• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WHY is he still our basketball coach?

Skip was a good recruiter, a great motivator, a decent offensive coach. His weakness was defense.

To say he was a bad hire is crazy, IMO. He was an iconic coach for Wake. There is more to great coaching than championships. Skip had an incredible influence on lots of folk and not just his players.

I recall that few had heard of him before the hire and coming from X wasn't a great sign after the Staak debacle. There was some reassurance due the fact that Prosser turned down ND a couple of years before. I wanted Matta at the time.

We had played X in the NIT a few years prior. People who followed college hoops knew him. My reaction when we got Skip was “We can get him?”

Keep in mind our last two hires had been a failed head coach and current assistant coach and the X head coach before X became a legit program.

I agree. I didn't say hiring Prosser was a great decision, it just the one decision that wasn't bad or debatably bad. Prosser was fine and brought a new energy to the program that had been lacking for several seasons. Letting Odom go was debatably bad (he was a great coach in the 90's and the program was definitely on an upward trajectory), hiring Gaudio was bad, firing Gaudio was bad, hiring Bz was awful, retaining Bz after the 2nd season was bad, retaining Bz after the 3rd season was awful, hiring Manning was debatably bad, retaining Manning after the 4th season was bad. Welman has completely mismanaged this specific position and he should not be trusted to make the next hire. He has made one positive personnel decision for our basketball program, I don't really care how well the other programs have fared under his leadership, he should not touch this coaching search. Personally, I don't even trust him to make a change at the end of this season; we are all talking about who is going to be our next coach, but there is no guarantee we will been in the market for one in the spring.

This is a good post.

Sure, but Wake is not hiring Marshall or anybody like him. Marshall is way too brash, aggressive, and "colorful" to be a candidate at WF. Even if another AD in the future were inclined to hire him, I expect somebody higher up the food chain would squelch it.
I suspect that's why bball is so different from the other sports as far as finding a coach. It's high profile and the higher ups/Wake blue bloods worry about image more than coaching ability so that kind of handicaps the search. I don't think it's all Wellman because he finds good coaches everywhere else....where image isn't important.

Not sure image is going to be such a concern with the next hire though. They have to be getting as tired of losing as everyone else and making the search harder isn't working. Prosser was perfect for Wake, but finding another Prosser is not easy. We're at the point where a brash, outspoken coach like Marshall might be acceptable.

In the context of Wake basketball Skip Prosser was a great hire. And I was no sunshine and lollipops Skip fan. His wheel of fortune rotations and matador defensive schemes were maddening but he put some quality talent on the court and Wake Forest mattered. We could beat anyone at any time. It was a blast.

Now we are a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage to quote Miles or Bukowski....

I just got a phone call from a reporter with a number from Kentucky. He wanted a comment on the state of wake forest bball. Said he wanted to talk to me since we put up the billboard. I told him I wasnt interested. If anyone wants to talk to the guy let me know.

Ron tried to make Danny look as good as possible making the softest schedule imaginable, and we probably still ain't hitting double-digit wins.

Is he still here?

Ron tried to make Danny look as good as possible making the softest schedule imaginable, and we probably still ain't hitting double-digit wins.

Is he still here?

Pathetic. Leave the staff in Virginia.

Is he still our coach? Well he does sit on our sideline but not sure he coaches anything

Ronnie is in the lockerroom now following the big Richmond loss- let's hope that he does the right thing.

Randolph looks so pissed on the sideline, watching him play with so much heart, now being called a coach for this shit. It must be killing him.it is me.

Seriously, Nestor should be made interim coach before the team bus makes it back to W-S.

He was brought in this season for a reason- let's see what he can do. Couldn't be any worse.

Likely will be much better.

We have 11 days between the Charlotte and Davidson games. Seems like that's the best time to send Danny packing. Gives the interim coach a little bit of time to right the ship.

Back