• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Bowl Game Thread

Hearing we are a solid contender for the Military again....

Military would have some interesting choices if Marshall beats VT -- not horrible travel for BC or Duke's fan bases and an obvious storyline with CPJ and GT. We did rep very well there two years ago but would tend to think they'd opt for another choice in a year with decent other options

You know Clawson is vouching HARD for the Military bowl because it is played on December 31st. This will give the Deacs more practice time and just as important, he will be home for the signing period.

You know Clawson is vouching HARD for the Military bowl because it is played on December 31st. This will give the Deacs more practice time and just as important, he will be home for the signing period.

We also recruit the DMV pretty hard these days.

Seems like GT would be a no brainer for the Military Bowl given Johnson’s retirement, but what do I know

Any updates on our bowl destination?

Since basketball is so depressing, I'd rather talk about a team that is doing well.

Any updates on our bowl destination?

Since basketball is so depressing, I'd rather talk about a team that is doing well.

follow joe Giglio on Twitter - he seems to have updated rumors/hot takes, including this one:

Last edited:
I guess we are a hot team. Two big road wins and a loss to the Coastal champ.

Payout for the Quick Lane Bowl is only $750,000. WTF ? Shreveport is $500K more.

If we ever make the Shreveport bowl I'd hope it'd be next year just because there's a decent chance I'll spend Christmas there

Payout for the Quick Lane Bowl is only $750,000. WTF ? Shreveport is $500K more.

In actuality, the payouts don't really matter because everything goes into the ACC pot and is divvied up amongst all the teams fairly equally with some travel monies and those kinds of things of course. It is just that Detroit is not a garden spot anybody wants to go to in late December. Tampa would be much better.

In actuality, the payouts don't really matter because everything goes into the ACC pot and is divvied up amongst all the teams fairly equally with some travel monies and those kinds of things of course. It is just that Detroit is not a garden spot anybody wants to go to in late December. Tampa would be much better.

Yeah, I know that. The point is that the Quick Lane Bowl is a net loss for the conference and the Military Bowl isn't any better.

Joe Giglio posted an update on what he is hearing on the ACC bowl scenarios. I updated my post from last night to include the new info from Joe.
This is all based on the scenario where VT beats Marshall.

Giglio sees Syracuse, NCSU, Miami, UVA, Pitt and VT filling the Camping World, Pinstripe, Belk, TaxSlayer (or Music City), Sun and Military Bowls.

That would leave the following teams:
Georgia Tech (7-5)
Boston College (7-5)
Duke (7-5)
Wake Forest (6-6)

Those 4 remaining teams would go to the following 4 bowls:
Quick Lane Bowl
Independence Bowl
Gasparilla Bowl
First Responder Bowl

The Quick Lane Bowl (Detroit) and Independence Bowl (Shreveport) would choose first. Either could choose Wake, but obviously they would have to choose the Deacs over a 7-5 team. The Quick Lane Bowl would likely avoid both Duke and Boston College since they played in that bowl in the last two years, so Georgia Tech would be the likely candidate.

The Gasparilla (Tampa) and First Responder (Dallas) would split up the two remaining teams.

Duke has indicated that they would not be willing to go to the Gasparilla (Tampa) because of the proximity to exams. So Duke will either head to the Shreveport or Dallas.

Based on Giglio’s information, I think the most likely outcome would be:
Georgia Tech to the Quick Lane (Detroit)
Boston College to the Independence (Shreveport)
Duke to the First Responder (Dallas)
Wake to the Gasparilla (Tampa)

But that’s just my speculation, but it sure seems like the chances of going to Tampa are on the uptick.

Giglio tweeted his updated projection with these exact matchups for Detroit, Shreveport, Dallas and Tampa. Under the assumption that VT wins. But he put them in pencil (meaning he doesn't think they are locked in, or he hasn't been able to confirm).

7230ae144b481a3f15ecc2773c0ee4a4.jpg

After looking at this team 4 weeks ago, my prayers have already been answered. Where ever, Whom ever, GO DEACS!

Back