• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Would anyone be upset if Manning was fired today.

No don't fire Manning until Wellman is fired first. Ron Wellman cannot be allowed to hire another basketball coach.
The timing of that dooms our program to another few years of Manning.

Better to simply cut Wellman out of the process.

Some dude response to another dudes FB comment that they were glad they didn’t waste a $1 (yes $1 tickets were being sold by the ticket office) to buy a ticket to yesterday’s game was, “ well you missed one heck of a game” and he was serious. What world do these people live in?

Me.

Don't think the way to hire a great coach next year is to dump one5 games in.

The good news is we have talent so no excuses. I think this year is going to be frustrating and end in manning's dismissal but I am not hopeful in regards to well man hiring the next coach
Add to that mix he gets his 3rd or 4th offer and we are eight back here in 5 years

Comments I saw on the Wake Forest Basketball FB page were pretty similar to the sentiment on this board.

Me.

The good news is we have talent so no excuses. I think this year is going to be frustrating and end in manning's dismissal but I am not hopeful in regards to well man hiring the next coach
Add to that mix he gets his 3rd or 4th offer and we are eight back here in 5 years

Wrong. A decent coach could get this team to look respectable. That would be a plus for the new coach.

You also could prevent demoralizing the whole team and have all the decent players announcing their transfers as the ball stops bouncing.

This shit needs to get fixed. Delay is not your answer. Sawvel was removed and "nobody" did a better job.

Me.

We literally hired a babysitter for Manning who can be the interim for the rest of the season.

It's Jaybone. Consider the source. No one has been more wrong about that last two coaches.

Me.

If this was Year 1, Year 2 or maybe even Year 3, I might agree with you, but this is Year 5. He's had plenty of chances. Plus, he just lost to a team that had never beaten a Top 100 team in D1.

This year's team has little to no fire. That's 90+% on the coaches. It's even more unacceptable than losing to HBU.

Fire Danny after the football game. Put either Randolph or Nestor in as interim and start looking for a new coach.

You fire Manning this year and don't like Wellman unilaterially make the hiring decision.

This should be an attractive job. You can recruit talent here even with dumpster fire seasons. Any coach showing real improvement should be able to recruit here.

Right. I don’t trust the powers that be to sell the job.

I guess I don't have a problem not keeping Manning. But I do have a HUGE problem with the idea of firing him being an obvious solution to our problems. If we let him go without a very sound and forward thinking plan of who the right coach is, how and when to make a change, and a realistic timeline for the future, it's just another bad decision. Wake Forest basketball is in a very bad position. The expectations are totally ridiculous. The culture is "losing". The fan base is horrible. The facilities suck. And we're in a conference where under the very best of circumstances there's little hope of championships. Whatever change happens going forward will not happen overnight. Take a hard look at Rick Barnes and Shaka Smart at Texas, Tom Crean at Indiana, Sean Miller at Arizona, Steve Alford at UCLA, all the recent coaches at Oregon, UConn, et al. None of them have achieved consistent success in spite of 5 star resumes, great history, easier academic standards and all the resources that Wake Forest basketball does not have. The days of an ACC affiliation being a guarantee of success are long gone.

When Houston Baptist goes to the Final Four, we’ll be sorry we raked this way.

I guess I don't have a problem not keeping Manning. But I do have a HUGE problem with the idea of firing him being an obvious solution to our problems. If we let him go without a very sound and forward thinking plan of who the right coach is, how and when to make a change, and a realistic timeline for the future, it's just another bad decision. Wake Forest basketball is in a very bad position. The expectations are totally ridiculous. The culture is "losing". The fan base is horrible. The facilities suck. And we're in a conference where under the very best of circumstances there's little hope of championships. Whatever change happens going forward will not happen overnight. Take a hard look at Rick Barnes and Shaka Smart at Texas, Tom Crean at Indiana, Sean Miller at Arizona, Steve Alford at UCLA, all the recent coaches at Oregon, UConn, et al. None of them have achieved consistent success in spite of 5 star resumes, great history, easier academic standards and all the resources that Wake Forest basketball does not have. The days of an ACC affiliation being a guarantee of success are long gone.

There is only one thing consistent about our basketball program and it's that Fusion Dad makes the completely worst takes.

It's like the 25 years before BZ never happened. Wake was consistently good and can be again with a good coach. Hopefully not one of those crappy retreads that Fusion talks about.

And is wake not about to have state of the art facilities? Even in a long post Fusion can't get anything right.

So, so stupid.

You fire Manning because almost any plan is better than sticking with him.

And Wake has one of the most reasonable fan bases in all of sports. The idea that the fans have crazy expectations is laughably dumb.

After the football game, Manning being gone would be the only way this day gets better.

Fire his ass and get people interested in hoops again. Football will be over after the bowl game and it's going to be ugly if no changes are made.

You make some of the dumbest posts I’ve ever read on here.

I used to live for basketball season and enjoyed some awesome and well-coached Wake teams. I’m sick of not having a basketball team. I’m sad that I don’t even watch anymore. Go away, Wellman. Just go away.

This is such a bad take. It is a very similar take to the ones Bobknightfan used to write about how Wake football could not compete in the ACC, couldn’t beat ACC teams, wouldn’t make bowl games, couldn’t replace Grobe, etc. Just really clueless takes that don’t realize the advantages that Wake has (ACC affiliation, great state to recruit from, great facilities, good history, passionate fan base, lots of financial resources, etc.).

Back