• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WHY is he still our basketball coach?

I personally was hoping that Wellman would feel empowered by that domination of Duke yesterday and decide that losing to Houston Baptist at home in basketball was not acceptable.

If he doesn't fire Manning by Monday, he's an effin' idiot (which we indeed know that he is). Promote Nestor to interim-coach, and start the search. If you wait until the end of the season, you've doomed us to getting another last-minute, so-so coach, and you've put us WAY behind the eight-ball in recruiting.

Good point. At this point, I would prefer high upside, young & cheap. Top tier guys are clearly not interested anymore.

Firing Danny now might be bad timing, similar to firing Dino after three seasons of NCAA tournament appearances.

The freshmen are the best class Danny has recruited. Definitely a bad game. Two big contributors to the loss were turnovers and poor defense. Both can be attributed to inexperience, lack of communication and lack of experience playing together. From an outside observer's perspective, all these are theoretically fixable by coaching. The guys on the team are the guys Danny wanted to have.

He needs to be allowed to make a stronger case for his own firing by the coaching job he does. Even his "big man whisperer" reputation is taking a hit with Sarr's early season (bad) performance.

Even more important than when Dino was let go, the departure of Danny Manning from Wake has to be done right. IMHO, reaction firing after a bad early season loss is NOT the right timing.

The timing will wear off. It's his fifth year and he has multiple really bad losses and a team that doesn't play hard.

Firing Danny now might be bad timing, similar to firing Dino after three seasons of NCAA tournament appearances.

The freshmen are the best class Danny has recruited. Definitely a bad game. Two big contributors to the loss were turnovers and poor defense. Both can be attributed to inexperience, lack of communication and lack of experience playing together. From an outside observer's perspective, all these are theoretically fixable by coaching. The guys on the team are the guys Danny wanted to have.

He needs to be allowed to make a stronger case for his own firing by the coaching job he does. Even his "big man whisperer" reputation is taking a hit with Sarr's early season (bad) performance.

Even more important than when Dino was let go, the departure of Danny Manning from Wake has to be done right. IMHO, reaction firing after a bad early season loss is NOT the right timing.

I think these are all reasonable thoughts, but I disagree with a few of them. The current scenario certainly isn't anything like firing Dino after he made the second round of the NCAA tournament. Firing Manning now would be good timing, as others have pointed out, as it would give Wake a leg up on other schools looking for coaches. It would also allow Wake to put together a really strong financial package for the new coaching staff. If Manning were fired now, Wellman could just make a brief statement that Wake's program is trending in the wrong direction, and for that reason Manning is being let go. I think very few in the college basketball world would disagree with that assessment, and the timing would be right to help, not hurt, the next search.

Why do we need to spend time looking for Coaches? Miller and Kelsey are right here. Why doesnt Wellman ever go to their games? Confused by that.

Why do we need to spend time looking for Coaches? Miller and Kelsey are right here. Why doesnt Wellman ever go to their games? Confused by that.

I don't think we need to spend time looking, I think we need to spend time setting up the right package and recruiting the right coach, just like we did with Clawson. This board wanted Pete Lembo, but it is now very, very clear that Clawson is a great match for Wake Forest. This is what Clawson said after the game yesterday, "I thank God every day that I get to coach at a place like [Wake Forest] and lead young men like the way we have them." (Les has a lot of other great quotes here https://247sports.com/college/wake-...Duke-59-7-to-become-bowl-eligible--125255385/ ) We need the equivalent of Clawson for the basketball program.

I have no idea who Pete Lembo is. So, I doubt I wanted him.

If DM goes winless in conference play, which I strongly suspect will happen, I think he’s gone and RW will not be allowed to make the next hire for MBB. At this point, I’m guessing we need an embarrassing season overall before the administration and BOT will step in and hire a search consultant and also get backing for a huge compensation package for the incoming crew. I don’t think we will go for an up and coming coach after 10 years of ineptitude. Not worth the risk and we don’t have the time to see if it will work out...

I don't think we need to spend time looking, I think we need to spend time setting up the right package and recruiting the right coach, just like we did with Clawson. This board wanted Pete Lembo, but it is now very, very clear that Clawson is a great match for Wake Forest. This is what Clawson said after the game yesterday, "I thank God every day that I get to coach at a place like [Wake Forest] and lead young men like the way we have them." (Les has a lot of other great quotes here https://247sports.com/college/wake-...Duke-59-7-to-become-bowl-eligible--125255385/ ) We need the equivalent of Clawson for the basketball program.

Bingo.

Such a horrible take. If you have watched basketball under Manning, the defense gets worse, the longer he has coached them. It is basically his hallmark. You can tell a Manning coached team by their lack of intensity and their bad defense. Manning has been extremely consistently bad and trending worse.

Any coach that would be cowed by Manning's firing should never set foot on Wake's campus. That kind of guy will just get chewed up in the ACC.

I don’t think we will go for an up and coming coach after 10 years of ineptitude. Not worth the risk and we don’t have the time to see if it will work out...

God, I hope you are wrong. The only established coach that would come to Wake now would be some old tired has been looking for one more job before retirement.

Sounds like a perfect Wellman hire. Guaranteed to be better than BZ and Manning but with zero upside and no chance of getting to the top half of the conference.

If we are going to do that, just pull the plug.

God, I hope you are wrong. The only established coach that would come to Wake now would be some old tired has been looking for one more job before retirement.

I don't think that's correct. Wake has a lot of things going for it that other schools just do not, and will not, ever have (the main one being a member of the ACC). Imagine this scenario - Wake fires Manning and then contacts a few donors with deep pockets (Shah, Sutton, Paul, Donaldross, etc) to line up a really strong package. The package is privately floated to a few key agents. Tweaks are made. Then, 3 days after Wichita State loses their last game of the year, Gregg Marshall is announced as the new coach at Wake.

I can understand someone not wanting Wake to fire Manning now lest it look amateurish and reactionary. I disagree, but I can see it.

As to the rest - woof. Poor defense is Manning's calling card irrespective of his players' experience level. Also, short of walking to center court at halftime, dropping trou, and taking a dump, he is not capable of making a stronger on-court case for his own firing.

But the bolded is my favorite. Yes, a good coach fixes players' mistakes. We're in year five and we're getting the same shitty mistakes. Ergo...

Has Gregg Marshall ever seriously entertained any jobs since going to Wichita State? He’d be an absolute wet dream.

Also he’s bois with guitardeac so we’d get so many scoops.

I don't think that's correct. Wake has a lot of things going for it that other schools just do not, and will not, ever have (the main one being a member of the ACC). Imagine this scenario - Wake fires Manning and then contacts a few donors with deep pockets (Shah, Sutton, Paul, Donaldross, etc) to line up a really strong package. The package is privately floated to a few key agents. Tweaks are made. Then, 3 days after Wichita State loses their last game of the year, Gregg Marshall is announced as the new coach at Wake.

He was my choice a while back. I don't think he is coming. Even so, he is not so young anymore. I would love to have him here so that Wake fans could see good basketball again.

Would still prefer someone younger as a long term solution.

Has Gregg Marshall ever seriously entertained any jobs since going to Wichita State? He’d be an absolute wet dream.

He entertained our job. Just said it would take a Brinks truck full of money dumped on his lawn to come here.

Time for donaldross to put up or shut up

He entertained our job. Just said it would take a Brinks truck full of money dumped on his lawn to come here.

Time for donaldross to put up or shut up

That's not entertaining our job. It's a nice way to say he didn't want it. Remember with bonuses, he could make in excess of $3M at Wichita and has a job for life.

Back