• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Would anyone be upset if Manning was fired today.

I thought Manning might actually be more likable that [Redacted], but his ego and tendecy to laugh off questions in interviews has me quickly changing that opinion. Much like [Redacted], he really just doesn't seem to care about Wake Forest, his players, the fans or success. Remind me again why I thought he was likable? Was I just hopeful?

He said all of the right things in his initial press conference and was about as different from Bz as you could be.

Ernie & Dave, let's make this shit happen. 0.0% chance that the outcome would be worse then letting Manning coach all season.

Um, no! I would delightfully risk a hangover tomorrow and drink a huge glass of Tito's in honor of Danny's quick and swift dismissal.

In a weird way I’m actually more hopeful about this season after this loss than I was before it. This is such an egregious, mindblowing loss that I actually have (some) hope Wellman will do the right thing and part ways with DM. If so, I truly believe this team has the talent to have a semi-enjoyable season under Nestor. Not a good season, but a fun, watchable season. Then hire Odom EOY.

It’s just really not very hard. Just do it Wellman...

I would be ecstatic! Please Wellman, fire him tonight and name Nestor or Childress the interim coach until after the season when you can hire a real one.

I agree with this, save for the Childress part, unless it is apparent that the players would prefer Dolph take over as interim. But Ernie is the perfect man to rudder this foundering vessel away from the rocks of total destruction and get it into a safe (albeit with significant damage to the hull) harbor until the correct captain can be hired to lead us back to respectability, let alone "historical competitiveness."

If Wellman and Manning are still employed at Wake when I get back to the States next week then I’m probably just giving up on Wake sports until the whole admin turns over. I can get by on the NBA, Premier League, and boxing.

I thought Manning might actually be more likable that [Redacted], but his ego and tendecy to laugh off questions in interviews has me quickly changing that opinion. Much like [Redacted], he really just doesn't seem to care about Wake Forest, his players, the fans or success. Remind me again why I thought he was likable? Was I just hopeful?

This is why you want a young coach trying to make his name. That guy is going to give a shit about Wake winning because it is his career and his life.

Both BZ and Manning had made somewhat of a name for themselves on something other than being a head college basketball coach. They were also both older and had the passion of a stone.

Give me a smart, young coach that is on the way up. Not some 50 year old guy trying his hand at a second career. That was essentially what both BZ and Manning were.

In a weird way I’m actually more hopeful about this season after this loss than I was before it. This is such an egregious, mindblowing loss that I actually have (some) hope Wellman will do the right thing and part ways with DM. If so, I truly believe this team has the talent to have a semi-enjoyable season under Nestor. Not a good season, but a fun, watchable season. Then hire Odom EOY.

It’s just really not very hard. Just do it Wellman...

Yes. Except Wellman is really no where near as smart as your average dolt. It is the obvious answer, but he is one stubborn prick and does not really care about Wake basketball at all.

This is why you want a young coach trying to make his name. That guy is going to give a shit about Wake winning because it is his career and his life.

Both BZ and Manning had made somewhat of a name for themselves on something other than being a head college basketball coach. They were also both older and had the passion of a stone.

Give me a smart, young coach that is on the way up. Not some 50 year old guy trying his hand at a second career. That was essentially what both BZ and Manning were.

Yep. At this point, I don’t care much about accomplishments. I’d take young and hungry with potential. The next AD can fire him if he doesn’t get the job done.

Yep. At this point, I don’t care much about accomplishments. I’d take young and hungry with potential. The next AD can fire him if he doesn’t get the job done.

Agreed. If they have a bunch of high level accomplishments, they will not be choosing to rescue a program from a decade long dumpster fire.

No. But I would be upset if we didn’t fire lying Wellman with him.

Agreed. If they have a bunch of high level accomplishments, they will not be choosing to rescue a program from a decade long dumpster fire.

Exactly.

I’ll never be able to hear Manning speak again without thinking he sucks. Almost like go away now feeling. Buzzass was different. He was more like Elrod.

Therein lies the rub. All we're asking is that he move on from mistake #2 and hire someone with some damn fire. If it doesn't work out, like you said, donezo in 2 years, maybe 3, when the new AD comes on. But if the BoT continues to enable this addiction to poor judgment and quest for culture, then what can we do? But we're more than duly fucked at this point anyway, so no sense in doubling-down on futility and incompetence. Get the ball rolling and maybe, just maybe, we'll get our first choice this time. Not that that is even a pre-requisite for doing what must be done.

Back