• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Bowl Game Thread

Giglio's guesses from yesterday. He's less sure about the guesses in pencil.
DtLrrhnUcAAthlF.jpg:large

Does anyone think that Independence, Quick Lane or Heart of Dallas is most prestigious than Gasparilla? Does any of that matter? Are we happy making it this far and just looking for warm weather, good city, and one more game to get to a winning season?

5 years from now no none of the players are going to be looking at the draw string bag they received and cursing that they didn't play in the Quick Lane Bowl.

LETS GO TO TAMPA Y'ALL! Go Deacs.

I just want to play somebody new that were capable of competing with and let the kids go somewhere they'll have the most fun. They deserve it that sounds like Tampa to me

Tampa against Memphis that can be another score like last year don't they have a high-powered offense?

Does anyone think that Independence, Quick Lane or Heart of Dallas is most prestigious than Gasparilla? Does any of that matter? Are we happy making it this far and just looking for warm weather, good city, and one more game to get to a winning season?

5 years from now no none of the players are going to be looking at the draw string bag they received and cursing that they didn't play in the Quick Lane Bowl.

LETS GO TO TAMPA Y'ALL! Go Deacs.

Last year, the Gasparilla Bowl was Temple vs. FIU at Tropicana Field. It's not a prestigious bowl. The only ACC team to play their in 10 games was State in 2014. Miss State is the only other P5 team to play in it in 2016. Six FL teams have played in the game. Surprisingly, USF has only played in it once.

Detroit might be the most prestigious just in that we are by far most likely to play a P5 opponent there. Don't think that's happening anywhere else since there won't be enough big-boy conference teams left to fill the Indy/Tampa/etc. slots

Yeah, if you're playing in a bowl game in a city that hosts two bowl games every year, and you're playing in the one before Christmas, you're playing in a pretty crappy bowl game.

Yeah, if you're playing in a bowl game in a city that hosts two bowl games every year, and you're playing in the one before Christmas, you're playing in a pretty crappy bowl game.

Crappy bowl game at a crappy time, but in a legit city. Looks like those spots this year are Atlanta, Tampa, Orlando, New Orleans, Dallas. Better than comparable bowls in Boca Raton and Mobile.

Should VT lose to Marshall tomorrow, is GT and Coach Paul Johnson's retirement game their contingency plan? If so does that mean it's more likely Detroit for our Deacs?

Crappy bowl game at a crappy time, but in a legit city. Looks like those spots this year are Atlanta, Tampa, Orlando, New Orleans, Dallas. Better than comparable bowls in Boca Raton and Mobile.

only some of those are legit cities

To me, who and where we play is less important when you look back on the season than simply getting a W to keep our winning season streak alive.

Getting to play a P5 opponent but losing probably means little to recruits, vs Coach Clawson telling them, “At Wake we have winning seasons and we go to bowl games.”

I’m not saying we would lose to a P5 opponent; I’m just focusing on the fact that some people care most about who we play, when for me the win is all that matters.

Purdue, Memphis, Cincinnati, who cares, just win baby.

No idea if it's pure speculation or rooted in some sort of sources, but the Tulane blog believes that if UCF gets upset this weekend that the Gasparilla will take UCF if they also get an ACC opponent.

So that's at least something...

Our fans will travel well to Tampa, maybe even Dallas. That matters for future bowls. I’m not going to Shreveport or Detroit but I’d love to make the trip to Tampa.

What's the draw for Tampa besides the weather ? Are you people looking for sleazy chicks or something ?

Tampa is a cheap short flight or half day or less drive for most of the fan base. Not expensive hotels or entertainment. Lots of new options. City has recently hosted the national championship and Super Bowl. Raymond James is a great stadium.

You know Clawson is vouching HARD for the Military bowl because it is played on December 31st. This will give the Deacs more practice time and just as important, he will be home for the signing period.

Tampa is a cheap short flight or half day or less drive for most of the fan base. Not expensive hotels or entertainment. Lots of new options. City has recently hosted the national championship and Super Bowl. Raymond James is a great stadium.

Plus a bunch of us will be staying at PH’s place.

Back