• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Bowl Game Thread

We play on the other side of the conference we have 2-3 more wins.

No. Last I saw 76 of the 78 spots were spoken for. If more than 78 teams get 6 wins, a G5 6 win team won’t make a bowl.

LOL
484f7e6efa7bd3cacbf3a32365ef9d1f.jpg

Clear your cookies. Now. That's embarrassing.

No. Last I saw 76 of the 78 spots were spoken for. If more than 78 teams get 6 wins, a G5 6 win team won’t make a bowl.

When was the last time a bowl eligible ACC team didn't get a bid? Has there been one since 2001, Grobe's first season when we went 6-5 but stayed home?

Wonder how our fortunes were shaped by UVA fumbling in OT yesterday. Because now VT is going to beat Marshall and become eligible. I guess in either scenario we weren’t getting the military bowl.

It is almost certain that by the end of the day there will be more bowl eligible teams than spots. So some 6 win teams will be staying home.

The ACC has 10 bowl eligible teams, but Virginia Tech will become #11 assuming they beat Marshall on December 1st.

The ACC has 10 clear bowl tie-ins, with the 10th being listed as the Gasparilla Bowl (Tampa) OR the First Responders Bowl (Dallas). Joe Giglio is assuming that the ACC will send teams to both Tampa AND Dallas. That must be based on the assumption that the Big 10 won’t fill a spot in the First Responders Bowl (Dallas) and that spot would go to the ACC. That may be the case, but the Big 10 situation has some uncertainty. But if the ACC does send teams to both Tampa and Dallas, then that would be 11 teams for 11 bowls (assuming VT wins).

So with a lot still to be clarified (especially with respect to the Dallas game), here is my early handicapping on where Wake ends up:
Gasparilla Bowl - Tampa, FL on 12/20 at 8pm (50% chance)
First Responders Bowl – Dallas, TX on 12/26 at 1:30pm (20% chance)
Quick Lane Bowl – Detroit, MI on 12/26 at 5:15pm (10% chance)
Independence Bowl – Shreveport, LA on 12/27 at 1:30pm (10% chance)
Other Bowl (10% chance)

It would be premature to rule out Detroit and Shreveport, but I don’t think they are likely. It also seems possible (although even more unlikely) that Wake ends up in a bowl outside of the ACC tie-ins.

The Gasparilla Bowl won’t be desirable for any ACC team because more of the game prep will need to take place during exams. Wake finishes exams on 12/15.

It is almost certain that by the end of the day there will be more bowl eligible teams than spots. So some 6 win teams will be staying home.

The ACC has 10 bowl eligible teams, but Virginia Tech will become #11 assuming they beat Marshall on December 1st.

The ACC has 10 clear bowl tie-ins, with the 10th being listed as the Gasparilla Bowl (Tampa) OR the First Responders Bowl (Dallas). Joe Giglio is assuming that the ACC will send teams to both Tampa AND Dallas. That must be based on the assumption that the Big 10 won’t fill a spot in the First Responders Bowl (Dallas) and that spot would go to the ACC. That may be the case, but the Big 10 situation has some uncertainty. But if the ACC does send teams to both Tampa and Dallas, then that would be 11 teams for 11 bowls (assuming VT wins).

So with a lot still to be clarified (especially with respect to the Dallas game), here is my early handicapping on where Wake ends up:
Gasparilla Bowl - Tampa, FL on 12/20 at 8pm (50% chance)
First Responders Bowl – Dallas, TX on 12/26 at 1:30pm (20% chance)
Quick Lane Bowl – Detroit, MI on 12/26 at 5:15pm (10% chance)
Independence Bowl – Shreveport, LA on 12/27 at 1:30pm (10% chance)
Other Bowl (10% chance)

It would be premature to rule out Detroit and Shreveport, but I don’t think they are likely. It also seems possible (although even more unlikely) that Wake ends up in a bowl outside of the ACC tie-ins.

The Gasparilla Bowl won’t be desirable for any ACC team because more of the game prep will need to take place during exams. Wake finishes exams on 12/15.

That’s helpful thx - and no chance we ge shut out?

Any power 5 team would be the first choice for a fill-in

Wonder how our fortunes were shaped by UVA fumbling in OT yesterday. Because now VT is going to beat Marshall and become eligible. I guess in either scenario we weren’t getting the military bowl.

Not so fast on assuming VT will automatically beat a pretty good Marshall team that can score points. This is the same VT team that lost to 0-3 ODU and is really undermanned on the defensive side of the ball.

Makes sense and would be fabulous given our 6-6 season. Solves the crowd issue, or at least should, and is a nice locale for those of us traveling from NC in December.

Good time too. Thursday the 20th. Doesn’t interfere with Christmas plans. Take two days off and fly down early Thursday or come down Tuesday and make a vacation out of it. Weather will be great.

Back