• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pre-game and half-time fly-over.

Don't want to start a separate topic, but the band seemed incredibly small to me, it's never been big but when I graduated in 2000 we were over 100 members, but today it liked like no more than 50.
It is pathetically small. There were around 100 when I graduated in 2008. That was a healthy amount. No idea why it is so small but something has to be done to increase enrollment.

There was one tuba yesterday. Two weeks ago there were two. Last year, IIRC, there were five and the band much bigger.
From past years observations the AD office poorly supports the band, if any. The oldest band in NC may soon be no more unless some support is given. Thanks to those students that do come out and they do give a lot. I admit, I'm an old past band member.

Old band member here too. I was told it is down to 60 members, no reason given. Personally I think some of it has to do with basketball sucking for over a decade. marching band is fun but hard work. Back in my day they were plenty of us who put up with marching primarily so we could play pep band for Duncan, Childress & Co. Therefore basketball pep band was hella fun, got to travel to ACC and NCAA tourney etc. Not exactly the case anymore.

Old band member here too. I was told it is down to 60 members, no reason given. Personally I think some of it has to do with basketball sucking for over a decade. marching band is fun but hard work. Back in my day they were plenty of us who put up with marching primarily so we could play pep band for Duncan, Childress & Co. Therefore basketball pep band was hella fun, got to travel to ACC and NCAA tourney etc. Not exactly the case anymore.
Good point about basketball. Certainly was a factor in why I did marching band.

It is pathetically small. There were around 100 when I graduated in 2008. That was a healthy amount. No idea why it is so small but something has to be done to increase enrollment.

You need 100 for critical mass. A lot of students in my day joined the band to get some scholarship money. We probably don't attract sufficient numbers of students in the middle class where the extra dollars matter. Also, in the past we had some WS State students in the band,were they paid? It all needs work.

Last edited:
You need 100 for critical mass. A lot of students in my day joined the band to get some scholarship money. We probably don't attract sufficient numbers of students in the middle class where the extra dollars matter. Also, in the past we had some WS State students in the band,were they paid? It all needs work.
The stipend junior/senior year was huge for me. Also, we had a few Salem college students who marched. No idea if that still happens.

I graduated in 2000, and at that point 3rd year band members I think got a $500 stipend and 4th years got $750. No idea if that continued after we graduated.

The stipend was a nice perk, and when I was in the band in the early 2000s, we also had someone from Surry Community College march in the band.

We also had 4 credits, later changed to 3 hours credit per semester for marching (fall) and symphonic (spring) band. That was a nice help to the GPA as well. Now according to the website, it's 1 credit for marching band and .5 credits for Athletics Band. I honestly put more time and effort into my band classes than any other class at Wake. They honestly deserve more than 1.5 credit hours per year. Not sure if the stipend is still there, but it sounds as if the higher ups have completely destroyed any incentive for being in the band.

I graduated in 2000, and at that point 3rd year band members I think got a $500 stipend and 4th years got $750. No idea if that continued after we graduated.
That, band staff, and the away trip stipend helped a ton.

I recall two tubas earlier in the season, but only one yesterday

Bad news is the one tuba player yesterday was honored as a senior. Have counted around 50 total a couple of times this year.

These updating comments have been a learning experience for me. It appears maybe the AD has done some things and tried to get more band members but just are not adequate enough in these newer times. Back when I did it, we got a couple of credit hours and usually a good grade. Otherwise the effort was rewarded only with the love of Olde Wake Forest, no $ compensation. I'm a bit discouraged about the band's future

Sorry, but it was kind of lame. It you want to have a real flyover, then find some fighter planes and have them buzz the scoreboard. When they first flew over they were at about 1000 feet. Too high and no noise. Sort of pointless. Their circling the stadium was better.

FAA requirement is 1000 feet for above a structure. I guess the stadium circles were considered outside the structure. Had a family with 2 kids first time at college ball game and they were thrilled by the flyover.

I graduated in 1998. I don't recall ever getting a stipend (and I think I would as I needed every extra $ in college). That must have started after 1998. I can't remember how many credit hours it was exactly, but I definitely remember putting in a hell of a lot more hours per week than whatever it was!

I don't remember any WSSU players but there were a couple Salem girls. Hard to imagine a WSSU student marching for WFU instead of the Red Sea of Sound.

Back