• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Would anyone be upset if Manning was fired today.

Not sure if this was asked before, haven’t looked through the whole thread. If we do replace him who is a “realistic” option? Not who we would love to have, but who would take the job now given how far we have fallen.

Optimizing Wake's opportunity on the coaching carousel requires three things: letting Danny go at the right time, saying the right things about why he was let go and having a good plan and criteria for hiring his successor.

Early season removal of Danny would make many potential successors unavailable. Coaches Wake should be pursuing should not be willing to leave their current schools in mid season. If Danny goes much before Wake plays its final game in spring 2019, Wake will need an interim until April 2019.

Obviously we would have an interim coach finish out the season then conduct the coaching search.

Obviously we would have an interim coach finish out the season then conduct the coaching search.

Well yeah..... I just meant realistic targets who would actually want to come here rather than stay in their weaker conference but have a better shot at making the tournament

I’m hearing that Izzo would leave at any moment to coach at Wake.

Fusiondad works in bad takes the way an artist might work in oils or water colors.

Optimizing Wake's opportunity on the coaching carousel requires three things: letting Danny go at the right time, saying the right things about why he was let go and having a good plan and criteria for hiring his successor.

Early season removal of Danny would make many potential successors unavailable. Coaches Wake should be pursuing should not be willing to leave their current schools in mid season. If Danny goes much before Wake plays its final game in spring 2019, Wake will need an interim until April 2019.

Firing Manning today and making Nestor interim coach would be optimal for getting the best replacement.

It would let every interested coach know well in advance that there was an opening. It would give us all season to back channel contact whomever we are interested in.

Keeping Manning in place all year just allows another team to take our number one target while Wellman fiddles around delaying the inevitable.

Would Seth Greenburg be our current coach if BZ had been let go early in the season? Maybe?

There is no advantage to allowing an obviously unqualified coach to continue to half-ass his way through the season.

Or you could go with "The beatings will continue until moral improves".

Fusiondad works in bad takes the way an artist might work in oils or water colors.

That is pretty funny. It is hard not to appreciate intensity of wrongness in every post. I does add to the enjoyment of reading these boards in a BKF kind of way.

Country Dan wrote a great piece contrasting Clawson and Manning. Hard hitting and accurate in my opinion. I mean really hard hitting.

Country Dan wrote a great piece contrasting Clawson and Manning. Hard hitting and accurate in my opinion. I mean really hard hitting.

https://mytakeonwhatever.com/

The difference between Manning and Clawson is that one of them is hungry, the same one who has spent a life proving himself.

But if Ron Wellman were to ever ask me what he should look for in hiring a basketball coach at Wake, I’d say go with the hungriest coach he can find.

Firing Manning today and making Nestor interim coach would be optimal for getting the best replacement.

It would let every interested coach know well in advance that there was an opening. It would give us all season to back channel contact whomever we are interested in.

Keeping Manning in place all year just allows another team to take our number one target while Wellman fiddles around delaying the inevitable.

Would Seth Greenburg be our current coach if BZ had been let go early in the season? Maybe?

There is no advantage to allowing an obviously unqualified coach to continue to half-ass his way through the season.

Or you could go with "The beatings will continue until moral improves".

Make Childress the interim. If he pulls off some kind of miracle and gets this team to the NCAAT, keep him. Otherwise, maybe he can parlay the experience into another job if he actually wants to coach outside of Wake.

https://mytakeonwhatever.com/

The difference between Manning and Clawson is that one of them is hungry, the same one who has spent a life proving himself.

But if Ron Wellman were to ever ask me what he should look for in hiring a basketball coach at Wake, I’d say go with the hungriest coach he can find.

Rick Majerus is dead. Who’s your next pick?

Absolutely no question!
If I were running this department like I run my own business, he would not have been employed the next day. Ron was a complete idiot to give the extension but he is such a miraculous fund raiser he needs to be instructed to get the funds and put this program on the right track or else.
Nestor as interim and real coaching search with a committee.

Make Childress the interim. If he pulls off some kind of miracle and gets this team to the NCAAT, keep him. Otherwise, maybe he can parlay the experience into another job if he actually wants to coach outside of Wake.

Childress has done zero to deserve even the interim head coaching job. Our gaurd play has been a revolving door of dumpster fires since he joined the program. Send him to the pasture with Manning and let’s move on.

Not sure if this was asked before, haven’t looked through the whole thread. If we do replace him who is a “realistic” option? Not who we would love to have, but who would take the job now given how far we have fallen.

That's the $64,000.00 question. After [Redacted] ran the program into the ground, no one wanted to come here. Manning was like 5th or 6th on our list, and CP3 didn't want him to be the coach.

Childress has done zero to deserve even the interim head coaching job. Our gaurd play has been a revolving door of dumpster fires since he joined the program. Send him to the pasture with Manning and let’s move on.

Nobody on this staff deserves to be the interim even the 72 year old who hasn’t been a head coach in 10 seasons and hasn’t been at Wake in 18.

I'd be fine with this, for those of you dissing Randolph because he was an assistant to two terrible coaches, you do realize the head coach determines most everything on a team about how to play right? Manning is way too stubborn to listen to anyone else including his assistants. That is why I was not optimistic about Wellman hiring Nestor to help him, he won't listen to him either.

Back