• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Bowl Game Thread

So seems like it's looking likely that either the SEC or the Big Ten will have spots open due to ny6 bowl tie ins

So seems like it's looking likely that either the SEC or the Big Ten will have spots open due to ny6 bowl tie ins

Absolutely. The Independence Bowl for sure and quite possibly the Quick Lane Bowl will have open spots left by the SEC and Big Ten. But both of those open spots would be matchups against ACC teams, so it wouldn't necessarily open up a path for an 11th ACC team. That leaves the First Responder (Dallas) as a potential landing spot if needed, as long as they don't pursue a regional matchup between Texas schools (with one of those schools being North Texas).

I’d be surprised if The Gator Bowl slips over Miami leaving them available for Tampa.

Conventional wisdom has the ACC sending a team to the Music City Bowl this year instead of the Gator (TaxSlayer). The ACC must be due a trip to Nashville.

Miami has been a popular pick to go to Shreveport. So its possible that the Canes would have to choose between Tampa and Shreveport.

Giglio posted that an ACC team can opt out of Tampa due to exams. It seems like the last choice ACC could end up there.

Flights to Tampa from DC are $357 right now, which of you lobbyist bros is gonna charter the jet for us?

Athlon has us not getting a bid which is basically impossible.

Flights to Tampa from DC are $357 right now, which of you lobbyist bros is gonna charter the jet for us?

I assume that’s round trip. I fly to DC once or twice a year and flights are pretty cheap. Did you try Southwest or JetBlue?

Look at our ability to fill seats. We did well when we played Temple. BC and Miami don't fill the place up. BC were out done by Penn St by 3 to 1 at Yankee Stadium. VT travels well so root for Marshall.

The most puzzling scenario for Wake continues to be the one in which VT becomes the 11th bowl eligible ACC team and Vanderbilt takes the Birmingham spot.

I gotta think Birmingham and Shreve would team up on that to ensure the ACC and SEC don't get screwed. Birmingham picks before Shreve for the SEC but maybe they send Vandy to Shreve to free up a spot in Birmingham for the ACC.

That or Tampa and Dallas both take ACC teams

Last edited:
I assume that’s round trip. I fly to DC once or twice a year and flights are pretty cheap. Did you try Southwest or JetBlue?

I assume it's round trip too since he didn't mention he'd be putting down roots in Tampa and buying a house after the bowl game.

That'd be some Wake shit.

Yea and that ain't gonna happen. 100% not going to happen. One thing that Swofford has done a great job of during his tenure as Commish is to make sure that the ACC teams get a bowl bid during this new alignment during this BCS era of things. He finds a way to get teams into the places that the other Power 5 conferences don't have all of their team slots filled.

The AAC has 7 teams eligible.
The ACC has 10 teams eligible with VT pending with only 1 getting a playoff/New Years's slot [really can't see 9-3 Syracuse grabbing one].
The Big XII has only 7 teams eligible so some spots available in their slotted bowls with only 1 getting a possible playoff/New Years spot [can't see 9-3 Texas grabbing a spot unless they upset OK].
The Big Ten has 9 teams eligible and both Ohio St, Michigan & Penn State figure to get spots in the playoff and/or New Years precluding an upset by Northwestern taking another spot.
Conference USA has 7 teams bowl eligible.
Independents BYU, Notre Dame & Army are bowl eligible with the Domers going to the playoffs and Army, with a win over Navy going to 10-2 presenting an interesting question for folks as to what bowl to give them [even though they really haven't beaten anybody.
The MAC has 7 teams eligible
The Mountain West has 7 teams eligible.
The Pac 14 has 7 teams eligible so there has to be spots open there and they will not have a playoff team & maybe 2 New Years team [Washington & Wazu]
The SEC has 11 teams eligible for bowls, at least 1 team going to the playoffs and if UGa beats Bama maybe 2 teams in the playoffs. Maybe even 9-3 KY, 9-3 Florida or 9-3 LSU get New Years spots depending on the final rankings.
The Sun Belt has 6 teams eligible.

Yes, round trip. Checked Southwest, pretty much the same, JetBlue is more. All of this is conjecture, as no one is buying anything until its official. I'll just wait for timdunkandthefunk tells me what to do.

Gasparilla works really well from a date stand point, doesn't mess with Christmas or New Year plans. Dallas is tough the day after Christmas. Music City would be great, because Nashville is a hoot. Military would be an easy drive, though it lacks the flavor of a big city. Shreveport and Birmingham would be tough to get to.

Anyways, its fun to just think about all this right now. If you had asked me after Cuse if we would be bowling I would have said no, happy that this team fought the whole season.

I assume it's round trip too since he didn't mention he'd be putting down roots in Tampa and buying a house after the bowl game.

He would be tempted to though.

Yes, round trip. Checked Southwest, pretty much the same, JetBlue is more. All of this is conjecture, as no one is buying anything until its official. I'll just wait for timdunkandthefunk tells me what to do.

Gasparilla works really well from a date stand point, doesn't mess with Christmas or New Year plans. Dallas is tough the day after Christmas. Music City would be great, because Nashville is a hoot. Military would be an easy drive, though it lacks the flavor of a big city. Shreveport and Birmingham would be tough to get to.

Anyways, its fun to just think about all this right now. If you had asked me after Cuse if we would be bowling I would have said no, happy that this team fought the whole season.

Did you do Kayak?

Being Xmas time to FL, the prices are likely to be high.

I gotta think Birmingham and Shreve would team up on that to ensure the ACC and SEC don't get screwed. Birmingham picks before Shreve for the SEC but maybe they send Vandy to Shreve to free up a spot in Birmingham for the ACC.

That or Tampa and Dallas both take ACC teams

I wondered about this. Having the SEC help out the ACC in this scenario by moving Vanderbilt to Shreveport would make sense but Vandy just went there in 2016 (and lost badly). So they wouldn't make Vanderbilt do that. The win-win for the ACC and SEC would be to work with the AAC to get their team relocated (for example, by moving a team like Memphis to a bowl game in Dallas) and have an ACC team play Vandy in Birmingham. But not sure there is a precedent for breaking contracts like that. Would make a lot of sense though.

Back