obviously isn't working out and who knows what his buyout will be IF he gets canned at the end of this season. Wellman has completely destroyed Wake basketball. Fuck everything else good or bad, what he has done to basketball is enough.

Sadly, I know Wake won't show him the door so all of this is moot anyway.

Dino Gaudio probably should NOT HAVE BEEN EXTENDED THEN FIRED FOR SEEMINGLY NO REASON have been given one more year, to coach the team he recruited. The rhetoric around why Dino Gaudio was fired really didn't sit well with most of those who matter (and a lot of those who don't matter as well).

To this day, the hiring of Jeff Bzdelick and the campaign of testimonials puzzles me. I can't imagine that he was "plan A." I can only surmise that many things did not go well and Bz was the end result of that series of events.

The ALL CAPS is how you end up with a stiff like Bzdoofus...job became undesirable the minute a guy is canned for going 61-31 in 3 years and winning an NCAA game. For this reason alone, Wellman should be fired. Or he at least should have been more forthright, but those dang NDA...who really was more in the wrong? If Dino's sins were so egregious, then why could they not be disclosed? Hell folks probably would have been okay if Wellman said that Dino's behavior was unbecoming to WF's culture and therefore we are going in a different direction. But when you compound your poor judgment with lousy, disingenuous rhetoric as your new bumbling coach falls flat on his face, you become a pariah and just further reinforce the toxic reputation that taints our BB program to this day.

His problem in basketball is not recognizing the proper year to fire coaches. And what to say as his reasons for firings. Odom was left to twist in the wind on an expiring contract, then let go.

Dino Gaudio probably should have been given one more year, to coach the team he recruited. The rhetoric around why Dino Gaudio was fired really didn't sit well with most of those who matter (and a lot of those who don't matter as well).

Hiring Danny Manning was a reasonable swing at a guy who had a certain aura of "up and coming coach." Progressed under Bill Self from team manager to assistant coach with reputation as good developer of big men. Then was hired ad Tulsa HC and won both regular season and tournament championships in his third year. Because of his NBA career, you can't add "young and hungry" to his resume. When hired at Wake he appeared to be a rising star in coaching. A decent "swing" at the time. Maybe the best available out of the choices.

Unfortunately that has not continued at Wake. Started with a pretty bare cupboard, not much of a "honeymoon" recruiting bump. There wasn't a consensus "can't miss" recruit in the class. And its been an up and down ever since.

Wake is committed to Manning for the rest of this season. Early results do not look like the harbinger of good things to come.

How much more time does he get? What will be the rhetoric when he is let go?

Excellent post.

Bump...because this should be the most talked avout subject amongst wake fans until a change is made. we cant settle for this crap any longer!

Hiring [name redacted], and hiring [name redacted] alone, was grounds to terminate Wellman. Nothing else matters because that entire move (coupled with how he fired Dino and the ridiculous campaign surrounding it) reeked of absolute incompetence. The four dreadful years and the four years since [name redacted] all stem from that one decision. It sunk our flagship sports program for a decade. Inexcusable.

Argument for firing Wellman: He is a prick whose arrogance has chased donors to the sidelines, emptied the stands, and cost a decade of students any reason to be connected to the basketball program - which will continue to cost Wake Forest in alumni engagement for years to come.

Actually, the first four words is reason enough: He is a prick.

Is this true? Certainly isn't the deal with FB.

if we lose at home to a team that went 5-26 last year...can it get any worse?

Back