• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WHY is he still our basketball coach?

ogboards when things don't happen immediately:

tenor.gif

There’s been too many examples of things not happening at all. Thus the anxiety over things not happening period...much less immediately.

There’s been too many examples of things not happening at all. Thus the anxiety over things not happening period...much less immediately.

Correct. It’s been nine years. We’ve been too patient.

one of the best weeks in Wake sports history with boys tennis winning against UVA, girls tennis winning in conference, big ACC baseball series win, Heppenstell amazing, girls golf dominating over a great field, boys golf in first place yet the administration won't take us out of our misery by announcing that our basketball coach has stepped aside.

Not really sure which of the three-or-four semi-appropriate threads I should put this, but I did want to share some of the work I've done in the last six days to kind of prep everyone for the week ahead:

Just published this on the legacy-defining decision that looms for Ron Wellman

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...etic-director-Ron-Wellmans-legacy--130232617/

I researched all ACC coaches from the last 30 years, looking for Manning's resume doppelganger, wondering if there's anyone who had an initial rough first-five year run who was able to turn it around to be successful in this conference

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...-ACC-coaching-resume-doppelganger--130067213/

Early last week, I put this together on 'should he stay or should he go?'

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...st-Basketball-coach-Danny-Manning--130029690/

Thanks as always for your support. I've tried to set the table for what could be a pretty crazy week.

Wellman inherited coach Dave Odom as men’s basketball coach, who had an incredible run of success. The hire of Skip Prosser was universally applauded and Wake had a streak of playing in either the NCAA or NIT Tournament in 16-straight seasons with those two coaches. That run extended to 18-out-of-20 during the Dino Gaudio years. It was just a little more than 10 years ago where Gaudio’s were ranked No. 1 in the nation with a team comprised of Al-Farouq Aminu, Gary Clark, James Johnson, Ish Smith, Jeff Teague and L.D. Williams.

Just. Ten. Years. Ago.

Fuck you Ron Wellman!

Could Wellman give the vote of confidence and then Currie overrules on May 1st and still fires him?

Could Wellman give the vote of confidence and then Currie overrules on May 1st and still fires him?

I can't believe that Wellman is anything more than a puppet at this point. Wake is letting this play out in Wellman's favor so he can save face, but the decision is not his. No way he has any say in this decision.

And plenty of others have suggested he's not because of the buyout.

But read together with what we've heard about the AD change I think he's gone. It's a reasonable conclusion that the boosters said they wouldn't pay Manning's buyout if Wellman was hiring the next coach. The change was made so my guess is still that he's gone.

Heard this weekend that we can all thank Bill Ferguson for delaying the announcement until Tuesday at 1:30. Needed to create some separation between the two stories.

We'd be stuck hiring an interim that late in the game. I'd be better with that than taking a big gamble with one of the lower mid-major names being talked about around here. Would give us a full year to market the position. The new practice facilities would be (near?) complete. We could make a big announcement about Joel renovations. Raise some money. Put together a whole marketing campaign about Wake getting serious about basketball again. And then go hire the best damn coach money can buy.

Last edited:
if there is a press conference it will be to announce his "resignation" rather than firing. Still silly but wellman is an arrogant donk.

Not silly. Likely creates a significant difference in what the buyout is if he "resigns" as opposed to being fired. Saves Wake some cash, Danny saves face. Win-win. (That's more winning than we've done lately.) Everything's a negotiation.

The old board brought an ESPN show to its knees. It's time for us to do the same to Wellman, Hatch and the Winston-Salem Journal if Danny isn't gone by noon tomorrow.

The old board brought an ESPN show to its knees. It's time for us to do the same to Wellman, Hatch and the Winston-Salem Journal if Danny isn't gone by noon tomorrow.

I don't remember this. Details?

Don't get hung up on that date and time. Remember the formal announcement of Jeff [Redacted]'s departure was on Thursday. Negotiations sometimes take a little while.

Besides, many of the coaches high on lists of candidates to be Wake's next head basketball coach are busy coaching in tournaments.

Thad Matta is the only one not currently coaching.

Everytime I check this board and Manning is still our coach...

giphy.gif

Back