• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Bowl Game Thread

Is the expectation that we’ll have to wait for the VT result to know for sure? Or that we’ll lock something in this week?

Bowl destinations are announced next Sunday. Sometimes info leaks out about some bowl tie-ins, but doubt that we will have early info on WF's bowl because of so many contingencies.

Hey, gang, as you can see I live in Alabama. (Huntsville) The Birmingham Bowl would mean that I could attend, but you guys don't know how AWFUL Legion Field is as a venue. No parking, located in a totally shitty and dangerous part of town.

If last year was any indication follow Joe Giglio Twitter this week

Did he have good insight on bowls beyond the Belk Bowl?

Hey, gang, as you can see I live in Alabama. (Huntsville) The Birmingham Bowl would mean that I could attend, but you guys don't know how AWFUL Legion Field is as a venue. No parking, located in a totally shitty and dangerous part of town.

Im in the same boat. Lived in Bham for 8 years and went to grad school at UAB. As far as Birmingham has come, Legion Field has not been shown any love.

Both sets of ESPN projections have Wake going to Tampa.

Bowl destinations are announced next Sunday. Sometimes info leaks out about some bowl tie-ins, but doubt that we will have early info on WF's bowl because of so many contingencies.
When does VT play Marshall? I hope the thundering herd beat the living hell out of them.

Really want to be in Tampa vs. Houston. Wake needs to troll their bowl game twitter like they did with Belk last year.

Both sets of ESPN projections have Wake going to Tampa.

A few more notes on the ESPN projections.

The first set (Bonagura) excludes VT. They also have LSU excluded from the New Year's Six. That pushes Vanderbilt down to the Birmingham Bowl and blocks an ACC team from going there.

The second set (Sherman) includes VT, but has them in Birmingham. Joe Giglio has VT going to the Military if they qualify and I agree with those of you that have said that Giglio is the most reliable resource. ESPN's Sherman has an ACC school in Birmingham because he has LSU in the New Year's Six and that pulls Vanderbilt up a notch in the SEC hierarchy (opening up Birmingham for the 11th ACC school).

Have a few friends that saw the SC Gamecocks play Uconn there a few years back, and they pretty much say the same thing. I see it gets labelled as 'Historic" Legion Field, which seems to be a euphemism for "neglected and occasionally structurally unsound". Of the possibilities mentioned, I have spent the least time in Birmingham, so I know nothing about the rest of the town.

Did he have good insight on bowls beyond the Belk Bowl?

Joe has the best info on ACC bowls out there. He’s hitting at like a 95% clip last 4-5 years. He’s got really good sources on bowls.

While we wait for something from Joe Giglio, I’ll throw out a couple of items from far less reliable sources.

There is a small time website in Florida that is claiming that the “Gasparilla Bowl is looking to land a couple of state teams that would assure them a strong crowd. There is a very good chance that the University of South Florida could be staying home to host the University of Miami in a dream matchup.”

The Miami-to-Tampa scenario is one that SB Nation suggested in their projections. If that were to happen, it would send Wake to either Shreveport or Detroit if VT were to lose to Marshall.

There is a Boston Herald article out this morning reporting a number of links between schools and bowls. But it’s not clear how much of it is scoop versus speculation. The end of the article says that “Virginia Tech could end up in the Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit on Dec. 26 if the Hokies beat Marshall. Wake would go to Detroit if Virginia Tech loses.”

So maybe Detroit and Shreveport are more likely than I thought (at least if VT loses to Marshall).

The Quick Lane Bowl would be a matchup against either Purdue or a MAC team (depending on how many teams the Big 10 puts in the New Year’s Six bowls).

Memphis has become a very popular pick as the AAC rep in the Birmingham Bowl. They would play either Vanderbilt or an ACC team.

The most puzzling scenario for Wake continues to be the one in which VT becomes the 11th bowl eligible ACC team and Vanderbilt takes the Birmingham spot.

Back