• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WHY is he still our basketball coach?

Should not have fired Dino when and how we did.

It was both the timing, coming off a pretty good season and the rhetoric surrounding the firing.

Dino never said anything publicly, but he had to be upset with the blame for things that happened after he was gone.

Also the "lack of post season success" as the reason for firing Dino rang pretty hollow when his successor had less.

It was both the timing, coming off a pretty good season and the rhetoric surrounding the firing.

Dino never said anything publicly, but he had to be upset with the blame for things that happened after he was gone.

Also the "lack of post season success" as the reason for firing Dino rang pretty hollow when his successor had less.

Not to mention the whisper campaign about culture and such that somehow got parroted by Dino’s new employer during every broadcast.

If given the choice, I would've taken an extra year of Redacted over five years of Reblackted.

For sure I'd keep Dino firstly. I think the culture bullshit was just Ronny covering his ass for a dumb dumb mistake. I feel if there was truth to these rumors something concrete would have come out by now.

The problem with Ronnie is that he's a baseball guy who tried to hire two coaches by himself in basketball. Take it from a guy who played baseball non stop for the first 22 years of my life, it's just such a different game from basketball recruiting wise, strategy wise and preparation wise.

In the buzz hire he hires that dead fish not knowing how much a coach's charisma and motivational factor plays into basketball. In baseball my coaches wouldn't ever give a half time speech and would basically sit on the end of the bench chewing something.

Then he hires Manning not realizing how much preparation and in game decisions are involved in basketball. In baseball sure there's some strategy but not to the extent of constant quick decisions in basketball. Also really a good practice coach is much less important in baseball in college. By that time we all know what we need to do and conditioning isn't really a factor. So he picks a guy with no experience building programs thinking that his NBA accolades alone would do.

I'm convinced he won't retire sadly until he sees the ship righted. The baseball guy needs to find basketball guys to find the next coach. People who understand that you can't just roll out the balls and win like u could in baseball.

I'm not a big fan of Urban Meyer but he is a hell of a coach. I bet he could do at least as good as Manning as a basketball coach if you gave him a couple quality assistants.

I mean I don’t even read this as hyperbole.

For sure I'd keep Dino firstly. I think the culture bullshit was just Ronny covering his ass for a dumb dumb mistake.
The "culture issue" is something EVERY coach and AD believes in, or at least uses to define a program. It's not unique to Ron Wellman. What his repeated use of the term in the face of real issues told me was that he was more upset about the prior culture than he was about what was currently going on with the team....or more likely high end boosters were more worried and he kept reminding them.....so losing in the post-season was not the reason Dino was fired. Other than that it is really just meaningless coach-/AD-speak.

The ACC Sports Journal has an article on Manning and his contract. They find it to be inconceivable that DM got a contract for 3 million x 6 years. I agree. They also say that Wellman had to have administrative checks and balances to keep him from doing something so idiotic.

For sure I'd keep Dino firstly. I think the culture bullshit was just Ronny covering his ass for a dumb dumb mistake. I feel if there was truth to these rumors something concrete would have come out by now.

The problem with Ronnie is that he's a baseball guy who tried to hire two coaches by himself in basketball. Take it from a guy who played baseball non stop for the first 22 years of my life, it's just such a different game from basketball recruiting wise, strategy wise and preparation wise.

In the buzz hire he hires that dead fish not knowing how much a coach's charisma and motivational factor plays into basketball. In baseball my coaches wouldn't ever give a half time speech and would basically sit on the end of the bench chewing something.

Then he hires Manning not realizing how much preparation and in game decisions are involved in basketball. In baseball sure there's some strategy but not to the extent of constant quick decisions in basketball. Also really a good practice coach is much less important in baseball in college. By that time we all know what we need to do and conditioning isn't really a factor. So he picks a guy with no experience building programs thinking that his NBA accolades alone would do.

I'm convinced he won't retire sadly until he sees the ship righted. The baseball guy needs to find basketball guys to find the next coach. People who understand that you can't just roll out the balls and win like u could in baseball.

So if in game and practice coaching don't really matter in baseball what makes a good baseball coach?

The ACC Sports Journal has an article on Manning and his contract. They find it to be inconceivable that DM got a contract for 3 million x 6 years. I agree. They also say that Wellman had to have administrative checks and balances to keep him from doing something so idiotic.

What was reported may have been a misinterpretation of an overheard remark. Maybe something along the lines if " if he finishes this, he could make $18 million from Wake." That would include all the first contract, plus any buyout help plus bonuses. May not be his buyout number, or even close to it.

"You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means (where Wellman is concerned)."

So if in game and practice coaching don't really matter in baseball what makes a good baseball coach?

I think they matter but much less than basketball. IMO 80 percent of college baseball comes down to having better talent, 10 percent luck and 10 percent coaching . College basketball is more like 40 percent talent, 40 percent coaching, 20 percent luck. Basketball guys feel free to correct me.

What was reported may have been a misinterpretation of an overheard remark. Maybe something along the lines if " if he finishes this, he could make $18 million from Wake." That would include all the first contract, plus any buyout help plus bonuses. May not be his buyout number, or even close to it.

Wasn’t it Jeff Goodman who reported it?

fucking hell stop. every time i see this thread at the top i think "oh hell did it happen"

The "culture issue" is something EVERY coach and AD believes in, or at least uses to define a program. It's not unique to Ron Wellman. What his repeated use of the term in the face of real issues told me was that he was more upset about the prior culture than he was about what was currently going on with the team....or more likely high end boosters were more worried and he kept reminding them.....so losing in the post-season was not the reason Dino was fired. Other than that it is really just meaningless coach-/AD-speak.

too touch on this a bit...was having lunch with a coach at new hanover high school, he is 100 percent sure ty Walker got paid to come here. maybe we need that old culture back? not like the ncaa can do anything

Back