• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fire Danny Manning Campaign

netflixnchildres

Reaction score
Please discuss and organize here. Willing Alumni need to organize and fund a campaign if Danny is not fired by the end of the Myrtle Beach tournament.

Too late to buy an ad on the football scoreboard for tomorrow?

It's not Danny's fault that he is the head coach at wake forest. It's a waste of time to try to get him fired.

#WrongTarget

No. It's not. The fact that Manning needs to go does not mean that Wellman doesn't also need to go.

I can attempt to organize outsourced workers in India to mass e-mail all the decision makers at a cost of $5/hour until something is done by the AD. Anyone interested in chipping in can be joined into a shared google doc of the template e-mail that will be repeatedly sent to anyone who can be annoyed enough to make a move on Danny's employment. This can be step 1, and less visible to the public than a billboard or crop duster. Each step can become increasingly more annoying and increasingly more public.

Buying a bot army to post about how much Wake basketball sucks, Fire manning, fire wellman is not the worst idea especially for exposure, annoyance, cost ratio.

Buying a bot army to post about how much Wake basketball sucks, Fire manning, fire wellman is not the worst idea especially for exposure, annoyance, cost ratio.
If bots had been a thing during the [Redacted] years, all of those insane stats from the billboard campaign would have made for a hell of a bot campaign.

How much could it really cost to get a hashtag trending in W-S? $12.50?

No. It's not. The fact that Manning needs to go does not mean that Wellman doesn't also need to go.

Yes it is. Getting rid of Wellman almost certainly means getting rid of Manning as well. Only the former solves the problem though.

Accepting a scenario where Wellman works a day longer than Manning at WFU would be indicative of an administration and an alumni base that is not committed to having a winning basketball program.

Please discuss and organize here. Willing Alumni need to organize and fund a campaign if Danny is not fired by the end of the Myrtle Beach tournament.

Netflix, you've got to follow your handle and chill. CSF isn't a great team, but they are ranked #150 in kenpom, went to the NCAA tournament last year, and they return all 5 of the starters. Beating them is not a terrible win, by any means.

But more importantly, there are several reasons why another "fire X campaign" is a bad idea. 1) It may make Wellman even less likely to make the right move at the end of the year - many people in his type of position don't like being told what to do by the fans. 2) It looks bad for the school and fan base, which can make hiring the next coach/AD even more challenging. We saw how that worked with the transition from [Redacted], compared to the transition from Grobe. The key with the next hire is to get a great coach, and a "fire X" campaign makes that even more difficult. There are many NCAA coaches and announcers, that when asked about the last campaign, would say it reflected poorly on Wake and hindered our ability to hire a great coach. We don't need that again. 3) Just look at how it worked last time. Wellman is still the AD and we were not able to make a stellar coaching hire. If you want to repeat that, go for it, but it sure seems like a bad idea.

Netflix, you've got to follow your handle and chill. CSF isn't a great team, but they are ranked #150 in kenpom, went to the NCAA tournament last year, and they return all 5 of the starters. Beating them is not a terrible win, by any means.

But more importantly, there are several reasons why another "fire X campaign" is a bad idea. 1) It may make Wellman even less likely to make the right move at the end of the year - many people in his type of position don't like being told what to do by the fans. 2) It looks bad for the school and fan base, which can make hiring the next coach/AD even more challenging. We saw how that worked with the transition from [Redacted], compared to the transition from Grobe. The key with the next hire is to get a great coach, and a "fire X" campaign makes that even more difficult. There are many NCAA coaches and announcers, that when asked about the last campaign, would say it reflected poorly on Wake and hindered our ability to hire a great coach. We don't need that again. 3) Just look at how it worked last time. Wellman is still the AD and we were not able to make a stellar coaching hire. If you want to repeat that, go for it, but it sure seems like a bad idea.

That's why we need a Fire Ron Wellman campaign. Fuck that fucker!

Hence, why I suggest the private email campaign first. Give the Athletic Department and alumni decision makers the right push in private. Annoy them in private so they feel like they can't rest on their laurels. If they still think inaction is the way to go then they can face public pressure. I don't know Shah's business, but I can tell you this comes right out of a big PE guy's playbook. You see a company underperforming and you talk to the heads in private first. Then you make a stink at the shareholders meeting. If you still feel they stink you aggressively rally up support, get a majority behind you or buy a majority yourself, and take action removing the heads of the company and put your people in to get the job done correctly.

That's why we need a Fire Ron Wellman campaign. Fuck that fucker!

That's what the last campaign was. #FireWellman and fireronwellman.com were both on the billboard. It didn't work last time. The problem with that approach, in my opinion, is that Wellman is clearly the most successful AD we have ever had, and it's not even close. He has screwed up basketball, but many other aspects of the AD are going really well.

I will say, that if you wanted to start a campaign, the way to do so would be privately, not publicly. Emails, letters, raise money that will be donated once change occurs, etc. I think that would be much more effective and wouldn't reflect poorly on the school.

[Added] Netflix, we made our posts at the same time. As you can tell, I agree regarding the private campaign.

Last edited:
Danny is obviously not the answer. Nothing happens today after a win. Unfortunately I'll have to sit through Sunday's game and watch his shortcomings again. Hopefully by end of business day Monday there are some rumblings of a change. If not, anyone who wants to join my idea feel free to discuss here, but I feel pretty good about moving forward with a coordinated bot campaign next week if Danny is still here.

For about $500 dollars I can give everyone involved in his employment 100 hours of e-mails. $2000 dollars keeps the decision makers flooded for a month, even if they are workaholics.

The Wake Forest basketball players deserve better. They should not have to waste another entire season under Danny Manning. How would that help the program - a last place finish in the ACC, no development of our guards, massive transfers after an announcement in March. Getting rid of him now gives our guys a chance to get some stability before the season ends and time to process the idea of a new coach to consider staying. It gives our guards a chance to develop into better players while here at Wake. Lastly, it gives them a slight chance to not be bottom dwellers again, because maybe a new voice at HC gets this team to perform better this year. 80% of their time here should not be spent as the bottom of the ACC. We know if Danny stays thats how this ends. Lets not be the guys that see the flood coming and wait until we are underwater to put on a lifejacket.

That's what the last campaign was. #FireWellman and fireronwellman.com were both on the billboard. It didn't work last time. The problem with that approach, in my opinion, is that Wellman is clearly the most successful AD we have ever had, and it's not even close. He has screwed up basketball, but many other aspects of the AD are going really well.

I will say, that if you wanted to start a campaign, the way to do so would be privately, not publicly. Emails, letters, raise money that will be donated once change occurs, etc. I think that would be much more effective and wouldn't reflect poorly on the school.

[Added] Netflix, we made our posts at the same time. As you can tell, I agree regarding the private campaign.

Wellman is the only AD we've had in the modern FBS era. Who knows what others could do given the opportunities that his predecessors didn't have.

Back