• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Would anyone be upset if Manning was fired today.

At this point i would be shocked if Manning is back next year. Some big heads arent happy with Manning. Thats why Nestor was brought along.

At this point i would be shocked if Manning is back next year. Some big heads arent happy with Manning. Thats why Nestor was brought along.

Please tell me Nestor is not our solution. It could be worse, I guess, but if Nestor is our next head coach, we've given up.

And to answer to post's original question, yes because it would not have been yesterday.

No fucking shit

I don’t think it’s super obvious so I’m glad to have any scoop I can get. I wish I heard more people talking about how the big heads aren’t happy. Up till now I haven’t heard that much.

If that's the case, why didn't they can Manning at the end of last year? He has exactly THREE returning players and has shown no aptitude for building a team. There is no way this team wasn't going to be bad...or good enough to retain him. Completely wasted year IMO.

If that's the case, why didn't they can Manning at the end of last year? He has exactly THREE returning players and has shown no aptitude for building a team. There is no way this team wasn't going to be bad...or good enough to retain him. Completely wasted year IMO.

My guess is that those people expected Moore and Crawford (but especially Moore) to be back. If we had Moore on this team it would probably look dramatically different. Our post play has been pathetic and the reason why we are not blowing our these terrible teams. Well that, plus the fact that Manning can't in-game coach at all. By the time these issues played out, it may have been late in the coaching cycle to make a change per Wake's typical style which is to only make a change when it is painfully obvious due to stubborness/sunshine optimism.

I agree, another waisted year. I would give anything if we had someone with some fire in their ass about the fundamentals of the game. You try skipping the fundamentals with Coach K, you end up on the bench.. I want a coach who cares and shows passion. You guys can bitch all you want but that's why I wanted Bruce Pearl. I don't give a crap if the dude is not perfect, I want someone who can fire the fanbase up and teach basketball. I somewhat like the Nevada coach by the way.

big-head-small.jpg

Honest question that I am sure has been discussed ad nauseam, did wake consider interviewing or interview Chris Mack after skip's untimely death? If not, that will go down as one of our bigger blunders in a mound of blunders this athletic department has had since that time.

I am [finally] there.

I do think firing a head basketball coach is night and day different from firing a coordinator in football, but I see a handful of things that - if I were AD - would lead me to bring Danny in this morning and thank him for his service:

* An offense that runs general sets. Very loose. Yes, we post up Hoard, but there is so little precision that it is a crap shoot on whether the play develops
* A team that seems to love one another, but a staff that - outside Manning who would be a good poker player - looks miserable. I fear that will eventually rub off on the team
* A team that - I would guess that due to lack of intensity in practice - cannot maintain intensity for longer than a few minutes. They then regress to some version of their coach.
* I could probably go on

I think it is a huge risk to do this. I fear that the season implodes further even with something this drastic and Wellman gets his 5th choice hire in March 2019. But ...

I would fire Manning, elevate Chill with Nestor as his #2. Move Justin Gray to the bench. Hell, ask CJ Harris if he is interested. Go full on nostalgia on the bench and see if we can gin up some excitement on the staff. Again, I think the team, mostly due to their freshman-ness, is generally excited to put on the Wake uniform. They just need to be coached as to what that means.

Happy to take your anger and snarkiness. I was wrong. I do think this is the nucleur option and if Chill is not a coach, we will essentially ruin him on this level, but I am ready to push the button. If we don't, our ACC road games are going to be ugly and we will scare away 5star talent for years as the whole college basketball world will watch future NBA starter Hoard get a beat down once or twice a week from peers who seem to be having the time of their young lives. That doesn't wash off fast.

I am [finally] there.

I do think firing a head basketball coach is night and day different from firing a coordinator in football, but I see a handful of things that - if I were AD - would lead me to bring Danny in this morning and thank him for his service:

* An offense that runs general sets. Very loose. Yes, we post up Hoard, but there is so little precision that it is a crap shoot on whether the play develops
* A team that seems to love one another, but a staff that - outside Manning who would be a good poker player - looks miserable. I fear that will eventually rub off on the team
* A team that - I would guess that due to lack of intensity in practice - cannot maintain intensity for longer than a few minutes. They then regress to some version of their coach.
* I could probably go on

I think it is a huge risk to do this. I fear that the season implodes further even with something this drastic and Wellman gets his 5th choice hire in March 2019. But ...

I would fire Manning, elevate Chill with Nestor as his #2. Move Justin Gray to the bench. Hell, ask CJ Harris if he is interested. Go full on nostalgia on the bench and see if we can gin up some excitement on the staff. Again, I think the team, mostly due to their freshman-ness, is generally excited to put on the Wake uniform. They just need to be coached as to what that means.

Happy to take your anger and snarkiness. I was wrong. I do think this is the nucleur option and if Chill is not a coach, we will essentially ruin him on this level, but I am ready to push the button. If we don't, our ACC road games are going to be ugly and we will scare away 5star talent for years as the whole college basketball world will watch future NBA starter Hoard get a beat down once or twice a week from peers who seem to be having the time of their young lives. That doesn't wash off fast.

Good post. Glad you saw the light. Need to remove the cancer before it spreads. Schedule surgery today, Ronnie.

I am [finally] there.

* I could probably go on

Happy you've come around. Now please go teach Danny Manning about autoerotique asphyxiation. His home address is: REDACTED
https://imgflip.com/memegenerator

Last edited:
Home address? Should be a bannable offense.

Should probably edit that

Wellman will not fire Manning during the season for the same reason he didn't fire him at the end of last year, he would have to admit he screwed up (again).

Hoard is a one and done. I would guess that Chill comes back for his senior year unless he can graduate early and play one more year somewhere else. You probably lose one or two of the Freshman and Brown to transfers and next year we're completely starting over ... for the 3rd time in 6 years. Whoever takes over next year is going to get a complete dumpster fire. If Wellman had canned Manning in the spring, the new coach may have been able to save this class and not be starting from the KenPom 200's next year.

Wellman will not fire Manning during the season for the same reason he didn't fire him at the end of last year, he would have to admit he screwed up (again).

Hoard is a one and done. I would guess that Chill comes back for his senior year unless he can graduate early and play one more year somewhere else. You probably lose one or two of the Freshman and Brown to transfers and next year we're completely starting over ... for the 3rd time in 6 years. Whoever takes over next year is going to get a complete dumpster fire. If Wellman had canned Manning in the spring, the new coach may have been able to save this class and not be starting from the KenPom 200's next year.

There’s just no way anybody could have come to this conclusion back in March.

Back