• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Abbreviated KP Report on Valpo - Sunday 10:30 am ESPNU

We let teams walk to the basket anyway. It's not like Saar is going to make that big of a difference. The D sucks period, with or without Sarr.

This is hugely different than starting Terrence Thompson. It would have been good not to start him, because we had Doral on the back line. But we don't have a big or tall body if Hoard is our biggest guy. Mucius' skill set and physical traits are much closer to a SG than to a PF.

Plus, both guys are young. It's hard enough to learn your natural slots but to ask them to do so much more, and mostly against people who are experienced and talented at they do, is too much of an ask.

It's one thing to play one guy in a position where is physically mismatched. It's much more difficult to have two. More importantly, it's much more harmful to your team to have your two best players (yes, Mucius is #2) playing out of position and in places that don't support their talent.

This is much different than having a big, a ball handler and three wings alternating playing different roles.

Why don't we just play positionless basketball then.

Plus I think a great game by Sarr against a good team would mean he gets hot from outside, tosses in a few offensive putbacks, has a nice night on the boards. He can get to 15 and 10 that way, but I just described a stretch 4, not a center.

I really don't think flipping Mucius for Sarr makes us much "smaller" based on their play so far. It's not "if we take Sarr out, we won't have a center." We already don't have a center with Sarr playing. So start our best players, keep the bench short, but play Sarr as the stretch 4 he is right now and let Smart/Okeke give some minutes when we need a 5.

He's 6th in minutes anyway. I don't know maybe everyone else loved starting Terrence Thompson for no reason all last year.

I think Sarr does provide some rim protection, which is more valuable than anything Thompson ever brought to the table. But agree we can't afford to have another season with a black hole in the starting 5.

I think Sarr does provide some rim protection, which is more valuable than anything Thompson ever brought to the table. But agree we can't afford to have another season with a black hole in the starting 5.

Yeah I wasn't equating Sarr and Thompson value-wise, just the idea of not starting our best team of 5 players.

And I definitely think starting matters. It matters because that's how players measure themselves (ask Keyshawn). It matters because the starting 5 is a group that gets used to starting and finishing games together. It matters because when you play your 3rd best player as your 6th man, it puts them in a specific role that they better be a good fit for.

I am not as down on Sarr. He provides rim protection in the middle that we otherwise don't have. Of course he needs to get better. He needs to get stronger but really just fight more on the defensive glass. Even with limited strength, he should be getting 9 defensive boards every game.

I am more down on Chill and Chaundee at this point. They have the most experience in the system and are underwhelming. Chilll has made a few nice shots, and I guess the offense runs a little better when he is at the 1, but he is just way too much of a ball stopper and turns the ball over way too much. And at this point I am not sure Chaundee is ever going to get it on offense. Is he a spot up shooter? A slasher? What are his go to moves? He doesnt seem to know and is always confused looking on O. Now that we have at least two more talented players on O, we may never see.

Super psyched about Hoard and Mucius. Hoard is super high energy big motor. Dude can get 14 and 10 with nothing being run for him just on pure garbage cleanup and athleticism. He will be a monster as the season progresses and he gets more comfortable. Also love Mucius fearlessness and skill set. Agree with poster who previously mentioned that slash from Sunday where he pump faked from 3 point line one dribble and he was to the rim. And he has knocked down some 3s.

Really hoping that these guys can come together enough in the OOC that we push for a few more ACC wins this year, maybe even threaten .500.

Either way, I am psyched to watch Mucius and Hoard this year.

I actually think Mucius might have more upside at both the college level and in the NBA than Hoard. Mucius' first step quickness + the length of his strides + his ability to cross over, jab step spin without losing body control seems incredibly elite. And he hasn't grown into his body. I think he stays more years in college than Hoard - not a huge reach obviously, but I think he may be a more productive pro over his career than Hoard as well. Mucius has also hit some clutch shots, including clutch 3s already

And that is taking nothing away from Hoard. Hoard has a gimme the damn persona the likes of which we have not seen since James Johnson or Teague were on campus. He actually reminds me more of Josh Howard than Johnson, though he's taller than longer than Howard. Hoard also gets positioning. We need to learn to throw him lobs. I would have Sarr throw him passes off the backboard if he's not comfortable throwing some of those lobs.

