• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WHY is he still our basketball coach?

You sure they haven't ruled us out before even considering manning might be gone? I don't think serious coaches will touch WFU with Wellman at the helm. Add to that the past 9 years have destroyed any history, quality or recruiting value that we had. Now it's a very tough rebuild with a destroyed fanbase, disinterested AD and nightmare sell to recruits. Who wants that?

I'm sure it has been damaged but I don't agree with the bolded. The fact that we have been able to recruit guys like Brown, Hoard, Mucius - even Sarr - given our recent history is pretty amazing and shows a good coach with a little success would have no problem recruiting talent to Wake.

I'm sure it has been damaged but I don't agree with the bolded. The fact that we have been able to recruit guys like Brown, Hoard, Mucius - even Sarr - given our recent history is pretty amazing and shows a good coach with a little success would have no problem recruiting talent to Wake.

I agree with this. If we get a good coach, the rest will take care of itself. It may take time, but it will happen. The longer we delay the inevitable, though (spending a ton of money on a proven staff to take over this clusterfuck) the longer it will take to become competitive again.

I agree with this. If we get a good coach, the rest will take care of itself. It may take time, but it will happen. The longer we delay the inevitable, though (spending a ton of money on a proven staff to take over this clusterfuck) the longer it will take to become competitive again.

We are approaching a DECADE of ineptitude. I just don't see getting a decent coach, let alone Wellman making a change. If the past 9 years hasn't motivated him, why would he do it now, next season or the next? He could have gotten a good coach 9 years ago, a solid one 5 years ago. Instead he's twice opted for an obscure out of the blue hire. Even IF Wellman made a change today, he's more likely to bring in yet another shot in the dark than to get the Good coach we're all hoping for.

Even IF Wellman made a change today, he's more likely to bring in yet another shot in the dark than to get the Good coach we're all hoping for.

Whether you think Wellman will make a good choice, or whether you even believe Wellman will have much say in the next choice, there's no reason to keep moving forward with Manning. Might as well try another Wellman retread at this point. The ONLY thing that could change that would be the assurance that Wellman is retiring this summer. Otherwise, what is there to lose?

kenpom probability
16%
6%
35%
23%
0.2%
13%

is a 9-22 season bad?

For you stat heads out there, here are probabilities (based on KenPom) that Wake will lose ALL remaining games or win AT LEAST ONE remaining game:

Win Prob Loss Prob
16.0% 84.0%
6.0% 94.0%
35.0% 65.0%
23.0% 77.0%
0.2% 99.8%
13.0% 87.0%

Lose all remaining games: 34.3%
Win at least one remaining game: 65.7%

Last edited:
16% chance against a basketball non power that is 3-9, in the conference. Of course ND is a part of Manning's 100% club.

Amazing how bad the bottom of the conf is.

BC 4-8
ND 3-10
Miami 3-10
GT 3-10
Wake 3-10
Pitt 2-11

I wouldn't see much difference between playing any of these teams on the first day of the ACCT.

What's our chance of winning one more before the ACCT now? I'd think it would be higher now.

Amazing how bad the bottom of the conf is.

BC 4-8
ND 3-10
Miami 3-10
GT 3-10
Wake 3-10
Pitt 2-11

I wouldn't see much difference between playing any of these teams on the first day of the ACCT.

There's not a huge difference between them all, at least not compared to the difference between them and us.

KP:
Miami - 74
Pitt - 81
ND - 91
GT - 109
BC - 111
Wake - 174

Whether you think Wellman will make a good choice, or whether you even believe Wellman will have much say in the next choice, there's no reason to keep moving forward with Manning. Might as well try another Wellman retread at this point. The ONLY thing that could change that would be the assurance that Wellman is retiring this summer. Otherwise, what is there to lose?

5 more years. My point is I don't think Wellman fires manning. Period. He's all in on this "Home run" hire.

is a 9-22 season bad? not for DM, imagine losing to a Manning coached team

Like our next coach lost to Manning with some of his best teams?

There's not a huge difference between them all, at least not compared to the difference between them and us.

KP:
Miami - 74
Pitt - 81
ND - 91
GT - 109
BC - 111
Wake - 174

Pitt at 81 wonder how that works out in KP. We are 2-3 against the day 1 ACCT group with 3 of those games having been on the road.

How long until THIS joke is over. if I were currie i would have made sure written in the contract would be danny mannings office would be cleared upon his arrival.

To answer the original thread question: yes, but not for long.

tick tock ya DO stop...when you're program has been razed to the earth. Well done Ronnie WellManning. Bravo!

Wish the ACCT final was tonight, not in two weeks like it is now. Beware the Ides of March Danny.

Back