• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WHY is he still our basketball coach?

Sure, but Wake is not hiring Marshall or anybody like him. Marshall is way too brash, aggressive, and "colorful" to be a candidate at WF. Even if another AD in the future were inclined to hire him, I expect somebody higher up the food chain would squelch it.

This.

Except for hiring Skip Prosser, every major decision that Wellman has made for our basketball program has been negative or at best questionable. There is something he just does not understand about basketball, it is more likely he got lucky with hiring Skip than he knew what he was doing.

That's a possible explanation - that he understands all sports except basketball and made a lucky hire with Skip. I think a more realistic explanation is that he made two major mistakes (firing Dino when he did and hiring [Redacted]), and those mistakes continue to affect the program. I think his firing of Dino gave him a poor reputation in the NCAA basketball coaching community, which made it difficult for him during the coaching search that ended with Manning. In my opinion, that is why Pat Kelsey would not be an option as long as Wellman is still the AD - there's a lot of bad blood there. I think for many potential coaches the Dino handling is now less of an issue, as a lot of time has passed, but I do also think a basketball coaching search at Wake will involve a lot more people than just Wellman this time.

Wishful thinking. Ain't happening.

It happened to a large degree with Clawson. Much of the heavy lifting and communication during that search was conducted by Mike Buddie. It can happen again.

Except for hiring Skip Prosser, every major decision that Wellman has made for our basketball program has been negative or at best questionable. There is something he just does not understand about basketball, it is more likely he got lucky with hiring Skip than he knew what he was doing.

I know this will not be a popular opinion but Skip was not a great hire. He was a great guy & a wonderful representative of our university but he was not an improvement over Odom & there were a ton of other more promising coaches available when the job came open. Many X fans were ready to see Prosser go because of his consistent underachieving in postseason (which continued & perhaps even increased at WF). Many WF fans had also starting complaining about the late season collapses & recruiting misses before his death.

I know this will not be a popular opinion but Skip was not a great hire. He was a great guy & a wonderful representative of our university but he was not an improvement over Odom & there were a ton of other more promising coaches available when the job came open. Many X fans were ready to see Prosser go because of his consistent underachieving in postseason (which continued & perhaps even increased at WF). Many WF fans had also starting complaining about the late season collapses & recruiting misses before his death.

I agree. I didn't say hiring Prosser was a great decision, it just the one decision that wasn't bad or debatably bad. Prosser was fine and brought a new energy to the program that had been lacking for several seasons. Letting Odom go was debatably bad (he was a great coach in the 90's and the program was definitely on an upward trajectory), hiring Gaudio was bad, firing Gaudio was bad, hiring Bz was awful, retaining Bz after the 2nd season was bad, retaining Bz after the 3rd season was awful, hiring Manning was debatably bad, retaining Manning after the 4th season was bad. Welman has completely mismanaged this specific position and he should not be trusted to make the next hire. He has made one positive personnel decision for our basketball program, I don't really care how well the other programs have fared under his leadership, he should not touch this coaching search. Personally, I don't even trust him to make a change at the end of this season; we are all talking about who is going to be our next coach, but there is no guarantee we will been in the market for one in the spring.

It happened to a large degree with Clawson. Much of the heavy lifting and communication during that search was conducted by Mike Buddie. It can happen again.

Mike Buddie is now the AD at Furman.

He was a good hire. Far better than who we thought we could get. Who did you have in mind at the time?

wake hiring skip was the best thing ever to happen to xavier basketball

wake hiring skip was the best thing ever to happen to xavier basketball

If you’re going that route, I’d say Wake hiring Bob Staak was the best thing to ever happen to Xavier basketball

He was a good hire. Far better than who we thought we could get. Who did you have in mind at the time?

I recall that few had heard of him before the hire and coming from X wasn't a great sign after the Staak debacle. There was some reassurance due the fact that Prosser turned down ND a couple of years before. I wanted Matta at the time.

Back