I disagree on Chill. I think he's been a great floor leader Yes, he could move the ball faster, but some of that is our positioning sometimes really blows. He's got to fix the turnovers though. Trying to do too much sometimes.

I think our two key contributors that will determine whether we win 14 games or get into the bubble discussion are Sarr and Wright Jr. (cut that damn braid son! It is in your fucking eyes!). Would have totally expected the most concern to be with Wright Jr. playing 25 minutes 7 days ago, now I think the opposite. Sarr seems to have lost some of his quickness with the added weight. He needs to get that back and soon.

I like Wright a lot too. Obvs Chill isnt going anywhere, and he is ultimately probably better bringing the ball up the floor, esp w any pressure, but I really think our best lineup is Wright, Brown, Mucius, Hoard, Sarr.

I am not as down on Sarr. He provides rim protection in the middle that we otherwise don't have. Of course he needs to get better. He needs to get stronger but really just fight more on the defensive glass. Even with limited strength, he should be getting 9 defensive boards every game.

I am more down on Chill and Chaundee at this point. They have the most experience in the system and are underwhelming.

How does Sarr have less experience in the system than Chaundee?

Chill is 2nd on the team in scoring, leading the team in field goal percentage and assists while shooting over 50% from deep. He's shooting 90% from the line and while he's turned it over some Sarr is leading the team in turnovers.

But Sarr is on the "best 5" list and Chill isn't? Ok.

I like Wright a lot too. Obvs Chill isnt going anywhere, and he is ultimately probably better bringing the ball up the floor, esp w any pressure, but I really think our best lineup is Wright, Brown, Mucius, Hoard, Sarr.

You're nuts if you think L'il Chill is not in our best 5 lineup right now... Jeez...

Brown has not played well up to this point. Childress is the team leader.

247 had Mucius as composite #94. I want to see 40-50 frosh better than him much less 93.

Chill is 2nd on the team in scoring, leading the team in field goal percentage and assists while shooting over 50% from deep. He's shooting 90% from the line and while he's turned it over some Sarr is leading the team in turnovers.

Chill is playing pretty well. He's shooting over 50% for overall FG and 3P%. Can cut down some on the TO's. For the whole of last season, Crawford average less AST and more TO's than Chill is currently averaging. I also went back and looked at Crawford's stats in our first few games last year. He had lots of TO's during our craptastic start, including games with more TO's than ASTs.

How does Sarr have less experience in the system than Chaundee?

I didnt say that, although Brown started almost every game and played a lot more live minutes than Sarr last year. I said Brown and Chill have the most experience and arent really playing that great. Disappointing.

Im not playing positionless bball. I dont think Chill can play the 5. If he could he would be in best 5 lineup. Agree Sarr isnt one of our best 5 overall players, but I think the best lineup has him in it. I think we will get murdered in the acc with Hoard at the 5 more than a few minutes.

Sarr has a long way to go, but he is our best option down low, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Last edited:
Offensively through four games Brown has been trash.

Chill has been very good on offense. Not sure what you’re evaluating on if you’re basing it solely off this year

I didnt say that, although Brown started almost every game and played a lot more live minutes than Sarr last year. I said Brown and Chill have the most experience and arent really playing that great. Disappointing.

Im not playing positionless bball. I dont think Chill can play the 5. If he could he would be in best 5 lineup. Agree Sarr isnt one of our best 5 overall players, but I think the best lineup has him in it. I think we will get murdered in the acc with Hoard at the 5 more than a few minutes.

Sarr has a long way to go, but he is our best option down low, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Plus Hoard would draw fouls at the 5 the way shit draws flies.

Back